Where to buy a decent power inverter in person

Tim Moxon

EF0
Hi all. We are embarking on our fifth chase year and our sixth power inverter has just died. I've spent many hours trying to research this, not least on Stormtrack which seems to provide some of the best information anywhere online on the topic.

From what we can gather from here and reviews elsewhere the "least-worst" option is a Cobra. Unfortunately we're visiting from the UK so we don't have the luxury of being able to order online (thanks to the necessary evil of fraud protection we can't get things shipped to motels anymore!) so we tend to pick such items up from the likes of Walmart, but our research has established that they have no models whatsoever that are worth buying.

Can anyone recommend where you can get hold of a decent inverter in person? We are, within reason, less bothered about cost than quality - especially as some of the death throws of the inverters can put expensive laptop chargers etc at risk.

Any tips greatfully received.

Many thanks, Tim

Not what you're specifically asking about, but there are DC-DC device specific adapters. At this point, sounds like you'd be money ahead after the number of failed inverters... batteries plus bulbs may(?) carry them...

Not what you're specifically asking about, but there are DC-DC device specific adapters. At this point, sounds like you'd be money ahead after the number of failed inverters... batteries plus bulbs may(?) carry them...

Exactly. Why convert from 12v DC to 110v AC only to convert back to 19v (for my laptop, anyway) DC? I don't think the 12v DC to 19v DC adapter that I bought, specifically made for my laptop, cost any more than a decent inverter. Granted, you may have some other need for an inverter...

Yeah, I just bought a DC-DC converter last week. I didn't know how safe these are or if they are less interference than a 12v-120v DC-AC converter. I suspose the worst damage you could do is over/undervolt the laptops power system?

Thank you once again folks, all really useful stuff. Getting a laptop charger that would go direct to one of the outlets seems like a good plan. I would still want an inverter as a get-out-of-jail card for that time when you have to change laptops or get something else plugged in - or indeed if one of the power outlets blows out (as happened one year) and you need to power everything off one. However yes, thanks again for the ideas, I'll certainly be pursuing them!

Best, Tim

If you run into a pinch after the Lowes/Home Depot stores are closed, Find a 24 hr Wal-Mart supercenter with a tire/auto service section. Mine pooped out late one night and I had to cross my fingers that they would have it. I looked in the normal Auto and RV aisles before I thought to check the shelves next the auto service desk by the tires.

Oops, sorry, I missed the "not Wal Mart" part. My last one made it 6 years, so I guess I was lucky.

Last edited by a moderator:
What about Amazon Locker? Not sure how that works exactly. I know they are pick-up locations of some sort. If not that, then as others have suggested, Almost every big truck plaza carries them. Then in the OKC area you have Lowes, Home Depot, Tractor Supply, Harbor Freight.. And if you so happen to be driving through Bentonville, AR at some point, that is where Whistler is located. Im sure they have a outlet store lol.

Walmart seems to carry a larger variety of inverters available on-line than they carry in their stores, deliverable "Site-to-Store" (where you can arrange to pick up at a store you designate).

Personally I've found it most workable and uncomplicated to just get small (~10A) inverters that are internally current and voltage limited, without annoying buzzers and the tendency to blow accessory socket fuses. They do fail now and then, but not AFAIK in ways that damage equipment. The unfavorable reviews on consumer sites seldom/never report this either. Not to say it can't/doesn't happen, but a high-end inverter may not be better in that regard.

Two branded inverters I've had good luck with and widely reviewed on Amazon, etc., are the "Energizer 120W cup inverter" and the "Duracell 100W pocket inverter". As others say, I run a computer -- the big draw item -- with a DC-DC converter block that stays in the vehicle. Get a few inexpensive power socket strips to plug stuff into and have one with a decent length cord to bring into the motel at night. I also have a "Kill-a-Watt" meter I use to see what stuff is drawing and to monitor voltages.

Thanks once again for the input all. I stopped in at a Lowe's and got hold of a Cobra, which so far is working out well. It was really useful to get your input though as often we're limited to what we can find online and the likes of truck stops don't have good websites! We'll definitely be sorting some DC-DC adapters for next year.

Thanks, Tim

RV stores like Camping World sell very nice inverters. If you find it too complicated to install they can install it for you for a fee.

Hope that helps,

Don

This is the brand a lot of us in the trucking industry use.

My company does not allow me to have a hard wired power inverter in my rig, so i just use my cobra cpi-480 12V power inverter to get me by.

http://www.tundrainternational.com/en/

Tundra has truck grade and car grade power inverters and they are worth every dime.

Just fyi...the one's sold at Love's, Petro, T/A, Pilot, Exxon and Flying J truck stops are plain junk. Dont waste your money on them.

you might try browsing

http://www.thetruckersreport.com/truckingindustryforum/

in the Truckers Toys/Eldctronics forum for more info on power inverters. Those boys know their stuff.

Back