2/23/07 NOW: TX, OK, KS

In the last 2 loops the cell W of Meade, Ks has developed a well defined hook with some rotation but its not much.

Tor. Warning for Meade Co. Ks Looks like it might side swipe the S DDC if it holds together. Also all the cells in W Ks are exploding so this might be it.

Dodge City needs to be on alert. this storm is moving NE at 45mph, which puts the TVS dangerously close to the city.
I agree...the big show is just starting!

The Meade County, KS cell has a classic radar signature with a very well defined hook and is in all likelihood producing a tornado at this time. The circulation is located about eight miles north of Meade, hauling northeast at 45 mph. At this point I'd be more tempted to say the circulation will affect the town of Ford, Kansas if it keeps its current path.

In Oklahoma, the supercell in northern Ellis County, OK appears to be developing a hook echo on base reflectivity near or over the town of Gage and is moving towards Woodward. Also looks like a potential hook on the cell in western Woods County near Waynoka.

EDIT: TOR Warning for Meade and Gray Counties has been updated. Circulation is now 7 miles northwest of Fowler, KS as of 10:03 p.m. CST. Motion remains the same, though interestingly they've slowed the speed to 25 mph.

Last edited by a moderator:
All I can say is WOW... that hook in northeastern Meade County is AWESOME! There has to be a strong tornado on the ground with that tight and intense of a circulation. Ford had better watch out in about a half hour to forty five minutes if this holds together.

Looking at the Tornado Warning for Ford County NWS mentions that there is a confirmed tornado on the ground... Absolutely no surprise to me.

EDIT: Its also fun to see blizzard warnings immediately north of tornado warnings, ahh spring in the plains.

Just looked at the storm relative velocity from DDC - a classic side-by-side green and red couplet is centered 6 miles southeast of the town of Ensign, KS in far southwestern Ford County. The 25 mph forward speed must have been a typo because in the latest warning the speed is back to 40 mph. It doesn't look as strong as it did a few minutes ago, but the original mesocyclone could be occluding and a new one forming so it will likely restrengthen in the next scan or two.
It now looks like the circulation will pass just a few miles to the south/southeast of Dodge City proper, likely across the Wilroads Gardens/Wright Fort Dodge area in about fifteen minutes to half an hour.
I certainly hope people are seeking shelter in central Ford County now, especially with a confirmed tornado on the ground.

kvnx_br248.png

Tornado on the ground

AT 1018 PM CST...TRAINED WEATHER SPOTTERS REPORTED A TORNADO ON THE
GROUND AROUND 7 MILES NORTHWEST OF FOWLER. THE TORNADO WAS MOVING
NORTHEAST AT 40 MPH.

this storms has a really nice, tight circulation. could be a pretty intense tornado approaching downtown DDC. also curious to see what becomes of the large cluster of cells NE of DDC that appear to be congealing into one giant storm.

Newly issued warning for extreme east central Gray County and western Ford County at 10:31 p.m. CST has been extended to include Dodge City. The hook has dissapeared for the moment, I think a new meso is forming and may get its act together just in time to send another tornado smashing across Dodge City.:eek:

Who wants to bet Mike Umscheid and his night crew are down in the basement of the NWS office in Dodge City right now?

Last edited by a moderator:
Back