05/21/05: TALK: KS/NE/IA

Near 90º veer now between sfc wind obs at OFK and OLU in E Nebraska. SE flow at OFK and sw flow at OLU. Such a wind shift line oriented ahead of developing cu and strong backed flow over E Nebraska could warrant a chase target slightly east of OFK maybe slightly northeast.

...Alex Lamers...

WW 310 SEVERE TSTM MN 212015Z - 220200Z
HAIL SURFACE AND ALOFT..1.5 INCHES. WIND GUSTS..60 KNOTS.

New SPC ww is a blue box for N MN. Looks like a rather strong squall line already evolving. With strong jet streak approaching...looks like dmg winds will be the primary threat.

...Alex Lamers...

I think the place to be is the Columbus to York NE. A lot of convergence(soon to be chaser also), Cu thickening up and CAPE approaching 3000 J/Kg and CIN rapidly weakening. Supercell composite parameter going crazy over this area!!

Jet streak or piece of energy rounding the base of the low near Wyoming depicted on water vapor loop. I expect initiation to occur in 2 1/2 to 3 hours.

534 miles later, Jon Van de Grift and myself have joined friends at the Country Kitchen in Norfolk, Nebraska; enjoying some time on our asses NOT in motion! CU field going up nicely around us... hoping the day continues to improve!

Sitting in a Conoco in Onawa. Big caravan of chasers just arrived. Anyone part of this? Think im going to wait here a while.

-Scott.

We're sitting at a mcdonalds in Lincoln. We've gone about 300 miles so far from Wichita. I was about to not even chase today. Glad I changed my mind. I can see scattered cu to the north and nw of me.

I'm still in Omaha. I wasn't all that excited about today initially, but things are looking better. With initiation likely 2-3 hours away, I'm in no hurry to hit the road. That, and it'd be best advised to hang a bit east today, what with veered surface winds directly ahead of the cold front. With surface temps in the low to mid 90s, the cap should go there first, but I suspect any storm won't get its act together until it hits the better low-level flow to the east.

I might meander out toward Wahoo eventually. Perhaps Fremont.

Heading north out of Lincoln toward wahoo or freemont. One question, what brand of supercell appears most likely today, classic or HP?

Precipitable water values = not that high, with SPC showing a 1.4 bullseye in the area around & slightly west of Lincoln. Upper wind speeds are not too fast, so if one or two storms can monopolize (or duopolize) moisture, you *might* see an HP. Given the ugly LFC & LCL indicated by model, a theoretical storm will hafta trend HPish to drop a tornado. Highbased LPish seems more likely today, tho, so hope for structure.

West Point wireless

For those of you on or near rt 275 between fremont and Norfolk.

There is an open WiFi point in the town of West Point across the road from Dairy Queen In front of the Kuzelka-Minnick funeral home.

Looking at the satellite and trying to decide. I am thinking of staying put.
It feels good right here.

Back