Your best ORIGINAL weather shots. Edited shots not welcome!

There are some threads on here for different photos such as best tornado pic, craziest weather shot, etc..., when these threads come up of course we all post our finalized shots after we edit them to make them look the best they possibly could.

I thought it would be cool to see original images of our shots. By this I mean ZERO editing being done. No touch up, clean up, color enhancement, raw real deal, straight off your camera, all BS out the window shots.

Anything goes in this thread as long as its weather related. Lightning, tornadoes, clouds, etc... post 1, 2 or however many pics you want. Its a good way to pass the time, sharing and enjoy seeing other peoples work.

I can tell you that both the best tornado pic thread & the best/craziest weather picture thread have me in awe with some of your shots. Freakin awesome work by a LOT of members here!

Anyways... lets see who really knows how to use their camera(s) and have the least editing to do.

20100605_10.JPG

June 5, 2010 - Federal Heights, CO

20090321_53.JPG

March 21, 2009 - Akron, Colorado

These are not my best originals, but I did post them in the other threads so I thought it would be appropriate to show the raw, unedited versions here. All I did was convert from NEF to JPEG, no adjustments. You can still see the dust on my sensor in these.

Great idea by the way.

-Ben

Attachments

• DSC_9076.jpg
    DSC_9076.jpg
    9 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC_2289.jpg
    DSC_2289.jpg
    15.9 KB · Views: 50
Anyways... lets see who really knows how to use their camera(s) and have the least editing to do.

If you're shooting digital, your camera is already doing some editing for you, especially if you are in auto modes. Even if you go full manual, you are still selecting settings that cause your image to be processed in different ways. So to say the images haven't been edited really is a misnomer. So you didn't tweak the image in Photoshop, your camera is already a little computer that tweaked it for you.

If you're shooting digital, your camera is already doing some editing for you, especially if you are in auto modes. Even if you go full manual, you are still selecting settings that cause your image to be processed in different ways. So to say the images haven't been edited really is a misnomer. So you didn't tweak the image in Photoshop, your camera is already a little computer that tweaked it for you.

For long exposures (lightning) most DSLR cameras also do dark field subtraction.

Edit: like the idea of showing unedited photos... but a photo never looks completely true to the eye (considering filter bandpass, etc.).

Last edited by a moderator:
I dont edit any of my pictures. Of the pictures I've got uploaded to photobucket from this year (only a couple) this is the best one

IMG_2703.jpg

Here's an image I shot last year on June 5 that I think is one of my better ones. The first one is without any color correction or contrast enhancements, and the second one has some slight color correction, tweaked contrast curves and local contrast enhancement:

090605stu01.jpg

090605stu02.jpg

The thread was simply made for fun and to enjoy peoples work and nature.

I do also have in the first post "straight off your camera". :D

I'm sorry, my previous post can be disregarded then, because I had to convert from RAW to JPEG ;) I'm not sure there is a way to display "straight out of the camera" RAW images for web.

Don't expect to see any serious photogs to post here either, cause most do shoot in RAW.

OK... How about this?

Severe thunderstorm in Montague, TX. Captured using a Nikon F (1962) 35mm camera. 100 speed Velvia slide film. :D

Attachments

• slide.jpg
    slide.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 48
Yikes. Then disregard my post as well. I shoot RAW but there is no way (that I know of) to post directly from the camera without converting to JPG. I understood the thread to mean that you did NO editing in PS.

Not to get into a whole discussion, but at the very least you need to sharpen RAW images (I didn't sharpen the images posted here). Your DSLR does not apply sharpening to RAW. But I do understand that if you shoot JPG, the camera does apply some sharpening.

I use film and choose not to edit. That's why it has taken so dang long to get these :)

7 years then finally!
StromLightningMoon.jpg

5 years to get
LLAmericanFlag.jpg

Tried for this multiple times too
StromGoldStrike.jpg

this was a one-time thing
StromCompetitors.jpg

Red tint is real during sand/dust events
StromDarkBeauty.jpg

StromSandstormAZ.jpg

weird but real
StromHotDates2.jpg

natural desert colors
StromFourPeaks.jpg

Fun thread! I like "not" editing, just a personal choice.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don't know if it's my favorite, but I did enjoy the view out of the window...
window.jpg

I think you can see where my avatar came from...

Back