2019 Chase Season Epilogue: How was yours?

This year had a lot of opportunities, but so much junk. Tornado counts up compared to previous years. Tons of ENH/MDT events that underperformed.

There was no room for error. Most seasons are forgiving with some events. Aside from May 17 and 28, the obvious target generally busted or was so low contrast that you couldn’t see much of anything anyway.

I can’t recall a season with so many events that were just garbage, unless you got very lucky. I forgot that I missed the Canadian (TX) wedge too because I didn’t want to wander around an HP mess with chaser convergence galore.

I mentioned seven tornadoes, but keep in mind that I chased 35 events. No good tornado photos to show for that, despite chasing non-stop through all of the peak stretches. I’m not the best forecaster or chaser, but when you chase that often, it’s hard to not be disappointed. Two tornadoes were briefly photogenic, two were mostly blocked by trees, two were barely visible unless you squinted at post-processed photos and one was a mesoscale accident from a multicell.

My biggest disappointment is having no quality chases in the central/northern High Plains. That’s usually where I shine. I probably won’t get out for any later this summer unless the planets align. I’ll hope for a few one-off events in the panhandle or Kansas.

For me I will call this a par, average season. It wasn't all bad, but it wasn't all great. The "dream pattern" definitely salvaged it for me. 2019 started off just as slow and aggravating as the past few years for me. I bought my new chase vehicle at the end of March, just to have a 17yr old not paying attention blow through a stop sign and T-bone me ONLY 8 DAYS AFTER BUYING IT causing over $9000 damage and taking over a month to fix. So having my new chase ride stripped away from me right away was a kick in the pants. I opted not to take a rental because I wanted the day to day cash payout instead. Turns out April was a wash anyways so I guess I made the right call.

I had to miss the first really active Apr 30 - May 7th stretch due to important business obligations in IL. Sometimes that's just life. I can deal with not seeing everything, but its harder when you're sitting on a goose egg watching your feed blow up daily with awesome catches. I finally returned to the plains to guide tours just in time for the pattern to completely shut down for a week. Is this really happening? Going into Mid May feeling goose egged (ok, I saw a 4 second scuddy tornado in Lousianna but still) is not a good feeling.

Finally the "dream pattern" arrived and things turned around. Nabbed 14 tornadoes during that stretch. Went against the CAMs and chose SW KS dryline target for the 17th and caught that crazy tornado-fest to kick it off. After that we caught the monster that dropped tornadoes from Picher, OK to Golden City, MO on the 22nd. It was eery tracking it through Joplin with sirens blaring on their anniversary. We whiffed on that stupid Canadian TX tornado the next day by playing the storm to the south. Oops. Can't win em all. Things got annoyingly grungy the following days but we concluded with a major victory on May 28th with Waldo/Tipton. That would've been a top 3 storm if it wasn't moving so fast and promptly died after tornado-ing for *only* 45 minutes or so. It was doing crazy things I haven't seen since Bowdle 2010. That event was the year maker for me.

June has been a dud tornado-wise, but I've made up for by stepping up my photo game and nabbed a career best lightning shot. I plan to expand more into this realm in the future. I really do enjoy it and its a great compliment to storm chasing. So many amazing things to see out there.

I am guiding 1 more 10 day tour in July, and hopefully the north plains/midwest deliver. Then my season is done minus the random pop up event. I share everyone's disdain for the fact we're still chasing in OK/TX at the end of June. Its good for the budget, but the S plains are so grossly overrated. It's no surprise my best catches of the year are once again north of I-70. I would also like a season where good things are more spread out. I miss when March April and June, in addition to 1 active stretch in May, would deliver quality tors.

The "poor me" sentiment is strong in this thread.

