5/22/07 FCST: TX / OK / KS / NE / SD

Status
Not open for further replies.
Also gotta realize CAPE has been, in many cases so far this season, consistently underforecasted by the models...even leading right up to the event. As such, it would not be out of the question to meet or exceed 3,000 J/Kg on Tuesday. All other parameters are looking quite impressive as well, especially the directional shear component of the winds and the significant LLJ.

You beat me to it. CAPE is hard for computer models to forecast, especially this year. I remember during one event earlier this year where CAPE was forecast to be like 2000, and it got well over 3000. I think this was on May 4th. Last forecast for CAPEI saw had CAPE of 2000-2500 over a good portion of western KS. If thats the forecast, I'd expect cape to be well over 3000 on tuesday. Time will tell, but I am liking tuesday :)

Sunday May 6th, even though that day by in large didn't quite verify as forecasts were hitting, had forecasted cape in the 1,000-2,000 range at most just a couple days out...well, as most of us who chased/observed that day can attest to values were skyrocketing past 3-4,000 even before noon in parts of SW/W CNTRL OK. So, yea...I don't think cape will be a problem (already showing up to 2,500-3,000 per latest NAM/GFS packages).

Furthermore, the tremendous soil moisture across the panhandles and the overall region bodes very favorably for evapotranspiration galore (if its even needed). Many people from around the area are reporting that the TX panhandle right now is greener than just about any other time they can remember!

Thanks to all of those that chimed in on the 5-12-04. The thing I like about tonights 00z run of the NAM is the forecasted CAPE is progged to be much better than what was forecasted on the 12z run. The 12z run had forecasted CAPE around 1,500 J/kg while the 00z run has forecasted near 3,000 J/kg and even a small area of 3,500 J/kg which is a much better improvement from this mornings run. Very well defined triple point in sw KS. Also have to like the dryline bulge and very sharp dryline forecasted by this evenings NAM run in the vicinity of DDC or points just west of there. This evening run also shows some 65-70 dewpoints in most of sw KS/nw OK. This may be a bit overforecsted, but mid 60 dews sure would be nice to go along with 3,000 some CAPE, esp. with the 500mb winds progged to be what they are. Tuesday has the potential to be a nice day and it's definitely a go for me, esp. since I and most others haven't chased since the weekend of the Greensburg area stuff. Target as of now would be a general area from Ashland to Coldwater to Buffalo and adjusting from there.

I'm tending to agree with the dryline bulge idea. Upper level winds seem to be getting a bit better with each run and the LLJ continues to intensify. This triple point area could be money as long as the cold front doesn't try to undercut things later on down the line. I have a feeling that this could be a big day just east of DDC. We will be there. :)

I like the area from DDC South to the OK-KS border. I have literally just started looking at this setup tonight, but things look quite favorable for tornadoes IMO. My biggest worry was weak midlevel SR winds, but DDC forecast sounding is showing 5km SR winds at 19kts which is well above that magic threshold level of 15kts. I was slightly worried about deep layer shear a day or two ago as well (a product of the weak midlevel winds), but 40kts is now being forecast near DDC, which along with forecasted CAPE will be more than sufficient for supercells. 3km EHI surprisingly is 11.9 on the DDC sounding for 00Z. The only other time I remember seeing EHI values even coming close to that was the night of the Greensburg tornado when it was almost 11 if I remember correctly. The hodograph is very favorable for tornadoes...
http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace_overlays.cgi?fcsthr=048&STATIONID=_KDDC
1km SR winds AOA 30kts. From my fist look at things I would say everything looks good for tornadic supercells between Woodward and DDC. Since I haven't looked at things really closely yet I don't want to be bold, but from what I've seen so far strong tornadoes do look possible over a localized area in the target area I mentioned.

I have to agree with the somewhat obvious target of southwestern KS ahead of the triple point Tuesday. I'm not quite as optimistic as some folks on here seem to be, since I think we may see a quick HP transition given the relatively weak upper-level / anvil-level flow. In addition, I'm usually not too terribly hot on 65F tds come the end of May -- I certainly prefer upper-60s and/or low-70s this time of year (with 500mb temps in the -9 to -11C range and near-surface temps warm enough to yield relatively high LCLs unless we see >67F tds). If the >65F Tds actually materialize as forecast by the 00/21 NAM, I'll be considerably more optimistic. That said, we saw the best Tds mix out in southwestern KS and northwestern OK on May 4th and May 5th, so we shall see.

Overall, my biggest concern is the relatively weak upper-level flow. I'm a little skeptical of the very narrow area of enhanced mid- and upper-level flow progged to precede the primary speed max and lay over the dryline by 00z Tues evening. I'm not sure if it's an effect of the convection that the NAM develops, but the skinniness of it raises a flag. The 35kts - 40kts of deeplayer shear progged by the 0z NAM will probably be sufficient, but I'd really like to see another 5-10kts added on to that. Perhaps I'm just being picky.

The 00z NAM indicates strong convergence down the dryline south of the low across the OK/tX panhandle border and into western north TX by afternoon. Dependign upon cap strength, I'd expect a pretty good chance for at least widely scattered activity down the dryline. Given the forecast of the diving cold front across western KS, I may opt to hedge a bit south to stay away from the effects of the strong linear forcing along that cold front (which may gobble up supercells more quickly farther north).

