06/03/05 TALK: Plains

Tony Laubach wrote:

I have seen cold air funnels, but never in a special weather statement for them... didn't think much of them before except to make a public annoyance!

Interesting...the counties mentioned in the statement appeared to have ongoing convection, albeit light. I have never heard of cold air funnels mentioned by meteorologists to the public except in the context of otherwise stable, non-convective environment. Clearly, upper-level vort max over that area has something to do with the situation - and surface temps are depressed to ~65t, but to use that terminology this time of year, in some proximity to a watch box, and mention possibility of touchdown is strange indeed. Guess it's a mini-case study once again reminding us of how much we don't know about these things.

I just got off the phone with Jeff Piotrowski who saw, along with Dave Hoadley, a brief white cone tornado and two smaller needle tornadoes in the Perryton Texas vicinity, SE of Guymon. He states they got "good video."

Bill Hark
http://www.harkphoto.com

Possibly surface based storm developing in central Caddo county at this time. It has rapidly intensified in the last three volume scans, and it does look there is some shear associated with it in the upper tilts.

Personally, I'm going to avoid the greener grass syndrome by sticking around town and see what this one does. Right now, it is located in the best 0-3 km shear (per the latest Purcell wind profile).

Gabe

Sitting in Lawton right now, the Caddo county cell looks to be a little fibrous but this is the best convection I have seen so far along this boundary. Gonna stick around and see what happens.

Originally posted by Tony Laubach+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tony Laubach)</div>
Wind shear near the foothills as the storms move out of the mountains may induce some rotation that may prompt tornado warnings over the Urban Corridor (not neccessarily tornadoes, mind you).[/b]

<!--QuoteBegin-NWS Denver

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
TORNADO WARNING
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE DENVER CO
436 PM MDT FRI JUN 3 2005

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN DENVER HAS ISSUED A

* TORNADO WARNING FOR...
WESTERN ARAPAHOE COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO
CENTRAL DENVER COUNTY IN NORTHEAST COLORADO
THIS INCLUDES THE CITY OF EASTERN DENVER

Hehehe.. told ya... major turbulance in the clouds, high based stuff and would highly doubt it drop tornadoes, but definately a mess of motion in the clouds. Hail less than 1 inch and torrential rains caking the roads. Hail is accumulating on the roads as well. Major mess in Denver right now, but NO TORNADO yet as I can see the trouble part of the storm.

I was driving northeast along State Road 54 (repositioning for tomorrow) this afternoon when a small storm fired behind me in southern Meade County about 22z. I was aware of the earlier tornado reports and the vortmax overhead and decided to follow this thing for a while.

I flanked it to the east and observed a sustained wallcloud from about 2215z to 23z. At one point, I was convinced the wallcloud would touch down as it was low and the rotation quite pronounced. I do not believe that it did, however.

Frankly, it was one of the best wallclouds I've seen in 2005, on a storm which on the Baron's composite (which isn't saying much of course) looked like a small shower, albeit with a 55dbz core.

I was unable to call DDC since I didn't have a cell signal, and now the storm has dissipated. I'll send them pics later tonight or tomorrow.

I got a report from Darin Brunin and Douglas Mitchell of a tornado on the ground near hardy, OK around 20 mins ago. Large wall cloud visible.

Back