3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

I'm pasting this from #stormchase on behalf of Andrew Pritchard at UIUC:

<APritchard> storm chaser Stan Olson from Champaign, IL was in a car accident on his way home from a chase near Springfield, IL this evening
<APritchard> i believe he is okay.. this is second hand news.. but i believe he was interviewed by tv/radio.. we sent him a text a bit ago, but he has not responded

<APritchard> i was talking to him most of the nite
<APritchard> but didnt hear from him for a long time, but thought nothing of it
<APritchard> he hit a grain bin, is what im told

<APritchard> he was chasing the storm near Jacksonville
<APritchard> wrecked on the way home I believe

Originally posted by Paul Austin
That storm that just missed Springfield is incridible! I would almost bet that thing is putting down a violent tornado... and it appears that Licking, MO is in for a rough ride soon.

Yes it looks more impressive on Radar then any of the previous storms today right now, luckily and I use that termlightly it's doing this while it is in lower populated areas. Although it may take longer for rescue crews and what not to reach the folks in the boondocks

Originally posted by Dave Kaplow
Very bad things are happening in MO, true... But keep an eye on our original long-distance champion supercell, now entering Indiana where the SPC has just issued a new MD concerning an increasingly positive environment there. This amazing cell might still be a major player, especially if it can re-intensify and regain tight rotation. It's looking pretty impressive right now on IND radar.

Going off a rough estimate of a starting point just north of Coffeyville, KS, This 4-State supercell has traveled approx. 650 miles today, at least 3/4 of its life tornado-warned. Amazing.

It almost appears as though that Webster supercell is seeing the first tornado occlude and a second tornado trying to spinup to the south. Could just be me, but new hail spike appeared to the south, and slices slightly aloft reveal a new circulation further south.

1045 PM TORNADO 2 E BILLINGS 37.07N 93.52W
03/12/2006 CHRISTIAN MO PUBLIC

TREES REPORTED DOWN. BARNS DESTROYED AND DEBRIS ON
ROADWAY 1 MILE SOUTHEAST OF BILLINGS. POSSIBLE TORNADO
DAMAGE.

1110 PM TORNADO BILLINGS 37.07N 93.55W
03/12/2006 CHRISTIAN MO AMATEUR RADIO

TREES DOWN AND HOUSING DEBRIS...ALONG 160 FROM
MARIONVILLE TO BILLINGS. POSSIBLE TORNADO DAMAGE

Very bad things are happening in MO, true... But keep an eye on our original long-distance champion supercell, now entering Indiana where the SPC has just issued a new MD concerning an increasingly positive environment there. This amazing cell might still be a major player, especially if it can re-intensify and regain tight rotation. It's looking pretty impressive right now on IND radar.

From the KLOT radar, it appears its back in business. Velocities and VIL are back up, hints of a new hook/RFD. Roommate has family in N IN so I'm watching it closely. What an amazing storm.

It almost appears as though that Webster supercell is seeing the first tornado occlude and a second tornado trying to spinup to the south. Could just be me, but new hail spike appeared to the south, and slices slightly aloft reveal a new circulation further south.

I would agree that this is ocurring during this process the cell has apeared to weaken slightly it will be interesting to watch it during the next 20 minutes

I'm pasting this from #stormchase on behalf of Andrew Pritchard at UIUC:

<APritchard> storm chaser Stan Olson from Champaign, IL was in a car accident on his way home from a chase near Springfield, IL this evening
<APritchard> i believe he is okay.. this is second hand news.. but i believe he was interviewed by tv/radio.. we sent him a text a bit ago, but he has not responded

<APritchard> i was talking to him most of the nite
<APritchard> but didnt hear from him for a long time, but thought nothing of it
<APritchard> he hit a grain bin, is what im told

<APritchard> he was chasing the storm near Jacksonville
<APritchard> wrecked on the way home I believe

Damn it! I hate that Scott hit that thing....it is in an LSR somethwere about the grain bin getting chunked onto the interestate.

Squall line rapidly forming along US 69 in OK, extending up to NW AR, extreme NE OK, extreme SW MO. Discrete cells in front of squall line also gaining strength in exteme E OK and NW AR...

That is a public report. I'm skeptical. No severe weather was even occuring in Taney county at 10:53pm.....

AT MOST there may have been a landspout on the edge of the forward flank downdraft... but thats probably not it either.

Sorry if this doesnt belong here, but I was just reading this AP article on the storms and saw this...

" Six people were injured and two were missing after the tornado cut a path more than 16 miles wide through the town of Sedalia,"

16 mile wide tornado. THAT has to be one for the books. :lol:

I'm on the phone with Lisa Wadlow who is watching a cone funnel at High Hill, MO on I-70.

Back