My plains season was fine. For the amount I put into it, it's definitely less than what I wanted or expected - certainly not a legendary year - but I'm not going to complain about the most active pattern of the last decade. It was an unforgiving pattern and you had to not only forecast properly but also chase properly to get anything. There were no secondaries aside from the first couple of big days in early to mid May, which sucked, but I had never seen a pattern with even a fraction as much potential as this one had. 12 straight chase days is something I'll probably not see again for a long time. We should all remember that when we're moaning all winter long about how the cold sucks and nothing is happening.

I'm likely done traveling beyond my typical 6 hour radius, so unless something is so slam dunk that I'm willing to screw up the rest of my life to chase it (like Canada in a few days... lol), I'll be local the remainder of the year. Doesn't mean I'm done. 2018 gave me over a dozen tornadoes after this time of year.

Some stats:

Miles: ~12,000
Chase days: 17
States chased: 10
Tornadoes: 10
Best chase: 5/28, Waldo/Tipton KS
Worst chase: 5/23, Booker/Canadian TX
Best structure: 5/16, Wright WY

A not-so-brief summary:

I chased a few local days in April, marginal but fun to see convection again. Got a tornado on 4/30 in Illinois. I left for the plains on May 15, driving 12 hours to Rapid City and chasing Wyoming the next day with some epic, albeit short-lived, structure in the mountains. I chased McCook and saw it but screwed myself by punching one cycle too early on the Kansas side, despite knowing well that the best potential was across the Nebraska line. I was playing catch up the rest of the day. I saw the most well photographed shelf cloud in history the day following, and chased whatever happened on the 19th (don't even remember) leading up to the most slam dunk event I've ever seen. Which... well, you know. Missed a tornado in Texas because of the haze even though I was in the notch, got ahead in the canyon and saw two brief tornadoes. Stayed ahead, saw Mangum at a distance, got caught in the convergence. That story. Chased cold core on the 21st, missed warm front tornadoes. That's not how cold core is supposed to work, but that's okay, weird things happen sometimes and you can't kick yourself too hard. Spent a few days in the panhandle region, culminating in the 23rd, where I forecasted, targeted, and chased everything right but managed to avoid at least two wedges like my life depended on it. That one hurt. Avoided the 15% hatched risk in the floodwaters and subsidence-busted near Chickasha the following day, but adjusted north toward Guthrie onto a storm that produced at least once west of Tulsa at and after sundown. That put my tornado count at 6 but none of them were that exciting.

On the 25th, I got my first taste of SE Colorado on a storm that tried so hard to produce as it neared the Kansas line but just couldn't do it before an ugly left split from the south cut it off. For some reason there were a couple of cold air funnels as I bailed on the storm around Johnson City - maybe tornadoes? Don't know. Stayed in the area for the 26th and spent well over an hour in the cage of the slow moving storm everyone was on in Colorado. The convergence wasn't as bad as it was made out to be and that turned out to be a lot of fun despite the storm drawing in stabilized surface air and failing to produce its obvious potential. Not kicking myself over missing either storm in New Mexico. All those guys deserve congratulations for getting it. Gambled on lost on the 27th. I cap busted in Texas while you all were getting the structure of a lifetime.

So why not gamble again the next day? The 28th was going to be my last day as the pattern looked to be drying up and my girlfriend and wallet were both running thin on patience with me. I wasn't feeling the urban HP chasing vibe despite initially targeting Lawrence, so I decisively headed west toward Russell. As the storm went up off the triple point it was only visible on satellite, but I shortly got a glimpse of a trio of pileus caps and a landspout at very long range. When I got to the storm, the entire updraft column was spinning. I got within a mile before the Waldo showed itself early in its multivortex wedge state. I stayed between a third- and half-mile of it for as long as the nonexistent roads would let me before I ran out of trustworthy options and slid to the south where I continued shooting stills of the stovepipe and the epic ropeout, which featured twins and potentially triplets, but I only noticed two in person. I got stuck in the mud just short of my next paved highway, but I was cut off by the storm anyway. I watched another poorly contrasted tornado to my northeast that turned out to be Tipton on foot from the top of a hill while kind of freaking out because there were more tornado-warned storms to my west en route to the same boundary that lingered over my head, and I was helplessly stuck. All turned out well. Drove home ready to sleep in my own bed again.

