2024 Chase Season Epilogue

As the last gasps of upper flow over the central/southern Plains pass over (with little effect, it appears), I thought it would be good to start this end-of-the-season thread. The northern Plains lives on as always - but for the vast majority of us, our spring chase seasons are over. How was yours and what are your thoughts?

I captured 23 tornadoes this year, 20 of those during Plains expeditions. Both of those totals are career highs by a good amount, beating my previous high in 2016 which yielded 17 (15 in the Plains). Unfortunately, my feeling right now is that the bad overshadows much of the good. The tornadoes I saw this year brought much death, destruction, human suffering and loss. Three of the tornadoes I witnessed were violent killers that wiped out large sections of towns: Minden and Greenfield, Iowa, Barnsdall, Oklahoma. The Waverly, Nebraska tornado destroyed a business right before my eyes, putting dozens of people out of work indefinitely.

As always, there are many things to be thankful for. I recognize that my own damage and injury incidents (on April 16 and May 21) could have been far worse - if not catastrophic - instead of the relatively minor annoyances they turned out to be. And while I suffered several daunting video documentation failures, I did manage some of my most dramatic and compelling tornado footage. Does that counter all of the bad? It feels trite to say it, but of course not. In fact, like 2013 and 2007, the human impact of the tornadoes I saw this spring puts a lot of it among events I would rather just move on from and not even speak of much of moving forward. So despite 2024's stats looking great on paper, it's not going to ever rank among what I consider to be my "good" seasons.

My stats:
  • Plains trips: 5*
  • Total days on the road: 20
  • Plains chase days: 15
  • Plains trip tornadoes: 20*
  • All tornadoes: 23*
    Including:
    • Two (2) EF4s
    • Five (5) EF3s
  • States: 8 (MO, KS, NE, IA, OK, CO, IL, TX)
  • Plains trip miles: 11,885*
  • Most miles in a day: 1,082*
  • Windshields lost: 2* (1 turkey strike, 1 hailstone coming in under the guards while driving)
* Career record high.

A montage of the more notable events:

2024tornadoes.jpg

My Plains season log page has all of my finished photos, videos and accounts:

What a year. I was shutout in April. I quit my job the morning of May 1st and went chasing every day I could after that. Now it's time I find a new source of income. The last 45 days have been the best days of my life. I got out 19 days this year, drove 9877 miles and saw tornadoes on 8 of those days for 19 total tornadoes. 11 of them Photogenic. Surprisingly, most of my tornadoes were over open fields, notably the absolute BEAST out by Eldorado on the 23rd of May and the Silverton tornado.

I made 15 spotter network reports this year which is under my average of 19. I notably have not chased in Kansas or Nebraska this year which is kind of odd for me. Will probably remedy that in the next week or two on these subtle days.

Lessons learned:
DCAPE of 1600 means the RFD's will be 100 mph

I say this in jest mostly. More than 1000 DCAPE is usually a no go for me. Can confirm that May 23rd the high values provided the nice 100 mph RFD winds.

The Storm Chaser Summit was absolutely worth the investment to attend
I attended cheaply the summit in Dallas this year. Had a blast and hope to see everyone at the event in KC area next year!

Apparently there are children so attention starved that they're posting people legally passing them on Twitter for attention.
I was floored to find this out and then to go find the tweets.

Reinforcing Suggestions:
Make sure you know how to change a tire and bring an air pump and tire iron with you as well as a jack.

You *WILL* have to change a tire doing this. The better you are at this, the more chance you have of seeing tornadoes on a spare (I did this DDC day, had to change a tire, saw more tornadoes). Also make sure moms altima or corolla has a spare tire in it. Some of the newer cars don't include them anymore. You know, to save the planet

Have good tires with road hazard type insurance
Chasing in a Camry on May 6th in Oklahoma I came upon a really awful road. I was in a very poor position and the road went from nice gravel to minimum maintenance at a mile-line. I didn't have a choice so I went down it and almost lost control multiple times. My excellent tires were the difference. A friend of mine had a 4wheel drive SUV with all terrain tires and was not able to get down the same road about 1-2 minutes later. I cannot stress how important it is to have good tires. Sometimes your backup route out is going to be awful. You don't want to get stuck, so get some treads.

Make sure you are treating your windshield with Rain-X or comparable product
It's going to rain. You know you will be driving in shitty conditions. Please please please treat your windshields and maybe buy wipers annually at least. There is no excuse for going 15 under the speed limit and hitting your brakes every two seconds.

