06/07/05 TALK: N Plains

• Thread starter Douglas Mitchell
  • Start date
FWIW I've been virtual chasing in Junction City, KS area for the last few hours. Probably nuts, but at least it's virtually very warm and very humid down there! Some backed winds, reasonable cap and enough CAPE to make things quite interesting.

The cell just to the north of Pine Ridge looks like it is trying to get its act together. It just sucked out the storm to its north. Storm motion is kind of discouraging (NNE) but it is still early.

Must be rather frustrating seeing that monster cell in southern Shannon County right now. Nearly inaccessible - with a road network better referred to as trails from what I can tell. Recent split of southern cell could significantly disrupt cell further north - and right mover at least hinting at a more northeast cell motion. Might be a road to approach it from Potatoe Creek to Kyle - but looks like a risky venture for sure.

Glen

The storm in Shannon county has split. The left-split will likely turn the storm to its north into junkus or at least a very disorganized future-svr cell.

Perhaps keep an eye out for a right-mover heading into NE shortly.......

But the mosture still isn't there!

KR

EDIT: The right-moved now has a meso indicated in exactly the correct area. It might be game on for anybody in Chadron/Valentine.

Originally posted by Karen Rhoden

EDIT: The right-moved now has a meso indicated in exactly the correct area. It might be game on for anybody in Chadron/Valentine.

I'm thinking it would be an incredible feat for this cell to move back across the state line. It appears to be riding along a ridge (topographic, not atmospheric), and that would take it out to around the Kadoka area eventually. Could well see more storms build down further south though - in fact that is what I'd be banking on - aside from a brief glimpse of the above mentioned storm - which however could be a picture of a lifetime if it passes through Badlands National Park.

Glen

Cells

Not sure if anyone is noticing due to the attention out west but we have a developing cell in NW Iowa on the IA/MN border ENE of Spencer..... something beginning to happen here as CU and towering CU have been developing here for the last hour or two...

The Shannon County storm looks impressive on satellite, but it's awfully puny on radar. I guess it's over the Badlands, so perhaps the radar is having a tough time seeing it?

The Cu field to the east near Pierre doesn't look any thicker than before. Surface winds are pretty sad up there, so I guess there's not much convergence along the boundary. Temps are kind of cool, too. I'm having serious doubts the cap can be broken in Central SD, but I guess it's only 5:00 CDT/4:00 PM MDT.

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN THE TWIN CITIES HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
BARRON COUNTY IN NORTHWEST WISCONSIN

* UNTIL 515 PM CDT

* AT 444 PM CDT...LAW ENFORCEMENT REPORTED A TORNADO 1 MILE WEST OF
ALMENA MOVING NORTHEAST AT 20 MPH.

I guess the next major outbreak I will go to Wisconsin. Seems like the between today and Saturday they have had as many good storms as anyone without hardly even being mentioned by SPC.

I've been monitoring southeast Nebraska a bit and it would appear that there's a marginal chance for supercell development as the evening wears on. It's very marginal, but enough to make me want to keep my camera on hand.

Sitting at a BP in Chamberlain, SD the DOW and the tornado attack vehicle are here. Nice little chaser convergance by South Dakota standards.

-Scott.

Southern SD cell finally starting to move out of Shannon county - though is still a long way from entering a reasonable road network - but might at least be accessible in the near future. Atmosphere remains stubborn further south and east - but haven't given up hope yet.

Glen

That cell northeast of Rapid City looks like a real whopper. Big ol' 70 Dbz hook with a gate-to-gate, and the VIL is popping 65 in the core. Talk about your play-in-the-hail type storm! :D

I agree that the Meade County storm looks nice, although it's clearly in no-man's land. It looks as if SR 34 could have been useful for a little while, but once the storm enters the Cheyenne River Indian Reservation, I guess you'll need a horse or something. :p

Obviously, I don't envy any chaser trying to keep up with that storm.

Just got back from severe warned cell in se johnson county. MUahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh .....fired up, then dissipated like someone shot it in the ass. Itty bitty hail and wind, meso was trying to form.

Back