Some takeaways:

• The convergence is here to stay, and will probably get worse yet. Get used to it or stay home.
• Enjoy the marginal stuff. Those epic shelf clouds, cool structure days, and lightning storms aren't as exciting as a photogenic tornado family, but we shouldn't take them for granted because they might not happen again any time soon. The lightning in particular was abysmal this year. It's been a long time since I've had a good, late evening anvil crawler show.
• The SPC is very good at what they do. They're gonna catch your "sleeper" target more often than not and send a hundred SPC chasers screaming in your direction. We shouldn't complain about it. It's a good thing.

DSC_1487.JPG5-18-19-OK-Shelf-1.jpg5-26-19-CO-Horseshoe.jpg5-16-19-WY-Supercell-3.jpg5-17-19-McCook-Tornado-2.jpg5-29-19-Waldo-7.jpg5-29-19-Waldo-3.jpg

Last edited:
Dave C said:
I'm a data driven person, but anecdotally I have seen colorful sunsets here in CO dwindle massively in frequency, there is grey clouds almost every day against the mountains, tons of people have echoed memories to me of the now absent ebb and flow of afternoon storms in this area, winters are colder for longer.
I can't say on the sunsets, but winters lasting later into spring sure seems to be a thing I've noticed...

Was thinking about this on my drive home yesterday while keeping pace with a lone supercell along I-70 in Kansas. How does this year pan out for me? It's definitely not my worst, but it's no where near the best. What it lacks is that one day that makes a season, something I kinda live by in terms of what I think makes a good season. I have no one single tornado day I can point back to and be like, "yes, that was the day". But I kept my "seeing a tornado every year since 2003 streak alive", which is kinda cool. I do have two memorable tornadoes on the year.

May 6, 2019 north of Lewis, Kansas... I snagged a photo (not a video still) of a lightning illuminated tornado with an impressive debris cloud on a 1/2-second handheld exposure after I was taking lightning pictures and a cone suddenly showed up. That was a first for me, and the photo was pretty badass.

59449700_10156404776346279_2304666003490996224_o.jpg

May 26, 2019 near Sheridan Lake, Colorado... I had high hopes for this day, and as a whole it didn't pan out. I pretty much straddled the CO/KS border all day, trying to get on storms in Colorado and follow them into Kansas. None really produced. Eventually I got in with the conga line near Cheyenne Wells as the parade of chasers was coming north on US-385. Given the storm we were all on was moving into colder air, I opted to head south as I was going to position on the storms in southwest Kansas. Enroute, within 30 minutes of every chasers in the free world having gone through that area, I dumb-lucked into an impressive tornado crossing US-385. I ran with this as I am the likely the ONLY chaser, if not the only PERSON, in the world to have seen this. A feat in this day in age which I imagine is nearly impossible.

61210215_10156450048001279_2569857088440238080_o.jpg

Those were two of only five tornadoes I can lay claim to, all of them in the month of May. Both the two above were not the most impressive of tornadoes, but each having a very unique story and bragging rights made them pretty special in an otherwise lower-end year for me.

Outside of tornadoes, I snagged one of my best storm/lightning photos ever. That came on the same night a couple hours before the Lewis tornado I photographed above. This was a stationary storm that I think I watched in nearly the same area for almost five hours (it ultimately produced the nighttime tornado). It was one of my first photos to go viral.

59689282_10156404596541279_7027571647452282880_o.jpg

June started slow, mostly due to the amount of work I was covering, thus my time to get out was limited. But mid-June, I freed up and showed off why I am nicknamed "Hailboy". In the last 8 days, I have been in the midst of three very impressive hailers, two here in Kansas and one here in Colorado.

