11/12/05 Reports: Central Plains

It's a little late now but I'd thought put in my report. My fiance Katie and I both agree that this was more of a stormrace than a stormchase. We were looking good on 141 headed east until we noticed what the storm (that eventually hit Woodward) was doing to our south, this is the moment that broke our chase, like Mike said, if you stopped your chase was over. We stopped on 141 and breifly debated over continuing east to catch the southern storm or to head north and attack the northern storm from the south. Unfortunately we decided to go north and arrived in Stratford moments after it was just struck. We missed the tornado but we noticed a lot of people wondering around in a daze so we starting giving people rides to the fire station where they could get some help. I've never been in a town right after it got hit by a tornado so this was a humbling experience that I hope doesn't happen again for me anytime soon. Other than that it was a fun chase or race or whatever you you want to call it.

FINALLY got around to posting this photo I took of the Woodward tornado as it is about to cross Hwy 141 just southwest of the town. (If the link doesn't initially work, try hitting the refresh button)

Edit: Yes, unfortunately a light pole and highway sign is blocking the tornado but the ugly, rotten truth is that my camera batteries died right after this and I was not able to get any more photos. Don't even get me started on how frustrating this was :x

I mentioned in the FCST thread Saturday that the storms might come to me, and BOY did I call it! In fact one of the tornadoes near Ames passed within 2 miles of my apartment building. I have been chasing central Iowa for 6 years and this was easily my best chase in the NWS Des Moines forecast area.

http://image53.webshots.com/53/1/1/49/5048...49MenSST_ph.jpg

Back