2/23/07 NOW: TX, OK, KS

I'd like to be in Memphis right now. Then I'd head E on 256, then N up 83 towards Wellington. LCL's should drop below 1000m by US83.

Donley cty storm lost some reflectivity, but it has a hook for sure.
*edit* crap I got that wrong...It's the storm near McLean that has the hook! (Gray cty)
LOL...and now it's gone on the latest scan.

Just not sure which data you guys are using, but the reflectivity I'm seeing looks to being to crap (for now).
I emphasize "for now," because they have at least sustained themselves for about an hour or so now.

I do see some shear on base velocities, but it's all scattered about and nothing really wrapping up in the ideal location and strength to produce. I hope this changes REAL soon!

Boy do I stand corrected. T-warnings for Gray and Wheeler counties. Hmmm. I'm sure we have some chasers on those, so maybe things ARE getting going after all.

edit: good grief! Wow how things can change with just one updated scan of the radar. Now they're looking discrete again, and the two most southern cells, visible on the AMA radar, look to have nice hooks forming on both. That was fast!
Now, I hope we have chasers on them!

Last edited by a moderator:
Well I'm glad you guys are all so excited about these pulse storms. Not enough CAPE for sustained supercellular updrafts...still looks like the best show will be after dark in W OK. Mid 50's dewpoints...WOWOWOWOW LOL

Spoke too soon?

I think lipscomb co. and roberts co are going up... just hit 1.5 and 1.75 hail

edit: Could the cell sw of memphis be stealing the inflow of the Donely?

Storms are rooting with 4 dominant updrafts taking over. These will be our players. Keep a close eye on Tail End Charlie. I think our southern storm has a high potential of going tornadic.

Sure surprised me. But at least they're holding their own (those 4 cells), and I'm curious to know what's going on up north... I think Hollinghead said he was up there. Radar shows some intense cores, but there a couple of cells up there in "no mans land" that are right in that void area of radar coverage, between Vance, Amarillo and Dodge City. Those look pretty impressive as well.

We just observed a tornado northwest of McLean Texas... we are now headed back east on I40 to intercept southern storm

is it just me or are those 2 nrn cells rotating anticyclonically?!?

EDIT: the new cell SW of the gray co cell appears to have rooted itself and is showing signs of rotation w/ a hook visible on radar.

Doing a bit of nowcasting this evening for Jeff Piotrowski. He is on the Lispscomb County storm that is just about to cross into Beaver County and says it looks great.

Back