12/07 - WINTER STORM: SRN PLAINS

LMAO, the Norman Dome is in full effect!

fxc_Developing_Weather.jpg

It's not me.....still in Dallas and it's been sleeting all day so far.

Please cancel all scheduled lynchings. Thank you.

The University of North Texas just announced that the campus will close at 1:00 PM. So far we've had rain, sleet, and snow intermittantly since about 9:00 AM, and I suppose there's a light coating of ice on the secondary streets. I don't intend to investigate since I don't trust my fellow Denton-ites on their first ice day of the year.

But I love that UNT is closing already. It reminds me of my first winter in Indiana three years ago. A fair snowfall was forecast for the next day, and I went to the main English Department office to see what the secretaries (who always know more about what's going on than anybody on campus) thought about the chance for cancellation.

Both ladies had worked at IU for more than twenty years. They looked at each other and smiled and one of them said to me, "They haven't cancelled classes at Indiana University since the Blizzard of 1974." And they never did while I was there, even though that first winter was a record-setter, with around 50 inches of snow before it was over.

I glanced at the RUC a minute ago and it seems that the 850 moisture continues to stream north until late tonight, so I guess we'll keep on keeping on. It appeared a short time ago that we're cold enough now for snow exclusively. That's all I saw falling from the last patch of precip.

I am sorry to report that our efforts to destroy the deflector shield have failed. While we did bring down the main power generator, we underestimated Norman's infrastructure and ability to bring it back online so quickly... We have reason to believe there may be another secret nuclear generator being run in the basement of the NEL building on the campus of OU.

Norman Dome 1 - Winter Storm - 0

Obviously we are still too dry... although I can't locate the sounding from OUN this morning. In addition, main forcing is with the CVA aloft, and S near the front. Doh.

Aaron

Jeesh - Norman cannot catch a break ... unbelievable. Almost sounds like another dustbowl shaping up down there the way this is going.

Walked out to do some video at lunch and there was an accident right in front of me on 435 ... sounds like there are plenty of them right now. Seems like it takes a while to get it together during the first good snow of the season. Very light, 'dry' snowfall here in 12 degree temps. I'd post some photos, but don't want to rub salt in the wound for anyone to the south.

Aye, Captain, we've put a small chink in their shield...sleet/snow mix falling in Norman as I speak....er, type. Started just before 1300 and is actually acumulating!!! :D 8)
Angie

Ya, -

"Ah cannae dae it Cap'n - ah just doon't have the powrrrr!!!!".

LMAO.

Aaron - your efforts will go down in the hallways of N.A.D.S. as one of the pivotal moments in our history when we actually did manage to make it precipitate below 32oF!!!

I am about to make a trip to Norman's Post Office, bank, and Wal-Mart for the afternoon - amidst the sleet/snow/pellets/whatever it is. Wish me luck......LOL........Oklahoma drivers in light snow? I may be some time.......... :wink:

KR

Aaron - your efforts will go down in the hallways of N.A.D.S. as one of the pivotal moments in our history when we actually did manage to make it precipitate below 32oF!!!
KR

Can we chant "GO NADS"? ::lol:

I am not rubbing it in, just excited about the snowfall. I am in Iola, KS and it has been snowing all day. It is a really dry, powdery snow. We have around 3 inches so far and more is expected. Here are 2 pics if you are interested. I certainly hope all you Normanites can get a little action down there as well. Good luck!

000_0006.jpg

000_0002.jpg

I guess we'll take what we can get. I don't remember many significant snowstorms in central oklahoma from systems that have approached like this one has. Always better to get a big wet system coming out of the southwest....but SOMETHING falling from the sky is nice to see for a change.

I just saved a cool radar image from twin lakes showing well the depth of the arctic air. http://www.okweatherwatch.com/depth.png

SRV at .5/1.5/2.4/3.4 degrees has the beam height about 3000 ft where the low level north winds shift to southwest....

Thank you NADS for at least taking out the power generator in so doing you have allowed us in Denton County TX to get some sleet today. Hey it's no ice storm but seeing the pellets of sleet falling and having a nice sheet of slick ice all over our stairwell is very nice. Currently my sons bedroom window is completely sheeted out in ice!! Outstanding!! a major improvement for the weather here in Frisco TX. We need a whole lot more ice to come down bring on the so called winter storm warning we're under.

"Instability=Success> Punch the core break a windsheild"

Starting to see some snow sticking here in Tulsa. It's coming down fairly light, but what is coming down seems to be staying on the ground (at least on the roads). I've already been hearing calls about traffic accidents from the roads from the FD and PD. I tried to go to the bank and EVERYONE is driving like 25mph, which is what I think is probably causing the wrecks since the roads are slick. The snow is just blowing around on them for the most part (highly traveled roads). I hate Tulsa drivers... excluding Steve and Justin of course :)

I think here in extreme western Olathe, we have about 3 inches, looks like more is on the way though. Just threw out about 2 pounds of bird seed for the blue jays, cardinals, mourning doves and whatever other kinds of birds that are flawking to it, which is right next to my window and which is accompanied by an electric fireplace. :D 10 degrees out and a -4 windchill makes me hibernate for the rest of the evening. :wink:

Here are a few grabs from my snowchase today .... work let out at 3:00 ... the highways are a mess, pretty much.

snow1.gif
snow2.gif

snow3.gif
snow4.gif

snow5.gif

Sitting in Panera right now drinking hot chocolate ... ahhhhhh ....

radar4jk.jpg

Don't worry, I think we also have a deflector shield here in Amarillo. :(

Back