12/07 - WINTER STORM: SRN PLAINS

After much meditation, I have theorized that I'M the OUN wx deflector. Will attempt to prove this theory by leaving Dallas tomorrow and returning to OUN. If the snowy forecast busts, I'm to blame.

Originally posted by Angie Norris
:lol: LOL, Rob!!! I was wondering how long it would take :wink: 8)
Angie

I can't resist an easy joke, no matter how bad it is. 2 lumps of coal for my stocking this year.

RS

In Central Texas(including Waco) we were changed earlier today from a winter storm watch to a warning which has now been extended through early Thursday morning. What?! Couldn't catch a storm all spring or summer, haven't had any substantial rain since maybe September, and now we're expecting ICE! Go figure.

Changed the thread title... This appears to be mostly a southern plains event for the time being, so I just edited the title to better fit the timeframe / location.

I may start another thread for the Great Lakes / Northeast if the models continue (or after better analysis of the 00Z data).

Hey i hear due to the impending winter weather event, Stoops has decided to move practice indoors........guess where?

Remember how above Antarctica theres a continuous hole in the ozone layer, that keeps changing its shape, kinda like an ameba but never fills in. Well if global warming is starting to occur and the ice caps are melting, then maybe, just maybe the deflector shields are deflecting incoming IR and UV radiation back into the atm creating a second hole in the ozone which explains everything around here.....hmm increased 850mb temps year round leading to....something called a cap and warmer 850mb level temps in the winter which ive heard but let me go check..yeah,check, it does prevent such ice crystal formation that would lead to a term that meteorologist (scientist that study and attempt to forecast whats known on Earth as weather) call snCENSORED.

hey, it could happen.

Shane im hunting you down............will be making a thread in Map room for Shane Chasing.

btw its 2:30am and I think ive lost it.

LOL Chris,

I never would have thought that DFW would be the place to be for the first Srn Plains winter storms of the season. :roll: Shane - we're coming to hunt you down, you know??

Anyway - I just sat and watched a DFW met talking about their upcoming winter storm today......and sure enough they had a loop on the screen of the return-moisture making its way back north. Dallas is below freezing now and the moisture is arriving as we speak. The only thing I choked at was when their on-screen met. gestured to the white echoes vs. pink or green and said "oh don't worry folks - that's not snow that's falling here - that's just frozen rain"!!!! :shock: Mmmmkay......

Well I guess we'll see what the Dust Bowl II (a/k/a OUN) can pick up out of this moisture-starved system.

Watch it prove me wrong and we get like 10+ inches. I DARE IT TO!!!!!!!!!!!!!! PROVE ME WRONG - DUMP ON US!!!!!!!!!!

Grrrrrrrrrrrrr...............LOL.

This thread is silly.........I hope I don't feel the wrath of the mod wand........ :wink:

KR

Shane - I hope you have a good explanation for all this.........

>>Image removed - out of date<<

:roll:

And I think back to Jeff S's post........

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
But hey, you should NEVER doubt the power of the Norman weather deflectors, lest you want to get burned. :lol:

I'm not laughing anymore...........

KR

And of course, since it's been relatively cool the past several days, the ground has actually had time to cool quiet a bit. Mesonet indicates that the 10cm bare-soil temperatures run from the low-40s in the southeast, to near the freezing mark near the I44 corridor, to the 20s in the northwest. So, what does this mean? This means that snow that falls actually has a chance of sticking! Well, southeastern OK is still a little warm, but the rest of that would see ground temps that support snow sticking.

This is not necessarily a good thing, however, since this enhances the Norman Dome, thereby making it more difficult for anything interesting to happen... :evil:

Snowing like crazy up here ... made for an interesting ride to work. Seems like the ground was instantly covered, and the big snowfall isn't expected till later on this afternoon/evening ...

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder
And of course, since it's been relatively cool the past several days, the ground has actually had time to cool quiet a bit.

I've been curious about something lately ... is there something to this? - You always hear people talking about the ground being too warm to allow snow to stick, but I've really questioned that reasoning. I've seen times when we've gone from near 70 degrees to below freezing in a day's time, and yet the snow still sticks on the ground. Maybe not for the first hour or two, but it really doesn't seem like it takes that long for it to cool off and start stacking up.

Anyway - it's just something I've been wondering about for any of you winter weather experts out there ... Seems like the right storm can pile up snow amounts, warm ground or not - - -

Mike,

I think it largely depends on the rate of snowfall. The melting process absorbs energy (similar to how condensation releases energy), so if the ground temp is 36, fallen snow that melts does decrease the surface temperature. In addition, if swow is falling heavily, it will accumulate on top faster than it can melt on the bottom, so you still end up will net accumulation. It does certainly helps that temps near OKC have been cool lately, since it's allowed the topsoil to cool, thereby giving us a better chance that snow that falls will stick (or at least stick appreciably).

Is there anywhere else in the entire Southern Plains where the stinking sun is out????? NO!! But it sure as heck is shining bright here in Norman. Someone is going to have to hold me back from Shane....this is outrageous.

Interesting...the ETA sure seems to be much heavier on the precip for the 12z run compared to last night's 0z run:

etaSP_0_prec_18.gif

Originally posted by Lance Maxwell
Interesting...the ETA sure seems to be much heavier on the precip for the 12z run compared to last night's 0z run:

Well in that pic. you posted it's still tough luck for anybody living at the I-35/I-40 intersection!! I don't live in Le Flore-freaking-County Oklahoma!!! :twisted: :roll:

Ahhhahahaha..........don't look at the RUC's precip run this morning, then!

Very dry, very dry.........

This really is horrible.

KR

I think the biggest problem with the 4-6 inches forecast was the ETA's handling of the snow melt over the northern great plains the past couple days. One of the model's tendencies is to underresolve radiational cooling over the GP at night (i.e. too warm on clear evenings - a consequence of the surface layer components underestimating the amount of longwave radiation emitted) , which leads to more melting and greater surface moisture content. The problem clearly remedied itself on the subsequent model runs, however.

Back