5/26 NOW: Southern Plains eastward though TN/etc

Tornado watch out for western OK and svr Tstorm farther south...

RUC is showing increasingly favorable situation for tornadic supercells in western OK... Current mesoanalysis shows CAPEs >4000 in portions of central/western OK with RUC developing very favorable 0-3k helicity by 0z... Cells struggling currently near Elk City, but hopefully we can get initiation a little farther east, into the more moist air nearer I35... A cell is also going up sw of SPS...

Doug Kiesling and I are sitting in Altus hoping for something closer down here in the next hour or so ... best shear doesn't look to really kick in for another hour or so ... hoping for something to fire down here ... nice instability has developed ahead of the dl ... several areas of convection have attempted to break out, but they have so far been failing to really make the jump - - - looking at data now ... any guidance from you experts is of course appreciated, as always -

For all of you on the Clinton OK storm:

As the latest SPC MD discussed this storm is moving at nearly 40kts and is therefore most likely NOT rooted in the boundary layer. Thus, a limited tornado threat with this storm. If storm motion slows and it becomes rooted in the boundary layer tornado threat will increase. Also they mention that a watch might be required for OKC and points eastward later for all you fellow sooners hangin around norman.

The Pawnee storm will cross the Arkansas River soon and move into the Osage Res. Beware the best crossings look to be at Ralston and Cleveland. There is another crossing at Blackburn, but the road network looks less impressive there.

To the north the next crossing is Highway 60 at Ponca City.

TWC said many spotters on the Pawnee cell with confirmed tornados. Looks like that cell has split twice. The first left mover is actually holding together.

0742 PM TORNADO SOONER LAKE 36.41N 97.04W
05/26/2004 NOBLE OK AMATEUR RADIO
DAMAGE REPORTED ON THE WEST SIDE OF SOONER LAKE.
-------------------------
0740 PM TORNADO 13 W PAWNEE 36.34N 97.04W
05/26/2004 PAWNEE OK BROADCAST MEDIA
TORNADO REPORTED ON THE PAWNEE AND NOBLE COUNTY LINE JUST
NORTH OF THE INTERSTATE AND SOUTH OF SOONER LAKE. REPORTS
FROM MULTIPLE TV STORM CHASERS.

Mike

As you all can tel by the timing of this report, we were on the west-central OK cell. I went to work as usual, not really thinking I'd be chasing today. Got home an hour early, and decided to check data for my bud Eric Collins, who's in town till Sunday on his annual pilgrimage to the Plains to chase storms with me. When I called him, I was pleasantly surprised to find him still in his motel room. I told him I'd do a more extensive check and call him back. Within 30 minutes, we were rolling westbound towards the west-central OK storms (the only ones out there then).

Intercepted the tornado-warned cell in Hinton, OK, where a nice wallcloud with incredible rising motion and moderate rotation was in progress juat west of town. Within minutes, we were blasted by RFD from the WNW, as the storm began the first of a few cycles. The storm however, was never the same after the initial cycle, and we followed it east on OK37/152 back to Cogar/Minco?Union City, and finally Mustang.....where we sat and watched it die a slow, painful death, but not as painful as the live reports were started hearing from the Noble County storm, which is still in progress as I write this.

My OKC metro area curse continues, although I suppose that's a good thing to normal people. I'm wondering if anyone is on the Noble County storm, we saw everyone and their dog out there today. Overall ,my "behavior" report (pathetic we have these now as a standard portion of chase accounts) is good. The lone exception is the guy east of Union City, who stopped just off the road (with no shoulder) and proceeded to open his door - which stuck out a good 2-3 feet into our lane. If I hadn't shouted at Eric (who was watching the updraft out his window) we would've taken the guy's door off, and who knows what else. So whoever you are guy - you're welcome.

Just got a call from Angie Norris who's chasing with my girlfriend Jo.....they said they got a nice funnel. No details other than that, I'm sure she'll post those later in her own report. Anyway, pleasantly surprising and relaxing local chase, but no fruit. I'd love to be up north right now on those twin cells....Tulsa looking to have an imminent Tornado Emergency situation before long.

Who says 2% slight risk days are junk???

Back