FWIW, it isn't worth interpreting this as being terribly pessimistic. I'll be out chasing Mon and Tues (and maybe Weds down near SPS), but I'm keeping my expectations tempered given the above-listed concerns.

After reading SPC's outlook, Jeff's post, and taking a little closer look at the forecast sounding I am still optimistic about the setup, but I do share their concerns. Jeff or somebody else please comment on what I'm about to say because what I am about to say is more of a question than anything else. The two biggest concerns are t-td spreads and weak midlevel flow, both of which cause issues with outflow undercutting the updraft. Weak midlevel flow does this because of the lack of seperation between the updraft and downdraft and the high t-td spreads do this because of evaporational cooling and stronger downdrafts. My thinking was that this would be offset to some extent by the strong southerly inflow level winds being forecast. I am trying to remember the threshold that was layed out in a paper on RH values in the low levels for tornadoes, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else that knows more on this topic could comment on this setup.

Last edited by a moderator:
The temp-td spreads for tommorow really dont look too bad. With temperatures hovering in the low 80s, and dewpoints being 65-70 tommorow the spread isnt as bad as we've seen before. If it were going to be near 90 tommorow, I'd be more worried.

After reading SPC's outlook, Jeff's post, and taking a little closer look at the forecast sounding I am still optimistic about the setup, but I do share their concerns. Jeff or somebody else please comment on what I'm about to say because what I am about to say is more of a question than anything else. The two biggest concerns are t-td spreads and weak midlevel flow, both of which cause issues with outflow undercutting the updraft. Weak midlevel flow does this because of the lack of seperation between the updraft and downdraft and the high t-td spreads do this because of evaporational cooling and stronger downdrafts. My thinking was that this would be offset to some extent by the strong southerly inflow level winds being forecast. I am trying to remember the threshold that was layed out in a paper on RH values in the low levels for tornadoes, but I can't remember it off the top of my head. Maybe somebody else that knows more on this topic could comment on this setup.

Your mid level flow concerns are well supported. In my experience as well as research you need around 40 knots at 300/250mb to keep good seperation between the updraft and rain core. It doesn't look like you will have that tomorrow over Southwest Kansas and Northwest Oklahoma. So you run the risk for storms with wall clouds that are quickly undercut by outflow. (This rule is even more important when your 500mb flow is <35 knots, IMO. In those cases I like to see 50 knots at 300mb).

I wouldn't be too concerned about T/Td spreads as low to mid 60s Tds should be present with temps in the lower 80s to mid 80s. But if the spread was greater your concern for downdraft potential would be valid.

0-6km shear looks marginal (30-35 kts) but am impressed with EHI values depicted by the NAM. On our WSI system here at work, I have an EHI product I created using some basic grid algebra. It's got EHI values of 6 from Kinsley to (sigh) Greensburg to just northwest of Coldwater at 00Z Wed.

Speaking of Greensburg, it goes without saying that US-54 is still shut down from US-281 (Pratt) to US-183 (just west of Greensburg), according to the KDOT web page. For those of you heading out tomorrow, you might want to check this page to avoid the detours and construction projects out there (and there are quite a few):

http://www.kanroad.org

Good luck to those heading out tomorrow,

Rodney

Guys I really think tomarrow is going to be a solid moderate risk day, with 3000+cape and moderate shear. Also I dont think the 250mb winds really play a big role in what storms do. Correct me if I am wrong but isnt it really from about 300mb on up to 850mb what we need to look at for storm rotation and anvil level flow. Anyway tommorrow looks like we should see ok 300mb winds, 400mb winds, and 500mb winds. 700mb winds look pretty reasonable also. Now the 850mb winds look AMAZING!!!!!!!! with 40 to 50knots forcast. Tomorrow looks like a very good chase day to me. Wind feild dont look to strong, or to weak.

I know t-td spreads at the surface are fine, but the moisture was not very deep and quickly dropped off after 1500ft or so in the 00Z forecast sounding from last night's run. I just looked at the updated 12Z sounding and the moisture profile does look much better now though, which takes away one of my concerns.
http://beta.wxcaster.com/cgi-bin/parse_skewt_trace_overlays.cgi?fcsthr=033&STATIONID=_KDDC
5km SR winds did drop back down with this run to 14kts. I don't like that. Deep layer shear is still at 40kts by 00Z, which should be sufficient. Other than the weak mid-level flow everything else looks quite good for tornadoes. Low level shear is great. I still think a couple strong tornadoes are possible over a small area due to the strong 1km SR winds and strong 0-1km SRH. The biggest problem IMO is going to be the longevity of any tornadoes/lowlevel mesocyclones because of getting undercut by outflow. I think there is a big tornado bullseye in a triangle from DDC to Ashland to Medicine Lodge. As things stand now I would target Ashland.

I will be heading to southwest Kansas tomorrow targeting an area around Dodge City Kansas; moisture, instability, a nice dry line and wind fields all look to be in place tomorrow afternoon and evening for a decent severe weather event...

Already in what I have been calling the hot zone this year. with the Greensburg tragedy and Dodge City itself already having two close calls this year. Will be out today and Tuesday hope to meet some of you that will be chasing near Dodge in the next two days. Be safe and God bless all who work to keep the Public aware.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back