3/11/06 NOW: Upper Midwest to TX/LA

GR no longer updating for me...I'm using weather underground for attributes. This really sucks...figures it would happen as things start intensifying again.

Looks like if this storm is going to drop a twister, it's going to track just immediately to the north of Springfield. The towns of Willard and Glidewell as well as the far northern fringes of Springfield appear to be in the most imminent danger at this point. This storm looks to be tracking just to the left of Interstate 44, heading in the direction of Lebanon in about 30 minutes time and Rolla an hour from now. It will be interesting to see if this storm can hold itself together for a few more hours, because if it does and maintains its current heading it will hit the western burbs of St. Louis around 9:00 p.m. local time, give or take half an hour.

It actually looks like the storm just lost all of its supercellular characteristics right before hitting springfield. Looks like the city was spared.

Now of course the next supercell starts getting a hook appendage....

Yeah, the cell got to about Willard and then started losing defintion and supercellular characteristics. I was a little worried there, because for one scan it showed a really well defined hook echo, but two scans later it disappeared back into the storm. Springfield's not entirely out of the woods yet, though. There are two more supercells back in Newton County that are advancing in it's general direction. The northernmost of the two looks especially nasty. Probably some large hail with that one. but the southern one looks like the most likely candidate to rendezvous with Springfield. It looks only slightly less intense than the northern cell at the moment. And it's kind of a strange shape as well, kind of horizontally aligned and shaped like a flattened flying eagle. It might have some decent potential.

Back in Sublette, IL for the night. That cell I chased in Whiteside county dissapated fast as I got to it. Very little if no lightning in the storm. Did get some video of a possible wall cloud trying to form. At one time it had a nice bell shape and a lowering taking place. It then got ripped apart. Overall the experience was weak. Looks like MCS now developing over C IL. Saw no hail, but had reports close to me of Golf Ball size.

Am camping out here for the night. I hope tomorrow has more juice then today. Am happy i got to chase something.

Thanks again Jeff!

My bad if this is too report related.

Storm attributes are missing because of a problem at NWS Central Region Headquarters.

Info comes from broadcast vendor Weather Central. There is no estimated time for the problem to be fixed.

Cell approaching Centerville MO has another very strong couplet. If she holds together longer which SPC thinks it will, we will chase it near Randolph Co. Il. LLJ is increasing in this region and EHI is at 2 from roughly St. Louis South towards Poplar Bluff MO. Look to be getting out in an hour

ok guys just b/c the sun has gone down doesnt mean you stop putting out nowcasts. I could really use some for western Arkansas. Ive noticed over the last 20min or so, the dBZ's increasing in that area. Things are really cooking there.

EDIT: LARGE HOOK/TVS just east of FSM

STL news station confirming tornadic damage from the cell that went across Fredricktown and is now in St. Mary's MO. They said it has been doing major damage and on the ground for the past 1 1/2 hours. They just said it's an F3-F4. Chester and Steelville IL in it's path. It has had 60-80 mph winds and baseball sized hail too.

The 2 tornadic supercells south-southeast of St. Louis has got to be putting down one heck of a large tornado. There is some incredible gate to gate shear with one cell embedded within the cluster. Someone's in trouble.

Me and My chase partner are 8 miles west of Dyer AR. We have the Ozark storm just in front of us aways and we got the other one now to our soutwest. Wish us luck

This is the storm in the IL/MO border.

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1030 PM CST FOR EASTERN STE. GENEVIEVE AND EASTERN RANDOLPH COUNTIES...

AT 940 PM CST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A LARGE AND DANGEROUS TORNADO OVER ST. MARY...MOVING NORTHEAST AT 35 MPH.

Back