05/21/05: TALK: KS/NE/IA

I'm (along with Shane Adams and Kurt Hulst) at the Best Western in Nebraska City, NE. As of the current data, we probably won't have to move far from where we are... And by the current looks, I think today will have tornadoes...

Looking at satellite, there appears to be two areas of interest: NNE of Norfolk, and ESE of Columbus. The Cu near Norfolk has a little better vertical development, probably owing to a weaker cap. Initition might occur up there first, but I think the southern area of interest could pay higher dividends in the long run.

I notice Cu is finally starting to develop along the cold front in N KS...our upper level support may be arriving.

The cap is still winning for the time being, though.

I starting to see a top in York county in the 30 – 35 k range. Currently sitting Fremont, looking at the line n of Norfork, or maybe sw to Buttler County

latest satelite image shows what appears to be a line of towering cu developing in the cloud deck west of Lincoln. We'll be staging in fremont. Show looks to be about to begin:)

the shower

A small shower sprang up to 25 dBz... it appears to be diminishing as soon as it appeared...movement was due east....

Several showers popped up north of fairbury, NE. They have sustained themselves for several scans!! Movement: east

EDIT: I would imagine to see a watch box in the next few minutes

status

For the earliest convection appering now, certainly looks like the chasers who positioned near Nebraska City made an excellent target. The new convection will be well matured and likely very severe between current location and Nebraska City, and moving due east is excellent positioning... Certain however for more convection as the evening goes on for those farther north.

Just got to the Chick Fil-A in Sioux City. Got my car repainted with bug guts 3 miles north of Elk Point, SD. Thinking about going southwest from here. Bunch of small stuff overhead right now, nothing much to speak of yet.

TORNADO WATCH

TORNADO WATCH 311 JUST ISSUED

CHeck SPC/Weather.cod for further information

EDIT: SOURCE: Omaha NWS Forecast page. Not on SPC as yet

Back