Speaking of Colorado, I made it a point in my second year here in Kansas to take some time off to enjoy non-work chasing, and I was able to get a few days in back in my Meteorological home with my good friend, Ed. The June 20 chase was pretty low-key, but offered up another one of my favorite photos of the year, this actually being pulled from video timelapse I was shooting of my Nikon near Last Chance.

65204459_10156508184141279_5184795205886279680_o.jpg

The following day included one of the more incredible "almost tornado" intercepts of my career when we were basically on the back edge of a very intense area of rotation coming out of Elbert, Colorado. Had it produced, we would've had a front row-center seat to an incredibly high contrast tornado. It did not produce, but that 30 minutes included some amazing experiences, including watching RFD destroy trees up the road in front of us. Later that day on that storm, we got into the core near Matheson and got pummeled by hail up to 2-inches with baseballs not too far north of us. My trip home from Colorado yesterday included a perfectly routed supercell along I-70 from eastern Colorado all the way to I-135 that I was able to keep up with, stopping numerous times to photograph, before eventually getting cored in Ellsworth under the cover of a carport with more 2-inch hail coming down. The spikey hail in Lindsborg where I ended my chase was also pretty damn cool.

65303998_10156515257041279_6946239127373217792_o.jpg

The season to this point (as of yesterday) has included a total of 22 chase events mixed between work outings, serious chases, and general storm tracking. I've seen 5 tornadoes and documented hail as big as 2.25" measured. Most of my time has been here in Kansas as work would obviously dictate, and I sat out several higher end chases for a variety of reasons. The biggest screw up day was by far May 28th as I let work dictate too much my target for the day, a lesson learned.

As for miles, I am sitting on 7,808 to this point, one of my lowest season miles to this point in quite some time. Living here in Kansas, and working for a Kansas-based station keep me close, and that's definitely good for avoiding burn out. I definitely find that I like being home more and not being on the road for weeks on end. It does make for later nights than one would think as I am constantly driving home as opposed to staying out, but it's nice to sleep in my own bed. For my career, I am currently at 377,611 miles.

I will remember a lot of things about this season, most of which cannot be documented in video or photos. I have two very unique tornadoes to brag about this year, and I got more than my share of hail, shot a ton of video that has been all over TV, and have gotten better with my photos, and have a few amazing shots I am particularly proud of. What this season lacked for me, again was the "one tornado that makes a season" (a Bowdle, Bennington, Aurora, Canton, etc). Also lacked that one good evening of lightning photography as most of the storms I chased didn't offer and the really good ones seemed to be on days I wasn't out.

Fortunately, my season is likely not over, living in Kansas has its perks. But the brunt of it certainly is, and the question remains whether I will go my first season under 10K miles since the early 2000s. I am mostly content with this season, and getting a chance to free-style chase in Colorado last weekend on my own without the obligations that come with a paycheck, did wonders for my storm chasing soul. I will definitely be building in such time off in the future as the mid/late June chasing is a nice way to end a stressful season.

Grateful as always that I get to do this with the regularity that I can, and certainly more so that I get to be at home in my own bed most nights during the thick of the season. I do hope that we get a return to a more traditional season here next year. This year did seem very grungy, not as photogenic, and kinda oddly paced. There was a ton of flooding and rain, and it really added an extra layer of difficulty to getting good imagery. That I do wish would've improved, was the quality of storms as a whole. But I think I managed to make pretty good from what I was offered, so I will take it and run.

Last edited:
Well, after 2018's big fat zero! I can't complain at all.

2019 so far:

8 tornadoes.
6 chase days, out of 13 total days on the road.
6451 total miles.
States chased in: 4
States visited/driven through: 7
Hilton Honors points earned: 18,236
Whataburger visits: ZERO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! (barf!)
Big Texan visits: 1
F-bomb's dropped: infinite
Incoming phone calls (non-chase related) while on a tornado: TOO DAMN MANY!! Leave me alone!

Some highlights:

Below is a frame grab from my dashcam of the initial touchdown of the Golden City MO EF3 (5/22/19) from just WSW of it.

