3/12/06 NOW: KS/MO

That storm along I70 now has a separated appendage where the rotation is.... same thing happened with the Woodward tornado in Iowa, Nov 12th.

Damn it! I hate that Scott hit that thing....it is in an LSR somethwere about the grain bin getting chunked onto the interestate.
No, that was me, Stan Olson who hit the grain bin/silo. I will have pics later on once I get the insurance crap taken care of. Car looks worse than it is. Drivability is fine, windsheild is cracked in a few spots due to the airbags deploying. A few lights are broken on the front end and the side mirror is busted, but all-in-all it could have been worse. It was almost like watching twister, but unfortunately there was nowhere to swerve left or right. This thing was blocking the entire eastbound lane of I-72. Physically I'm fine other than my left arm being stung by the airbag. No whiplash or anything like that.

Shortly after the accident, a local TV crew showed up and did an interview with me. I've always wanted to be on TV, but this really wasn't the way to do it. The viewers probably got to see my poor chase vehicle in beat up condition, but it will chase another day!

I don't really have any regrets of chasing this system at night as I was doing great keeping out of the way of the storm. Who would expect a grain bin/silo to be in the middle of a highway? It was pitch black and raining pretty good, so by the time I saw it there's nothing I could do. I'm just surprised and thankful I was able to drive away from it.

I will post more later, I'm tired and need some sleep before dealing with all the cleanup in the morning. I apologize to everyone who called/text messaged me, I just couldn't respond and I'm sure you now understand why. :) Thanks!!

Stan

Lisa is encountering debris on State Highway E north of Jonesburg with a well-defined funnel 1/3 of the way to the ground to the northeast.

Tornado north of Rushville, IL looks to be heading toward Peoria. Let's hope it misses.

It appears the SPC might have to extend a new box further S/SW into Texas as an isolated cell has quickly developed near Stephenville, TX.

Schuyler County, IL, cell has a very nice area of rotation. Just passed over the tiny town of Littleton, IL. Looks to head towards the Vermont and Table Grove areas.

0830 PM TORNADO SPRINGFIELD 39.78N 89.64W
03/12/2006 SANGAMON IL LAW ENFORCEMENT

*** 19 INJ *** 19 INJURIES REPORTED IN SPRINGFIELD.
SEVERAL HOUSES SEVERELY DAMAGED OR LEVELED... SEARCHES
UNDERWAY FOR OCCUPANTS. MUCH OF CITY WITHOUT POWER.
DAMAGE FROM EARLIER STORM... TIME IS ESTIMATED DUE TO THE
SCOPE OF SITUATION.

Tornado warning now out for Howell county, MO including the city of West Plains... this storm has been a prolific supercell since originating near Tulsa, OK.

It has been a fun storm too watch and it has stayed in a pretty descelate area after it made it through the Branson area who knows what it was doing in those hills there will probably be several tornadoes from this system that go unreported

Lisa is encountering debris on State Highway E north of Jonesburg with a well-defined funnel 1/3 of the way to the ground to the northeast.

Not seeing any of this in the warning text. It should be reported.

Been trying to call NWS STL but the line is busy.

Illinois supercell headed for Table Grove and Vermont....

Dealiasing failures noted on radar. Could be seeing some very strong and large rotation from that storm. No reports that i can see ATTM

Been trying to call NWS STL but the line is busy.

Do they use espotter? Then you can have it sent over the net and it will get to them for sure....

Man I dont ever recall seeing such a long and straight apendege such as what is ocurring on that Hawk Point storm the storm in Lincoln CO MO its such a broad area of rotation I beat there is one awesome wall cloud to bad its a night

Back