You have to have multiple cell providers to have usable coverage most places.
AT&T and Verizon seem to be the two you need to have. Or Starlink if you're fancy and have income.

My stats:
Storm Chasing Days: 19
Tornado Days: 8
Tornadoes: 19
Photogenic Tornadoes: 11
Busts: 6
Largest Hail: 4.25″
Highest Wind Gust: 100MPH
Miles Driven: 9877
Windshields Replaced: 1
Spotter Network Reports: 15
Best Chase Day: May 23
States: OK, TX, IA, MO, NM

20240408-Diamond_Ring.jpg20240511-Northern_Lights_over_Panorama_Point.jpg20240519-Storm_near_183_in_Custer_City.jpg20240521-IMG_2676.jpg20240523-El_Dorado_Oklahoma_Tornado.jpg20240523-Tornado_near_Olustee_Oklahoma.jpg20240530-Muleshoe_Shelf_Cloud.jpg20240602-Cone_Tornado_near_Silverton.jpg20240602-Roping_Out.jpg20240602-Silverton_Tornado.jpg

And just an aside, the Geomagnetic storm of May 10 & 11 and the cooperative weather was a major highlight. I finally forced myself to take a few days up in Rapid City to check that area out. A highlight of my life

I don't have any fancy stats or anything, but all I can say is thank god for 4/26, otherwise this may have been the most frustrating chase year I've had in quite some time. 4/26 was a career day with several tornadoes and good pictures/video, but I haven't seen shit since then. I think I've chased more this year than I have in quite a while, with a whole lot of miles driven and not much to show for it. For an incredibly active year, that's obviously frustrating. Though much of the activity this year was in western TX or OK which I just can't reasonably chase.

Four moderate or high-risks busts in northern OK and southern KS, a shelf cloud in central KS on a decent looking day that turned out pretty meh, missing the tornadoes in northeast KS on 4/30 because I had to fly out of Omaha the next morning at 6 a.m., stopped chasing the cold front IA storms on 5/21 to go play golf and turned around 15 minutes before and 8 miles from the first tornado (totally my fault on that one lol), missed the awesome Nebraska structure on 6/7 as I was in SD fishing with my dad, didn't get any great pictures of the sick supercell over Omaha on 6/12 thanks to the city getting in the way, and was on the southern target in NE today (6/15) while the north target went nuts.

Not great!

Very subpar year for me. Mostly because since moving to the Southwest I mainly chase the Panhandles, western KS, and the plains of southeast CO and northeast NM, which have been relatively inactive this year. The map below with storm reports through June 9 and my main chase territory outlined tells a big part of the reasons why this year has been subpar for me.

severe weather reports through June 9.jpg

That said, reluctance to do very long drives except for slam-dunk setups is also part of the reason. That is not an entirely new thing for me, but at 74 years old, my tolerance for those drives is not what it used to be. I was on a chase trip from April 24th through 27th, but blew off the 26th because I did not want to drive from Oakley, KS to somewhere around Omaha and then back to central or western KS or OK again the next day. So instead of seeing the tornadoes in eastern NE and western IA on the 26th, I had a leisurely down day and did discover an interesting place in KS that I did not know about, the Monument Rocks. The 26th on paper did not look to be obviously better than the day before or the day after (probably less so than the 27th, actually), but turned out to be. However, given how tired I was when I got home after 2500 miles of driving, I don't think I really regret sitting out the 26th even as it turned out. The one and only tornado I (probably) saw so far this season was the Calumet, OK tornado on April 27, but thanks to having been caught in a massive chaser jam south of Hinton, I was in a high-speed chaser parade on I-40 at the time of the tornado, trying to catch up while getting glances of the storm through trees and hills. So no tornado pictures at all. I generally avoid chasing within 50 miles of OKC, but got suckered into that area that day because it was my only real chance to see a daytime tornado. The result was pretty predictable, massive chaser backup.

Really, my best chases this season have been on marginal to slight-risk days with little chances of tornadoes in NM and southeast CO, where at least I got some pretty storms as you usually do in those areas. Although the peak of the season is over, I have seen tornadoes in July, August, and September in years past, so I am not giving up on 2024 just yet. But for me, for the aforementioned reasons, it has definitely been a subpar year so far.

I have been back home since June 5, and just finally got the last of my chase reports done yesterday, so now it's time for my recap...