Last edited:
Pretty awful. Misery loves company, so this thread has been a delight so far!

Back when I started chasing in the mid-late 2000s, the first few years were very active by our recent (dwindling) standards, and I misplayed most of the big days. My feeling as those seasons ended unredeemed would often be something close to despair, depending on just how poor my success ratio had been on the quality events. But then things got better, and I never had any reason to end the season miserable during the stretch from 2010-2016; my success ratio on the events I really cared about each year was always at least respectable, if often unimpressive.

Then 2017-2018 were largely crap, and while that's always frustrating, you just keep your head up and assume climo will bring you better odds soon. But this year was a full-force regression into the despair I'd naively hoped to have left behind for good: lots of opportunities, several truly high-quality events for the taking on the Plains, but very little to show for it. Coming on the heels of two dead years, and considering persistent hemispheric pattern problems that have plagued us in the mean for ~8 years now, makes this in some ways more painful than even my first few years. As the 10-month clock starts ticking on even getting another shot, that little voice whispering "this was THE year, now prepare for two more consecutive 2018s!" is hard to shut out.

Tornado days:
May 17 - Minneola (missed the first one; didn't get as close to the 2nd at dusk as I should've; decent view of the first after-dark cycle, but eh)
May 20 - Mangum (saw from 2-3 mi. range, but stuck in massive convergence and couldn't get out of vehicle to shoot stills)
June 8 - Winona (anticyclonic truncated cone; half a notch above "bird fart" tier)

In terms of quality tornado days, none really. May 17 and 20 are both borderline, where quality tornadoes were observed under significantly compromised circumstances.

Work obligations in May meant I usually couldn't head out until late on weekdays. Climo says it's wise to expect this to result in *some* grief; yet, it also says leaving at ~4pm from OUN should still net you a decent share of the good events that time of year (e.g., most top-tier Plains tornadic storms in May tend to occur between about 6:00-8:30pm, and lots of those should technically be within range). Not this year. On practically every tornado setup within a 200-mi. radius of here, the supercells of significance were raging by 2-3pm; sometimes 11am or noon, even. By 5-6pm, the show was usually over. There have been other seasons I've chased with a persistent tendency for minimal capping and early CI (especially 2009 and 2015), but nothing quite like this. Even more hilarious, weekend setups were simply useless through almost the entire month, often consisting of MCS-drenched sloppy seconds. Again, I can't think of another year I've chased where this was so consistently true, given a generally active pattern. In summary, my May weekday constraint was clearly more punishing this year than climo would suggest, and then I failed to capitalize on a handful of high-difficulty weekend opportunities. That old "nothing can go right this year" preemptive dread set in early, and only proved more bafflingly true day after day.

For the second consecutive year, I was able to chase almost anything in June, and *zero* quality/obvious tornado setups presented themselves in the southern and central Plains (by obvious, I don't mean outbreaks; locally-focused triple point or OFB plays with most of the requisite ingredients would suffice). So I went all-in and chased a lot of marginal setups, playing the numbers game. Other than brief spinups on the Russell Springs storm, they didn't deliver, mostly due to glaringly obvious issues. Even so, I would've expected a reasonable chance for at least one fortuitous mesoscale accident in that stretch, but got zero. This June, like many of late, was simply dreadful if you were focused on Plains tornadoes; there's really no getting around it.

Now, for the one bright spot: this was a decent-to-good structure year for me. I had very little of that the previous few years, and had overhauled my camera gear this past off-season, so that was a huge consolation prize. There were at least 5 days I got stills I was actually excited to process, a far cry from 2017 or 2018. I wouldn't say any of the supercell updraft structure I saw was exceptionally amazing, but some of it was really good and occurred in conjunction with favorable lighting, CGs, nice foregrounds, etc. If I didn't love still photography, this year would've driven me mad and I might've had to quit chasing. As it stands, it still wasn't too far from that. For the first time since 2009, I'm going into the summer feeling like I'd be happier if I could just wave a wand and make myself forget it's possible to drive around looking for photogenic tornadoes (as if). There's always next year, but a decade removed from what I'd consider the last persistently active S/C Plains spring with quality tornadoes spread around the season and geographically, that reassurance doesn't have the same gravity it once did.

