07/03/05 TALK: MIDWEST

Just arrived home from chasing the large and violent HP over the last few hours. I was unable to observe any tornadoes ... storm was extremely difficult to chase as it was extremely massive and the mesocyclone itself was huge. I was unable to exit my vehicle for over 2 1/2-3 hrs due to some insane CG activity.. I was scared to step a foot outside.. no joke. I don't doubt the tornado reports... I think the majority were very weak and short lived however due to such a large area of broad rotation with the meso. I myself experienced some winds of I would say 60-70mph in western Wichita... I was able to stay out of the hail core.

Another note.. storm was very difficult to chase once in W Sedgwick county.. roads were packed and people were driving like complete idiots.

Despite the CG's... I was able to snap some shots/video from inside the car.. had a very classic stacked plate sort of appearence.

Looks like this storm/complex may continue into N OK the next few hours.. SPC seems pretty concerned with potential overnight. Other storms in NE CO may furthur cause problems for my area later tonight.

BTW... big thanks to Mike Johnston for some excellent nowcasting this afternoon and evening!

Does anybody know the extent of the damage in wichita. It looked pretty bad from where I'm sitting. Several upscale bow echoes possible into the evening.

...Alex Lamers...

No major damage reported. Most of the damage is in SE Reno county near Cheney Lake. I have heard reports of overturned boats and cars near that area.. (not sure if tornado or outflow wind related).

Not hearing a lot of reports of power outages either.. I think Wichita dodged the bullet well!

Wave one starting to come into Northern Oklahoma. No major winds so far on the mesonet...we'll see how this progesses. I did want to mention the OUN AFD put out a little while ago...the first couple lines is just priceless. :)

.UPDATE...
NO NEED TO MAKE ANY BIG CHANGES AT THIS POINT. THERE WILL BE
STORMS AND SOME WILL BE SEVERE WITH HEAVY RAIN. NUFF SAID.

EDIT: Mesonet site out in Beaver County has gusts to 52 mph. Currently holding gusts to around 40 mph in the warned counties of north central Oklahoma.

Mesonet site in Blackwell...in Kay County...now has winds at 60 mph. Second cluster appears to finally be forming into a large bow to begin its plunge through Kansas and Oklahoma.

Mesonet site in Blackwell...in Kay County...now has winds at 60 mph. Second cluster appears to finally be forming into a large bow to begin its plunge through Kansas and Oklahoma.

The radar out of wichita looks a lot like the 95 new york derecho

Alva in Woods County OK so far had a peak gust of 68 mph...with winds staying pretty strong from 15-20 min.

Highest wind so far is in Kay County at 71 MPH at Newkirk.

On the news, they said six people were taken to the hospital, 1 critical. There was a boat or a couple of them that capsized. 2 or 3 people missing there.

I think the damage in the Cheney Lake area was a combo. There were spotters reporting a tornado over Cheney Lake, and then most likely got the straight line winds after that (highest measured wind was 76 kts).

Now it's on for round two. Winds around 80 miles an hour reported in the Harper county region with this one.

Edit #1: News report Monday morning says one person is unaccounted for at Cheney Lake.

Edit #2: News gets worse. As of noon Tuesday (7/5), body found Tuesday assumed to be the body in question, but it hasn't been confirmed.

Can you imagine the havoc this is causing for flight controllers routing flights around this mess? I suppose they're used to it, though.

Thank fully right now is just a bunch of red eyes and some cargo flights that are still running on the holiday. Best part of our bow looks to be in Sumner Co, KS and Grant Co, OK. The southern edge could look a bit better. Though there is some development going on back into the TX Panhandle now, so this thing could undergo some pretty quick changes here.

KOCO was reporting power flashes in Nash as the storm was approaching. OG&E reporting outages in Woodward of 460 and Vici of 51. Not sure how credible the info for Shattuck is, and the OKC outages coming in now are not storm related.

Kinda breezey out there...

1222 AM TSTM WND GST BLACKWELL 36.80N 97.28W
07/04/2005 102 MPH KAY OK EMERGENCY MNGR

MEASURED WIND GUST AT NORTHWEST PART OF TOWN.

Watching this storm coming into Blaine County now...seems it will be the play on the OKC area and it is the strongest core right now as well.

SPC storm reports have a 124mph wind report, measured by Oklahoma mesonet, in Major county Oklahoma. That is amazing. I don't think I remember hearing about straight line winds that strong before. I don't ever pay attention to wind damage reports though.

SPC storm reports have a 124mph wind report, measured by Oklahoma mesonet, in Major county Oklahoma. That is amazing. I don't think I remember hearing about straight line winds that strong before. I don't ever pay attention to wind damage reports though.

Yeah, the highest I see was 165-ish, which occured during the "tornadocane" - http://www.spc.noaa.gov/coolimg/nc_storm/

The derecho of May 31, 1998 produced SEVERAL +100mph reports, with 128mph being reported in lower MI.

Back