2/23/07 NOW: TX, OK, KS

Middle cell looks to be forming a hook now!

Right around Clarendon now... nice hook forming, storm seems to be really increasing and tightening!

Decent tower sw of me(ddc) on the OK border. You can watch the top rip east. Hard to see the base but it appears very high.

One thing I find interesting is that mid-level lapse rates are ~7.5, the cloud tops are all 35-40K feet, so I bet the chasers there are seeing some awesome upward motions!

Severe Thunderstorm Warning for the tail-end storm in Briscoe county just northwest of Turkey getting ready to enter hall county in the next 10-15 minutes. Cell north of this doesn't look too bad either in Donley county. I am wondering if the furthest north cell didn't run into some slightly stable air and lower dewpoints. Of course the insane amount of shear may not be helping either.

Yeah, can definitly point out the three at this point. History says to chase the one furthest south.

The southern storm is in the best shear, and this is reflected in the fact that it currently has the best radar presentation. If I were out there and had to make a choice right this second, I'd probably go for the southern cell if I could reach it. It has a certain look of permanence to it - I doubt it's going to disappear anytime soon.

Yes the southern cell is rooted. All the other cells to north are having a hard time from getting torn apart.

I am not 100% sure, but I believe the more NRN cell that's currently in Gray County, TX was effected by some junk stuff that formed near it and merged with it.

The Briscoe/Hall storm really looks to be getting its act together. Radar presentation appears to give that more classic sup' look. SRV tilt 2 is showing nice storm rotation

History says to chase the one furthest south.

Meteorology says that as well. The southern most cell is the one I would like to be on right now, and not only becuase it currently looks the best but also it puts one in the best position to continue the chase well into the night, it's a lot easier to chase a storm at night when you are convection free to the south and dont have to worry about getting sandwiched although by later tonight this storm probably wont be the southern most one. Hopefully not to many chasers got suckered north by the early converction, even if they did they have the time and road network to recover if they are wise enough to do so now. As the LLJ crarnks up here at night and the storms work into lower LCL's and the storms start to propegate more to the East instead of trainging over rain cooled air I'm sure we'll get a few reports of tornadoes.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Briscoe County cell appears to be tightening up rapidly and trying to form a hook. It looks to be hauling in the general direction of the town of Brice in about ten minutes, and will reach the Lelia Lake/Headley area in about a half hour or so. I'm willing to bet this cell will go tornadic as it approaches the TX/OK state line.

EDIT: Latest radar scan shows a 70 dbz core about five miles southeast of Brice, TX. The storm has a classic pre-tornadic radar presentation and I'm gonna bet that this cell is going to go tornado warned in the next ten minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back