My worst ever? Close, depending on the criteria. Certainly there have been seasons I saw even less, like 2017-18. Certainly there were seasons that the sum total of big tornado days I missed/blew was even larger, like 2007-08. In this case, I missed almost everything, and the only consolation is that I don't consider it to have been a spectacular/decadal chase season overall. Active in May with several really good days, sure. But 2004 or 2010 this was not, as I think the tenor of this thread so far attests to.

Last edited:
Despite being an epic year based on tornado numbers alone, my personal chase season is easy to summarize:

* Grungy fognadoes with a dose of HP.
* Tornado in Illinois but I am driving and there is no place to pull over and fuuuuuu... Gone.
* Beautiful cell one minute from producing when WTF HP RAIN CURTAIN I HATE EVERYTHING OMG HAIL (Tulia, TX)
* Why is my AC stuck on and I can't put heat on my windshield to clear off the condensation? I AM BLIIIIND! ($450 repair)
* F**CKING TEXAS MUDDY ROAD ^*@())))$&&&&@ MOTHER F&*@@ GODDA** HEEEEEELPPPP MEEEE #TOW
* Water pump failure. $2200 because I have a chain-driven pump nested deeeep inside the engine... Yay.
* Hey look! The entire population of Oklahoma has decided to join us on HWY 27....

At least gas prices are decent compared to previous years (2015 comes to mind)

This has NOT been my best year.

I'm gonna argue that once the final numbers come in, May 2019 will turn out to be only a somewhat above average month for tornadoes. I think the huge counts that had been initially reported were severely inflated by multi-reporting (i.e., more than one spotter reporting the same tornado).

Take 17 May as an example: currently, the SPC site shows 39 filtered (53 unfiltered) tornado reports. But I could only find damage surveys for 16 tornadoes between LBF, GLD, & DDC (I checked ICT and AMA, but it doesn't appear any tornadoes entered their CWAs). I suspect this is fairly typical of bigger days on the Plains and thus represents a decent representative sample to go on. So that's a ratio of 41% (30%) for filtered (unfiltered) "efficiency" for reports-to-tornadoes. That 500+ tornado count in May could very well slip down towards 200 or even below after all the surveys are done given how many people reported on many of them. Average May tornadoes are ~130, with a max of 244 (this is only through 2010).

So I don't feel May 2019 was epically busy at all. What may have made it feel that way was that about 85% of the season was compressed into an 11-day stretch, which is an unsettling trend I have noticed over the past several years now.

Last edited:
I was not able to get out to the Plains this year, and hearing from everyone else, that's probably a good thing. Money wasn't good, and neither was help with childcare, so I just couldn't make a hole in the schedule.

On top of that, my wife fell and broke her ankle two weeks ago, and I'm here at home helping her while holding back a 4-year-old, so the rest of my entire season (local/Atlantic) is probably burned as well.

I guess there's always 2020?

From a tornado standpoint, just OK, blew a number of chances, missed the Tulia, Mangum, Luray and Okemah events by making bad decisions. Also just missed the Imperial structure, still stinging from that one. It would have been a below average year until I came out for the past week, really enjoyed the general lack of crowds and had one of my best structure days ever on the 21st in Colorado and western KS. Chased a total of 20 days.

This year was better for me in terms of forecasting, targeting and execution but quality of tornadoes was subpar for me. Most of them were short lived, from a distance, or after dark. Like Tony said earlier, I don't really have that one tornado this year that makes my season (like Laramie last year which absolutely saved 2018 for me). Aside from quality issues, I did have what I'd consider a good season. My main chase vacation was 5/17-5/28 and I took my Mom along with me this year lol. It's always interesting telling family that you chase but always hard to explain what that entails, so she got to experience the whole grind this year with the forecasting, long drives, busts, and some successes.