I have mixed feelings about this season. It was generally active, but disproportionately in the early portion of the season (late April / early May). It's not unusual for the bigger outbreaks to be in the early season, but those are usually one and done. They seemed a little more frequent this year, and there was that April 25-27 sequence and also May 6, despite three of those days under-performing (and one substantially over-performing). There were a number of consecutive tornado days in early May as well.

From a personal standpoint, I was excited about the ability to work remotely and stay on the Plains potentially for a whole month, from mid-May to mid-June, bookended by family obligations for Mother's Day and Father's Day. But my first available week beginning May 13 was inactive, so I sliced that week off the front end. At that point it made the most sense to wait for my son to be free to fly out on Sunday, May 19. If I only had my own schedule to worry about, I would have flown out on Saturday the 18th to set up for Sunday. Flying out on Sunday limited our chase range and options for that day - it's never easy to fly from Philadelphia and chase on the same day. My son had to get back on June 5, and it was an easy decision to come home with him, given how the forecast looked for the next 7+ days. I think the only thing I really missed between then, and my latest possible return date of June 15, was the Nebraska structure show on June 7. So, for the second consecutive year that I have had the remote work option, there was no reason to stay much more than my usual two weeks anyway. But at least it gave me a little more flexibility as to which two weeks were best to chase, instead of throwing a dart at a dartboard like in previous years.

The idea of combining remote work with chasing was to take the 10 PTO days I would normally use in a two-week chase vacation, and spread them over a month. The theory was to chase the better days, and pass on the more marginal ones. But this turned out to be much harder to do in practice. The stretch from May 19 through June 2 was fairly active, and I ended up chasing just as often as on any active two-week chase trip, regardless of how good the setup was. I didn't deliberately pass on anything, other than Iowa on May 21 (but that was for other reasons) and I think maybe one other day that didn't seem worth the drive. In practice, it's very hard to pass on a potential chase day when you don't know how many opportunities you are going to have before the season shuts down. Also, I knew my son didn't have the ability to stay out as long as I did, so I didn't want him to miss anything just so I could conserve PTO to use myself later.

As part of the effort to conserve PTO, I tried to just take half-days off. The theory was that I would work in the morning and take off in the afternoon. Here, again, theory failed in practice. While the morning was supposed to be about work, I of course still had to fit in forecasting time. That took a couple of hours away from work. The impact was more than just the time on the clock. I would start work at 7am, and then do the bulk of my forecasting starting at around 9. So it bifurcated the morning. Instead of having a good, long contiguous block of work focus time, it was bifurcated into smaller blocks on either side of forecasting. If I knew morning convection was a factor in the day's forecast, I would look at that first thing in the morning, to figure out if we might have a longer drive than anticipated - delaying me from starting work. It was generally distracting to switch mental modes from work to weather and back again, sometimes multiple times. And sometimes the opposite happened - work distracted me from the weather, as it did on May 28, when I had my target area already, went back to work, and failed to realize the MDs coming out, or how early a tornado watch was issued, or that storms were already popping before hitting the road at 2pm as originally planned. Even on down days, I would lose work time forecasting for the next day, and would sometimes still lose the afternoon for repositioning drives. Having to check out of the hotel made it more difficult to spend a full day working, unless we were staying there again that night, which only happened once or twice. I'm not sure if there is a better way to handle this next year; I'm thinking of starting a separate thread on this topic to share ideas and strategies.

One thing I am going to do differently next year is avoid professional and personal commitments, to the extent possible, in late April and early May. I would have liked to work remotely in the Plains beginning earlier in the season, and then fly home for family events like Mother's Day. Or, fly out just for individual synoptically-evident events, before basing myself in the Plains for my “core” trip. But I wasn't in a position to pull the trigger on any of those early setups this year, due to other commitments and priorities. In the past, when I only had two weeks to chase, I always prioritized the second half of May, which generally features more chase days, albeit mainly mesoscale setups. But it's always been the case that the bigger synoptic setups and outbreaks occur earlier in the season. I don't think it would ever make sense to try timing a two-week chase vacation for that early part of the season, but if I have the flexibility to get out and back, and/or work remotely while staying on the Plains longer, I need to optimize that next year. I think this year I was just stuck in the mindset of focusing on the second half of May, because for 25 years that was really my only reasonable option for scheduling two-week chase vacations.

