03/30/06 NOW: NE, KS, OK, TX

Several impressive isolated supercells are erupting ahead of the dryline in southern KS. One is currently tornado warned (doppler indicated) in eastern Chautauqua County and western Montgomery County , about twenty miles northwest of Coffeyville near Havana. That cell has quite an impressive radar signature with a 65 dbz core and an emerging hook. Another has sprung up northwest of Arkansas City. With that storm a little blob of convection is apparent forming up just southwest of the main cell, which makes me suspicious that it may go tornadic shortly. These two cells need to be monitored carefully, as they are in a favorable environment for tornadic production. They look much better on radar than the two southern OK cells at the time being, so I hope someone is out chasing these two beauties and catching the tornadoes they may be dropping.

EDIT: At 4:16 p.m. local law enforcement reported a tornado on the ground a half mile north of Bolton, near Independence, KS, moving northeast at 40 mph. It's headed right for a little town called Sycamore :eek: Could get real ugly real soon down that way. :blink: The hook is tightening up and becoming more defined, which leads me to believe the tornado is strengthening as it roars towards Sycamore. I hope everybody has taken shelter.
[/b]

It would appear per GR2 that the couplet moved 1/2 mile west of town if the town placement is correct. Couplet is still strong and is moving just SE of Neodesha ATM.

Storm just NW of Burden in Cowley county is still showing >1" size hail. Other convection is beginning to form SW of this cell... worth watching to see if it lines out over the next 20min or so...

or not... Tornado warning now for Cowley county.

TVS on this storm now, with the strength and size of the low level
shear at .5 velocity I expect this strom will go Tor Warned again real
soon. Really surprised it isn't now, but I guess the lines with spotters
is are well open.

EDIT: Rain wrapped tornado is on the ground according to Ada area spotter. Debris falling from the sky. NO TORNADO WARNING IN EFFECT despite major G2G shear and persistent TVS's.

TOR WARNED STORM DROPPED A TORNDOE IN THE CITY OF OKLAHOMA IN NEBRASKA! THE TORNADIC STORM HAS NOW MOVED INTO IOWA WITH A BOW ECHO THAT IS PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE STRAIT LINE WINDS IN ESSESS OF 70 MPH AND LARGE (POSSIBLE DESTRUCTIVE) HAIL TO NICKLE SIZE! The name of this thread should be changed to include Iowa and Missouri.

KANSAS and NEBRASKA saw the main show today and yet everyone still going on about OKLAHOMA need to see some more discusion on the north states as that is where the worst of the weather is according to DR GREG FORBES.

REPEAT: TORNADOE TOUCHED DOWN IN THE CITY OF OMAHA!

Philip Flory said:
It would appear per GR2 that the couplet moved 1/2 mile west of town if the town placement is correct.[/b]
A close shave for them, I'd imagine.
I can't believe that OUN DOES NOT HAVE A TORNADO WARNING ON THE ADA SUPERCELL! :angry:
Haltschule said:
Rain wrapped tornado is on the ground according to Ada area spotter. Debris falling from the sky.
And now there's a rain wrapped tornado about to, if it continues its current path, smash right through Ada. If somebody gets hurt/killed by this tornado, there could be some very serious liability issues. :blink:

TOR WARNED STORM DROPPED A TORNDOE IN THE CITY OF OKLAHOMA IN NEBRASKA! THE TORNADIC STORM HAS NOW MOVED INTO IOWA WITH A BOW ECHO THAT IS PRODUCING DESTRUCTIVE STRAIT LINE WINDS IN ESSESS OF 70 MPH AND LARGE (POSSIBLE DESTRUCTIVE) HAIL TO NICKLE SIZE! The name of this thread should be changed to include Iowa and Missouri.

KANSAS and NEBRASKA saw the main show today and yet everyone still going on about OKLAHOMA need to see some more discusion on the north states as that is where the worst of the weather is according to DR GREG FORBES.

[/b]

Dude, don't post stuff like this in the NOW thread. This isn't an opinion thread..this is to discuss ongoing severe weather..that is often checked by chasers on the road...

OUN says the Pontococ Co storm has limited TOR threat because it's running over cold pool from earlier storms therefore elevated. Rotation doesn't appear as strong these last few scans.

- rd

PS PLEASE tell us what storm you are referring to, a few posts are saying "TVS on this cell" but no reference to what cell.

[/b]

Calm down! :) I actually chased today in Nebraska and trust me, it wasn't much to write home about, if you're a tornado fan. The embedded supercell in Omaha may have produced a tornado, but that's about it. I'm even a bit suspicious of the cooperative observer report out of OMA that claimed a tornado -- I saw the same squall that went through OMA, and when it came through LNK I can say that if you didn't know the difference between a tornado and a giant, wildly moving rain foot sweeping in at 70mph, you might get one confused with the other.

OUN says the Pontococ Co storm has limited TOR threat because it's running over cold pool from earlier storms therefore elevated. Rotation doesn't appear as strong these last few scans.
[/b]

I don't know if I would call that storm elevated...when I originally posted the WDU update about 45 min ago, the storm was still orgainizing. The base has been pretty low the entire time, but has been wrapped in rain for quite some time. No doubt though, the storm is trending down a bit on radar...

The storm near Ada continues to look impressive on the radar. Still persistent rotation with hook apendage. Enjoy the show.

[/b]

Calm down. The most "chaseable" storms today have been in OK which is probably why the focus is there. Please spell "tornado" properly.

I am sorry it just seems like every bad weather outbreak all of the talk is always on oklahoma and texas and you have a good point there was/are some good chaseable storms down there. I was just excited that this was coming my way and then dissapointed none was even talking about the tornadoe in omaha besides mike.
In Iowa Hurricane force winds over 80 mph was reported in this very destructive very dangerouse line of severe storms moving into central Iowa. I am so happy! My spelling is crappy and I am not the smartest person on the block so I dont always think before I post these things please forgive me. I am 21 years old and know alot about weather but I am still learning alot so I apologize and if you guys feel like I do not fit in simply remove my account from the forums I will understand and not hold it against anyone.

Supercell in northern Wilson County Kansas has really gotten it's act together. 110kt gate to gate on GRLevel now showing up. Storm is heading towards Buffalo and Iola, Kansas. Large Hail reported in Coyville, Kansas in northern Wilson County Kansas. Hope someone's on this storm.

Although the hour is drawing late, the environment around that storm between Yates Center and Fredonia, KS still appears very supportive....persistent but weak rotation indicated for some time now, but w/ signs of some backbuilding right along the dry line, this formation could yet produce. Hopefully, some of our chasers are watching this one.

Back