6/24/05 TALK: Central/Northern Plains

I figured I would start up a talk thread, beings some of us northern plainers will be out today. Some precip across IA/NE right now that is not impressing me to much for the severe potential.

But, an interesting quote from DMX this morning in their AFD:

HAVE BCM A BIT MORE CONCERNED ABT TORNADO POTENTIAL THIS AFTN AND
HAVE ADDED MENTION TO HWO. SFC VORTICITY FAIRLY IMPRESSIVE ALG
FNTL BNDRY AS IT SAGS INTO NWRN IA. PLENTY OF SUN IS XPCD IN WRM
SECTOR ALLOWING FOR STEEP LOW LVL LAPSE RATES AND STRETCHING
POTENTIAL. THE NR SFC SHEAR AND INSTABILITY...0-3KM CAPES MAY APCH
150 J/KG...COULD PRODUCE NON-SUPERCELL TORNADOES EVEN THOUGH DEEP
SHEAR IS RELATIVELY WEAK. NAM...AND TO A LESSER EXTEND GFS...ESP
AND NST NON-SUPERCELL TORNADO PARAMETERS HIGHLIGHT THIS POTENTIAL
OVR CNTRL IA THIS AFTN. MAY BE A TRICKY WRNG DAY.

I'll be out with Jeffrey Miller and his wife today. Our starting point looks to be the SUX area.

The OAX HWO also mentions a chance of isolated tornadoes this afternoon... I look for mainly large hail and wind with mostly multicell clusters along the coldfront this afternoon... I will be heading north out of Omaha around 2 with my partner Bob...

This could change based on frontal boundary position this afternoon...

decisions, decisions.

Sitting in Onawa with Jayson Prentice on the boundary. Contemplating wether to head NW per SPC Mesoanalysis to NW Iowa where convergence and 3000 CAPE is setting up...or head farther south. We're sitting tight right here for now. More later. Im really liking right where we're sitting right now.

Anyone in the area we are at the DAVES WORLD in Onawa. Good luck to all chasing.

Hey Jeff

Im sitting in Tekamah NE so im just to your south west. Yep were right on the line of convergence it almost seems like theres a little surface low forming right over me per latest METAR obs. I wouldn't go any more north Im going to sit it out here for a few then decide what i should do. I need to get back to my River crossings which are Duncan just to your west or Blair about 10 miles or so to my south. I like the winds here but the CAP needs to break further west soon. and the MD has to be moved further west that they sent out not to long ago. 3000 J/kg is pretty good ;)

so its cloudy here with a soupy dewpoint of around 76 and a temp of 90. ITs sunny east of me across the river.

hmm

New MD out spiked our attention for sure...and looking at VIS satellite and also at SPC Mesoanalysis really tempted to head NE...however...still have a gut feeling where we are right now is still a prime spot. The higher helicity NE is definately peaked my interest....

Atlantic has a nicely southerly Ob at 92 over 73 with a 15 knot wind I think thats the best i have yet seen in IA, for today

Scratch that surface low i thought was trying to form.

Jeff & Kurt

I’m stopped in Mo Valley to check data. I was heading to Storm Lake, but see the front has moved through there already. It’s 93 with light sse winds and starting to cloud up here I think I will go on up to Denison and check again. Kurt your best crossings are Blair or Decatur. Good luck

Watching and waiting

Im sitting here right now at the Hawkeye Community College library, in air conditioning, under an MD with a temp of 93F, a dewpoint of 69F, and a southerly breeze of around 15 mph. I'm watching and waiting right now and may head a little bit west if I need to, have an excellent road system to work with and plenty of gas so there are no worries here! :D

You can now see cu in nw IA just se of Sioux City. I could see that going fairly soon. I could also see something still between Grand Island and Columbus. Best bet at this time I think is keep watching and sit along the river at a crossing.

Decatur is what i meant LOL. I dont have a map infront of me. Any way i see a CU field developing just east or right on top of Onawa. What can you see Jeff and Jayson?

On SAT it looks like ill be getting more sun here in a few minutes as the upper cloud deck thins out. I might just head back down to Blair. Hey Mike where as a good wifi spot to sit at?

Staying right around the river valley may be a good thing - Mike H. is probably in a decent spot around Blair/Mo Valley actually ... Cu has started to tighten just a bit running in a SW to NE oriented line from around Columbus to Sioux City.

An MD has been issued for most of central Iowa, focusing on the boundary that currently intersects the state lines in between Sioux City and Missouri Valley.

I slept too late and don't know if I can get up there in time now. Maybe I can if I left right now -

Kurt,

Jeff just took a look and it does look like we may have a small CU field beginning to develop, but we are battling the haze to get a good look. We are going to sit tight for a while still at Daves' World..

The super 8 south on 75 in Blair has it. If you go east on 30 towards the river before you go out of town a place in the plaza called Jakes has it...se corner. Also on mainstreet in town(30) the cafe expresso place on the south side of the street has wifi.

Back