Your Best Lightning Shot to date...

Not to be a debbie downer but the thread title is best lightning shot to date, it seems like a majority of people's pictures are from 2010 only... like a few have their 4 best pictures all from 2010. I Just would like to see their "career trophy pics" I think this is what the thread was aiming for but thats just from looking at the title. So I am left to assuming a good amount of the posters have only shot lightning in 2010.

These are my best ever, actually.

4825788116_3284dfacdd_b.jpg

4825788246_a818163b63_b.jpg

4825788606_63b53a495f_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Not to be a debbie downer but the thread title is best lightning shot to date, it seems like a majority of people's pictures are from 2010 only... like a few have their 4 best pictures all from 2010. I Just would like to see their "career trophy pics" I think this is what the thread was aiming for but thats just from looking at the title. So I am left to assuming a good amount of the posters have only shot lightning in 2010.

Mods: May need a change to the title since "Debbie Downer" is having issues with it! :D

While yes, I originally named it best lightning shot to date, people are proud of those shots that don't come by to often, and they would like to share them. I for one posted a couple more shots of mine that I was reminded of, after looking at some of the other great lightning shots from other members. And just to clear things up a bit....

3845698253_4048db74b5_o.jpg

3795719352_56caf569c7_o.jpg

3752626308_f6a290e4aa_o.jpg

All of these photos of mine, with exception to the image I posted last night, were shot last year....Not this year. :D

EDIT: Was thinking that maybe just a title of "Lightning Photography" would be a better fit, for this thread.

I've never really tried to shoot lightning until this year aside from trying to catch it reflexively.

So, my two best shots ever are also from this year (the last week matter of fact) They're tied for first because they each have their own qualities. I like the first one because of the illuminated structure of the supercell and the second because it was close, I think that was only an 8 second exposure.

IMG_1811-1024x680.jpg

IMG_1810-1024x680.jpg

Both are from July 22, 2010 just east of Fennville, MI. One of the most intense CG storms I've ever seen.

Here's a couple I got on June 12 this year in the Texas panhandle. I haven't tried to shoot much lightning, but there was just a barrage of CG's coming out of this HP supercell so I took my chances with the lightning and and used a big metal fence post as a tripod:

100612lightning01.jpg

100612lightning02.jpg

Just so you know, I have saved most of them for desktop backgrounds :D

I sure hope you have asked permission before taking those photos for your "Personal" use! I know I didn't post my shots, just to have someone else take them...Some people would call that being a thief...:eek:

Just my two cents...

Just so you know, I have saved most of them for desktop backgrounds :D

That will be 299.95

In all seriousness, it's very wise to ask permission first. Saying that you are using someone's work without asking is not too smart. Also, it's the wise thing to do purely out of respect.

I sure hope those last 3 posts were all jokes....

Last time I checked he was just using the photo for a background on his desktop, not going behind your back and selling them. I have now taken all the photos above and made a montage with photoshop...they are ALL on my desktop right now.

I sure hope those last 3 posts were all jokes....

Last time I checked he was just using the photo for a background on his desktop, not going behind your back and selling them. I have now taken all the photos above and made a montage with photoshop...they are ALL on my desktop right now.

Last time I checked, a little respect goes a long way. And hey, if telling us that you made a "Montage" makes you feel better....then by all means, go for it.

Last time I checked, a little respect goes a long way. And hey, if telling us that you made a "Montage" makes you feel better....then by all means, go for it.

Last time I checked, he told you all that he was using them on the thread. How many people do you think come onto this forum...take your photos and don't even say thanks and compliment you on the good shots?

Fwiw...I didn't actually make the montage, but I do like using the word 'montage' whenever I get the chance.

To keep this thread in line....I would like to say that a lot of these lightning shots are really, really good. In the limited I have been trying to get lightnings shots, not many have turned out as well as all of these. Good work!

My apologies, I will not use them :)

Shawn feel free to use mine, no need for 299.95. I would have been tickled to know you put my picture on your desktop, jesus its not like your profiting from them, its a desktop? Well maybe I wouldn't be upset because Im not really good at this photography thing and my pictures aren't as quality as the ones making a stink about it. In all seriousness, a desktop... Id take it in the upmost respect thinking as you look at my pictures in inspiration. Copyright is copyright but a desktop why jump on someone. :confused:

This is my first post on Stormtrack. I chase in North Carolina and here is a lightning shot I captured this year that I would rate among my best so far:

wendell-light2a.jpg

This was in Wendell, NC on 7-20-2010.

Not my best ever, but my best Year-to-date:
IMG_18724web.jpg

Kinda sad, I know, but hey...for not being able to travel to Florida (for storm reasons) or the plains this year, I'm happy with it.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back