06/07/05 TALK: N Plains

• Thread starter Douglas Mitchell
  • Start date
Got a call from Charles Edwards with Cloud 9 Tours. Charles and number of other chasers saw a nice tornado from an LP near Cactus Flat, SD in the Badlands about 30 minutes ago. Charles says the storm is now developing a precipitation shaft.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Doug Mitchell and Andy Ashley relayed a report to me that the northern most storm on the Minnesota/Wisconsin line had decent rotation with it but went outflow dominant and they broke off. Looks like things are really starting to get going in South Dakota though.

6/7

Absolutely gorgeous LP supercell SE of Rapid City, SD. The 3.5 degree tilt reflectivity shows a nice radar hole on top of the updraft. That thing could be this year's golden storm for cyclic tornadogenesis as it continues to cruise along the warm front with easterly flow into better moisture. What I would give to be on that storm...goodness.

Wow... I check the radar again half an hour later and the storm Northeast of Rapid City STILL looks like a monster on radar. Big HP beast now. Look at the size of the gate-to-gate on that thing! I don't think I've ever actually seen the base velocity peg at -70 kts before... it's not even displaying as green anymore at DuPage, it's light blue. :D I know it's crap chase country, but I hope someone got out there to get pics of that thing. Looks like long-track tornado material to me.

Definately a play-in-the-hail storm, too:

BASEBALL SIZED HAIL WAS REPORTED 10 MILES NORTHEAST OF MARCUS AT 515 PM MDT.

$$
SCHILD

Originally posted by Bill Hark
Got a call from Charles Edwards with Cloud 9 Tours. Charles and number of other chasers saw a nice tornado from an LP near Cactus Flat, SD in the Badlands about 30 minutes ago. Charles says the storm is now developing a precipitation shaft.

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

I talked to Simon brewer at 5:50pm, and he was watching a large cone tornado from that same LP near the same location, somewhere just northeast of Potato Creek. He compared the tornado/storm overall to the photo of the LP and tornado taken by Bluestein back in the day.

That wonderful classic coring the interstate ~60 miles east of Rapid City looks quite awesome on radar. Anyone out chasing that thing? :)

Originally posted by Ryan McGinnis
That wonderful classic coring the interstate ~60 miles east of Rapid City looks quite awesome on radar. Anyone out chasing that thing? :)

Been stuck home with kids and it looks like a good one on radar near Belvidere S.D. should be in Amos viewing sights any minute . Be Safe and careful.

Gorgeous

Incredible LP with a nice cone tornado underneath!!!!!

Had a friend with me who, along with many, has had very bad luck this year, but today was his birthday and he saw his first tornado, "happy birthday Shawn!".

The structure was the show of the day, and the tornado was just a plus. The storm had major problems with outlflow after the first torando, and it eventually got swallowed by the mcs from behind.

Simon
www.stormgasm.com

Yeah the potato creek storm was really pretty. I talked it into surviving. You all can thank me for the begging going on on some back road west of Mission a ways. It was really a pretty cool/amazing time watching the storm evolve from crap to a beautiful LP with not a soul around(I saw ONE guy take this road during the near hour I was on the hill...oh and what a landscape for the thing!). I set up the cam ontop of my car and shot about 1 hour of time lapse video of the whole structure. I think it was about 20-30 minutes into the timelapse that it put down the small cone/rope. Left that area and shot more images nne of it south of Kadoka when it finally got a real core. I plan to be ne of every sigle storm from here on out as the view always seems the most amazing in that location....even if you have to mess with hail/precip. From there tracked it just south of the interstate on the frontage road. The line caught up with it at Murdo(I think that is the name) and it quickly got a very mean shelf(which I should have stayed ahead of for a while but didn't). Let the shelf and winds overtake me at that town then dropped south to Valentine for the night.

Back