3/11/06 NOW: Upper Midwest to TX/LA

I am reading reports of many injuries and major damage from this area. This tornado appears to have been a long lived wedge that was tracked by spotters, sheriff's and the public. This statement does not sound very good at all...

..THE TORNADO WARNING FOR PERRY COUNTY MISSOURI IS CANCELLED...

THE STORM HAS MOVED OUT OF THE WARNED AREA...THEREFORE THE TORNADO
WARNING HAS BEEN CANCELED. THIS STORM PRODUCED A LARGE TORNADO IN
FAR NORTHERN PERRY COUNTY MISSOURI...JUST SOUTH OF SAINT MARYS...WHERE IT
FLATTENED HOMES AND INJURED PEOPLE. IT IS STILL A VERY DANGEROUS
STORM CAPABLE OF PRODUCING A LARGE TORNADO AS IT MOVES ACROSS
RANDOLPH COUNTY ILLINOIS AND HEADS INTO PERRY COUNTY ILLINOIS.

It appears that the new convection just west of and connected to the St. Mary storm is getting organized and tracking over nearly the same area.

I hope someone saved the radar and velocity imagery from that storm, the signatures were classic. Tragic situation, I hope everyone makes it out OK.

Yes. Make sure everyone uses the Paducah, KY radar for the tornadic storms in Southern Illinois. It is showing the strong gate to gate shear wonderfully. Sherriff's report large and long lived tornado on the ground doing damage still. By the looks of that SRV return it does not surprise me.

The storm southeast of Huntsville Arkansas still has a classic looking hook. WOW!! Velocity signature showing up nicely on radar now. I hope there's no fatalities tonight. Saturday evening; what a terrible time for such a nasty outbreak of severe weather.

Originally posted by Andrew Stoller
The storm southeast of Huntsville Arkansas still has a classic looking hook. WOW!! Velocity signature showing up nicely on radar now. I hope there's no fatalities tonight. Saturday evening; what a terrible time for such a nasty outbreak of severe weather.

That seems to be the magic path this evening also. Looking at the velocity there has to be something big on the ground. I really feel for the lives that are in danger tonight. There is not much warning available to many of the people in those rural areas and you can't see the tornadoes coming in the mountains and tall trees. Hopefully lives will be spared tonight.

The tornado Shear in Perry County appears to be about as strong as it gets from what I have seen. Plus, this wedge is likely completely rain wrapped and at night. A little bit further Southwest of tornado #1 is tornado #2, and this cell appears to be encountering additional helicity and shear as it encounters the outflow boundary. And is begining to hook more on radar. So, Perry County, IL looks like they may get a 2nd monster tornado developing a little further south of the one that has been long lived so far.

Watching local media here in Southern Illinois

Apparently a long tracked and strong tornado has been on the ground for awhile across Southeast MO and Southern Illinois. Storm moving into Mt Vernon area. Lots of damage and injuries being reported.

Southern Jefferson county MO reporting damage south of Festus, one house was completely wiped out and a car is now sitting on top of the damage pile. other houses have been damaged and cars thrown. IL police reporting tornado STILL on ground and now near Posen IL.

In the last scan it looks like velocity signatures may be weakening a bit...let's hope so!

Pat

Edit: I got a couple of bad decodings from a software. While I was hopeful, this post seems to be in error.

It looks to me like they are all strengthening and becoming even more organized. Also, there now appear to be 4 supercells over Southern IL of which 3 appear to be "right movers" from the mean flow. If this continues, they will maintain there strength and pose an inherent threat to Evansville, IN shortly.

The cell in Newton county, AR still has a nice couplet. The other cell that went through Ozark, AR has weakened but another cell directly to its SE is gaining strength and is showing more signs of rotation. The cells in Marion County, AR and Ozark county, MO still look strong, even from LZK's radar.
*update* Another new red box went up, just to the SW of the one currently in N AR, S MO... effective until 4 am CST.
In my area (Searcy), the cap is still holding tough and it is still warm and very humid out. 73 outside with a mid 60's dew.

Jsut saw wall cloud with a rather large funnel hanging out of it in extreme sw Jonston county in AR. Lasted about 2 minutes before dispating. The wall cloud has also fallen apart. Kind of interesting there for a bit!

Correction: Extreme eastern franklin county AR. Sorry

Hopefully some of this new upstream convection will start choking off the southern Illinois storms. It's after 11PM CST, this could very well be a continuous two-day outbreak. I can't see all of tonight's supercells going away completely before tomorrow's event starts.

Originally posted by James Siler+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(James Siler)</div>
Jsut saw wall cloud with a rather large funnel hanging out of it in extreme sw Jonston county in AR. Lasted about 2 minutes before dispating. The wall cloud has also fallen apart. Kind of interesting there for a bit![/b]

call Little Rock and report that in ASAP, all they've had out on that cell is Severe Thunderstorm Warning. Though its weakening, they still need to have that info logged.

<!--QuoteBegin-James Siler

The wall cloud has also fallen apart

Yeah i been watching that one on radar quite closely and within last few minutes, it has become really disorganized. In fact, the cell itself is rapidly dissapating.

Back