Back in 2014 when I failed on the Pilger Day due to general apathy and giving up on the day too early, I've committed to sticking out a chase day until the very end. This resulted in 4 or 5 tornadoes this year that I would have otherwise missed because I would have already been driving to the hotel. On top of that, some of the more fun experiences occurred near sunset or just after. So, that's probably my big take away, that sticking to that mantra of not abandoning a chase until it's dark-dark can pay off.

As far as statistics go, I did chase on 6/22 so maybe my season isn't over yet?
Chase Days: 22
Tornadoes: 13
Tornado Days: 6 - 6/22 (1), 6/15 (2), 6/8 (3), 5/23 (4), 5/20 (2), 5/17 (1)
Miles: 13,487

Missed the last week of April because I was in New York for work. Missed May 17 because I had to work. Got May 20th as a replacement for the 17th so that helped. Had an intense encounter with the Mangum tornado. Also had transportation issues that I finally resolved at the middle of May with a new vehicle. Got a decent tube in New Mexico near Clayton the 26th. Tried and failed to June this year. Ultimately better than 2018 but my second worst year since I started chasing, worse (by a smidge) than 2014.

Fun fact: Never made it into Kansas/Colordo/Missouri or north this year. Just Texas, Louisiana, Oklahoma and New Mexico.

Storm Chasing Days: 12
Tornado Days: 2
Tornadoes: 2
Photogenic Tornadoes: 2
Busts: 5
Largest Hail Encountered: 1
Highest Wind Gust: 60
Miles Driven: 5828
Windshields Replaced: 0
Spotter Network Reports: 5
Best Chase Day: 5/20
States: LA, OK, TX, NM

I'm gonna argue that once the final numbers come in, May 2019 will turn out to be only a somewhat above average month for tornadoes. I think the huge counts that had been initially reported were severely inflated by multi-reporting (i.e., more than one spotter reporting the same tornado).

Take 17 May as an example: currently, the SPC site shows 39 filtered (53 unfiltered) tornado reports. But I could only find damage surveys for 16 tornadoes between LBF, GLD, & DDC (I checked ICT and AMA, but it doesn't appear any tornadoes entered their CWAs). I suspect this is fairly typical of bigger days on the Plains and thus represents a decent representative sample to go on. So that's a ratio of 41% (30%) for filtered (unfiltered) "efficiency" for reports-to-tornadoes. That 500+ tornado count in May could very well slip down towards 200 or even below after all the surveys are done given how many people reported on many of them. Average May tornadoes are ~130, with a max of 244 (this is only through 2010).

So I don't feel May 2019 was epically busy at all. What may have made it feel that way was that about 85% of the season was compressed into an 11-day stretch, which is an unsettling trend I have noticed over the past several years now.

Another indication of how shitty 2019 has been is in the discrepancy between tornado and hail reports so far...
Whereas tornadoes can occur from a variety of storm types (cellular and linear), hail, and especially significant hail, is much more common to supercells, and thus hail report activity can be a better indication of discrete supercellular activity than tornado counts.

So, yeah, tornado counts are plenty high...
ptorngraph.png

but hail reports are very low compared to "average":
phailgraph.png

It would be more telling to examine a plot of accumulated sig hail reports, but SPC doesn't compute that. The data exist, however.

This year has been amazing for me … I have not totaled up exact numbers yet as I hope for more later in the year. I got in the right spots at the right time most days but only really saw a lot of brief tornadoes other than the Lawrence EF-4. The last photo is more of a summary of the year thus far. One thing that really stood out this year was structure ... the mammatus photo is now a canvas on my wall.

Firsts: Louisiana Tornado and new earliest tornado 11:16 am
Chased: LA, TX, OK, CO, KS, MO, NE, IA

1.jpg
4.jpg8.jpg1.jpg2.jpg3.jpgTornado.jpg2019YearUpdate.jpg

Back