As far as actual chase results, I get as frustrated as anyone when I make a bad forecast, or when a good setup craps out like on May 25. But even the professionals get it wrong sometimes. I don't even mind making bad decisions that are only bad in hindsight and were perfectly logical at the time; I can even allow myself to put bailing on Iowa on May 21 in this category. However, what fills me with awful regret and profound disappointment that takes weeks or months to shake off is making bad decisions that I don't even have good explanations for - such as stopping at McDonalds and for gas while trying to reach a tornadic supercell on I-70 all the day from KC after landing there on May 19; ignoring the developing storms in southwest OK on May 23 and continuing on to southwest KS; and heading east toward Midkiff instead of south on 349 for the Midland storm on May 30. These are actions that have little or no reasonable defense, and I simply wish I could take them back and have a do-over.

But like I said, mixed feelings: I feel pretty good about the trip, even if I maybe don't deserve to... More of the early-season events over-performed than under-performed, so I didn't miss much there (except April 26). We got a generally active stretch for the second half of May. Although there was no reason to take advantage of the nearly four weeks I had available, it was probably the first time I ever was able to stretch my trip longer than two weeks (albeit only by three or four days). I genuinely enjoyed the May 30 Midland chase and the structure show, despite missing the tornados. And we capped it all off with a successful chase in Silverton on June 2, which was my son's first photogenic tornado. There were plenty of other enjoyable chase experiences as well.

Here's a quick rundown of each day of my trip, from May 19 through June 4:

5/19 - landed in KC, only the northern KS target was in-range, got the I-70 supercell but reached it just after the tornado and when it had gone HP

5/20 - saw a couple of tornado-warned supercells near Akron CO, but all HP

5/21 - bailed on Iowa day due to distance, fast-storm motions, and expectation of rapid upscale growth into a line; I kind of regret this one, but not as much as maybe I should… But that could just be because it was overshadowed by worse mistakes later…

5/22 - briefly-exciting chase of a tornado-warned HP. It had initiated fairly early (before 1pm) further west near the triple point, but by the time we got to it, it was in Coleman. Missed the storm that initiated back west on the dryline a bit later, which produced tornados after ingesting the OFB from the storm we were on...

5/23 - one of the biggest failures, targeting southwest KS and ignoring the opportunity to backtrack to southwest OK. This was Eldorado day while I busted needlessly under a blue sky

5/24 - down day

5/25 - we all know what happened this day... Despite the OK potential being wiped out by outflow, personally I think my bigger failure was not getting to my target area earlier. I had been favoring northwest TX. (Vernon/Seymour) but by the time I got to Altus a line of storms had already formed and I was caught behind the action to its northwest. Later storms in northwest OK were moving so fast I just couldn't catch up.

5/26 - down day

5/27 - mainly a repositioning day to Midland, but deviated to Mineral Wells for potential severe. Bailed and continued on to Midland when the only storms (IIRC) were on the longitude of DFW (can't remember if they were north or south of DFW).

5/28 - fun chase of a weak LP near Odonnell TX and then a few hours on a supercell from north of Brownfield to Tahoka.

5/29 - down day, repositioned to Amarillo (which would turn out to be a waste, see 5/30)

5/30 - all the way back down to Denver City TX to play the OFB, then adjusted further down to Midland. Missed the tornados (won't rehash all that here, see Reports thread) but enjoyed the awesome structure, best I've seen in a few years.

5/31 - down day

6/1 - enjoyable chase in Fort Stockton, finally ridding myself of my aversion to the area

6/2 - Silverton TX tornado day!

6/3 - another blue sky cap bust, this one in southwest OK / northwest TX, but at least no forecast-related errors or regrets

6/4 - close to another cap bust, in west-central OK, until late (~8pm) initiation grew instantly upscale into a linear MCS

Total mileage: 5,619

Last edited:
After Saturday in Iowa, I think I must have set some sort of seasonal record (certainly a personal one, at least) for time spent chasing tornado-warned storms without actually seeing a tornado (apart from a distant glimpse of the first Afton, IA area EF2 on April 26, and another brief glimpse as it was roping out). :rolleyes:

After Saturday in Iowa, I think I must have set some sort of seasonal record (certainly a personal one, at least) for time spent chasing tornado-warned storms without actually seeing a tornado (apart from a distant glimpse of the first Afton, IA area EF2 on April 26, and another brief glimpse as it was roping out). :rolleyes:

I need to find a way to objectively measure "time spent inside a tornado warning polygon" and add that to my chase stats, because this was the theme of my season as well. I feel like we deserve some credit for that even when the skies don't want to cooperate 😜

Back