11/08/05 NOW: Great Lakes/OH Valley

The storm in Grant and Blackford Counties has wrapped up on radar over the last half hour or so. Even the storm forming to the north in Wabash County has a persistent, peculiar wind knot in the base velocity from both KIWX and KIND. The view north from Flowlerton must be something esle right now.

Torndo Warning has just been issued for Grant and Blackford counties, IN. I was wondering when the warning was coming out, because it looks like a hook is becoming visable.

Yes, please try to keep non-complaint posts to a minimum...

Storm currently in Blackford county currently showing a very nice hook echo on radar... With a nice couplet visable near Upland. Instability is pretty weak across the area... However, the storm is rooted right on the warm front which is helping it become sfc-based.

EDIT: Storm to the north is taking shape... And has been showing some nice low-level rotation the past few scans. If it continues to tighten and strengthen, a TOR should be issued for this cell soon as well...

What a great time for the KIWX level 2 radar to crap out. KIND still works though, and it seems like the Blackford County supercell isn't spinning quite as hard as it was a little while ago. Meanwhile, the Wabash County cell has made its way over to Huntington County, and I still think that one has some promise. It's been looking pretty decent and hovering right at the threshold for a while now.

Cell wrapped up pretty quick...probably due motion which is up and over the front...other side of the front is not so nice air (10 F less in T/Td), so I assume it came off the surface quick...winds need to veer a little more in the mid-levels to get storm motions more ESE and make it possible of cells to hook on the bndry...which may not happen.

possible initiation in rock county wisconsin, looks to be a line forming to the sw into stephenson county illinois

looks ragid on lot radar, a little better on mkx

Let's try to keep all posts as meteorologically-insightful as possible. Play-by-play's probably aren't necessary, and the copy and pasting of the full text of publically-available NWS products is not allowed, per the rules. If you must copy/paste something from the NWS or SPC, please make it brief, and always comment on the quote. Remember, most folks reading this thread are keeping as up-to-date about the situation as you are, so posting warnings, etc, is discouraged, unless it's really one of those "something you don't see every day" things. In other words, no need to copy/paste a product unless it's something you find particularly newsworthy (special text, etc).

I can't believe they have not issued a TOR warning on the Huntington/Wells County Cell, yet. It's displaying very strong low level rotation, and has developed a hook formation/appendage/extrusion. Maybe the cell moving across eastern Lake Michigan, will attach to the other cells, as well possibly making it a line.

I am totally clueless on why the storm to the south of Huntington isn't warned... It has been showing supercell characteristics and a slight appendage on radar for the past 3-4 scans. It's very close to the warm front and is most like surface-based. I would have a SVR issued on that storm based on 60MPH wind potential...

EDIT: Dan C or Mods... Could you make the radar grabs smaller? It's screwing up the word-wrap on my screen and I have to "scroll" over to see the rest of the text...

Re: new development over N tier of IL, will be interesting to pick up the actual storm motion vectors, as this area right on the edge of either ENE or ESE movement. Tor watch box appears to be very well juxtapositioned upon effective SR helicity, strengthening MUCAPE and quite low LCL's.

Range of this overall system is quite remarkable - surface convergence even extending all the way here into Richmond, Va, as storms moving in over the current hour. Meanwhile, the elusive triple point of the system seems to displaying shape on reflectivity from Omaha!

That was what I wondering above, as well. If you look at the velocity scans, you can see strong low level rotation in southern Wells County. The NE side of this storm is becoming clustered...

Checking out KGRR radar shows increasing and intensifying elevated convection north of the warm frontal boundary pushing onto the western MI shoreline. Storms could remain intense for a bit as they move onland, with some weak elevated instability supporting marginal severe hail potential. The best threat for MI won't be until morning, however...

Kurt Hulst is likely speeding to the shoreline with his cameras for lightning ops :D

Nick,

I don't think that storm is surface-based. I think it WAS surface-based about an hour ago, but not any longer. One good way to see this is by the change in forward motion. It started moving ESE at a relatively slow motion, then quickly changed to ENE at a faster pace, an indicator that the storm stopped ingesting surface parcels. In addition, the 3z surface obs aren't impressive, and there is likely very little, if any, surface-based instability near that storm cluster.

radar.png

Back