07/03/05 TALK: MIDWEST

Kansas Highlights, winds up t0 85 mph, 4.00 inch hail, 5 tornadoes
thru 6:50 PM CDT

0634 PM TORNADO COLWICH 37.78N 97.54W
07/03/2005 SEDGWICK KS LAW ENFORCEMENT
LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO WITH DEBRIS ON THE GROUND JUST WEST OF COLWICH, TORNADO LIFTED SOON AFTER

0619 PM TORNADO 8 N CHENEY 37.74N 97.78W
07/03/2005 RENO KS EMERGENCY MNGR
ROPE TORNADO WENT ACROSS CHENEY LAKE.

0542 PM TORNADO 3 NNE PRETTY PRAIRIE 37.82N 98.00W
07/03/2005 RENO KS STORM CHASER
TOUCHED DOWN BRIEFLY.

0520 PM TORNADO ARLINGTON 37.90N 98.18W
07/03/2005 RENO KS TRAINED SPOTTER
TORNADO REPORTED NEAR ARLINGTON

0130 PM TORNADO 6 N OTIS 38.62N 99.05W
07/03/2005 RUSH KS PUBLIC
BRIEF TOUCHDOWN. REPORT RECEIVED FROM KSNW.
Mike

Just talked to my sister in Wichita...everyone is taking cover; local media warning now of 70 to 100mph winds. Talked to Dick McGowan now heading S of Wichita - saw CG's crash down directly from the anvil, through the shelf cloud. Evidently, this is one special storm.

The person in the mobile unit that reported that first said 90+ mph winds, was blown into oncoming traffic, and pulled over with the vehicle rocking every which way. Five minutes later, reported the same 100 mph w/ golfball sized hail. Said he could barely hear himself (I can only image). Five minutes after that, he started reporting roofs blown off and street signs completely bent over.

Power is flickering here (20 miles SE of Wichita). I decided to stay put since there is nothing to gain with being out in that stuff.

0705 PM TSTM WND GST 5 S ANDALE 37.72N 97.63W
07/03/2005 100 MPH SEDGWICK KS BROADCAST MEDIA
REPORTED BY KFDI MOBILE UNIT. GOLFBALL SIZE HAIL ALSO REPORTED.
Mike

From the Sedgwick County EM:
---------------------------------------
07:07:26PM

Commercial Radio

KFDI spotter Jared Zarello reports 100 MPH winds, golf ball sized hall at 21st Street North and 247th West
07:09:02PM

NWS

K-96 at Mt Hope and the gun club - building destroyed with debris scattered.
07:13:38PM

KC0FMS
RACES

Mt Hope--power lines down and structural damage
07:40:00PM

KC0KSV
RACES

Cloud lowering at Beech (?) with rotation

Dang...it's too hard to see if there is still rotation with this storm bc sitting on the 88d and I can't get Vance radar to work. I hate to be in the Wichita forecast office right about now!

OUN Short term forecast pointing out new watch until 4am for Northern and Central Oklahoma coming out shortly. That monster in ICT is just impressive on the webcam views.

I realize that it's a TV station radar, but The KAKE radar is showing the northern half of the bow's leading edge is rolling over the southern end of Wichita...a quick glimpse at COD shows this also.

http://www.kake.com/weather

Great webcam pics of it coming over town.

From the Sedgwick CO EM...

07:47:12PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizen report. 1930 S. Woodlawn. Citizen reports rotation just south of this location. The location is allegedly in the clouds.

07:48:13PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizen report. 4833 S. LULU. Calling party advises that funnel cooud is forming here.

07:48:51PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizen report. 2411 S. Broadway. Reporting party advises right behind this location, south of the Walmart he sees rotation in the clouds.

07:49:40PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizen report. 7065 S. Ida. Reporting party is seeing a tornado form and starting to drop at this location. Again, this is an unconfirmed report.

07:50:22PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizens report. 1001 E. MacArthur. Reporting party says that he just had a debris cloud touch down. Said there was 80 MPH winds.

07:51:18PM
Citizen Report
This is an unconfirmed citizens report. 1785 W 35th South. Calling paty advises tornado is forming over the storm shelter. Again, this is an unconfirmed report.

I don't know if these are in the same area geographically, but a flood of civilian tornado reports within 3 minutes or so concerns me a lot...

It wouldn't really surprise me much if these weren't real tornadoes. It was hard to see on radar, but it looked as if it was still rotating as it went through the wichita area.

Back