07/25/05 TALK: NORTHERN PLAINS/GREAT LAKES

Edward, Yes that lil' arrow seems to point into Palo Alto co, the emmetsburg area. Sigtor on the SPC page puts a bullseye of 2 across northwest Iowa. That will likely be increasing as the mid level winds increase along this afternoon. Looks like I may not have to go to far, I think I'll stay around here for a while instead of heading down towards Storm Lake.

That's probably not the best choice. If something forms, it will likely form along a line from Storm Lake to north of Waterloo at this point.
You wont want to attack these storms from the north, so best shot is to look for WIFI to your south.

First tornado warning is out of Wisconsin?!?! Hrm, I didn't see that one coming. Apparently there's a rotating wall cloud that has been reported with it. I keep hoping for that WW to come out. Just as they said on that area forecast discussion out of NWS DMX, it looks like things are coming together and intensifying...sort of.

Looks like a small discrete cell trying to go up in NC IA, its struggling though, probably with the mid-level junk, but the parameters its sitting in are very favorable for sup and tors. I know Darin Brunin and Dick McGowan are out chasing in the area, trying to get ahold of them at the moment.

First tornado warning is out of Wisconsin?!?! Hrm, I didn't see that one coming. Apparently there's a rotating wall cloud that has been reported with it.

I was on that cell in Walworth County....ragged structure, briefly had a slooooowly rotating wall cloud for about a minute, but dissapated rapidly as the storm fell apart as it moved east across the county (closer to Lake Michigan)

I was on the second cell thru the county again around 1700, and it was even worse looking.

Funny report out of WV...

0625 PM TSTM WND DMG TORNADO 38.33N 81.86W
07/25/2005 KANAWHA WV NWS EMPLOYEE

SEVERAL TREES DOWN.

SPC has it listed as a tornado.

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/reports/today.html

hehe.

EDIT: Ick, the format didn't stick, basically its a report of wind damage in the town of "tornado, west virginia"

pretty good storms moving through the nw burbs of chicago, i guess there has been damage to the American airlines hangar at ohare (63mph wind)

Very interesting on the ARX radar... If you loop it, you can see the radar echos "pulse down" as the squall line roars overhead. I wonder if the heavy precipitation distrupted the beam?

Interesting - you're right. I thought the line was weakening, but now it looks like it did before. Good observation. I'm sure you're right about the beam. I'm guessing the heavy precip near the antenna attenuated the signals somewhat.

Jarrod Cook

Very interesting on the ARX radar... If you loop it, you can see the radar echos "pulse down" as the squall line roars overhead. I wonder if the heavy precipitation distrupted the beam?

Yeah... I seen the same type of thing back in March on the Jackson NWS Radar...

Yeah... I seen the same type of thing back in March on the Jackson NWS Radar...

Yeah, I see it all the time when storms are headed for our location - they seem to pulse down. But, sadly, they never come back :cry: :lol:

Anyway, cells popping up all over across MI/IN - some look pretty intense. With CAPE remaining AOA 2000J/KG, and a rapid increase in shear thanks to the LLJ which will fire up, things should stay pretty active...

I'm not sure what to think about this....there is a tornado report in today's LSRs for Tornado, West Virginia (about 10 miles SW of Charleston). I've been waiting for this to happen someday.

I've always thought that people would be anxious to be the first to report a tornado in Tornado, so it will be interesting to see the results of the damage survey. I'm heading down there in the morning to check it out.

I was about 5 miles away from Tornado today in St. Albans, on the leading edge of strong outflow that gusted to 40mph. The storms were linear, outflow dominant to the max and and weakening. I'm skeptical of any tornado report, but I guess it is possible.

Now, see, the only thing I have to think is that there will be no storms in MI and things will pop :lol:

Yeah, some nice storms popping near the IN/MI border, with SVRs across 3 southeast MI counties. Instability isn't too bad, let's hope things will still stay strong as they reach the Detroit area.

Now, see, the only thing I have to think is that there will be no storms in MI and things will pop :lol:

Yeah, some nice storms popping near the IN/MI border, with SVRs across 3 southeast MI counties. Instability isn't too bad, let's hope things will still stay strong as they reach the Detroit area.

I think those storms are rooted right on the warm front - as you can see a well defined boundary those storms are connected too (well, at least on L2 data).

Back