Welcome cold front

Front came through here about 20 minutes ago. It was slow-moving. We were at 87oF when it arrived, and now we're in the 70's and plummeting. Winds are gusting into the 20mph range and will only get stronger.

Chalk me up in the winter weather freak camp - I love it. Anything to get rid of mosquitoes, air that smells rancid from humidity, stinking trash, sweating, paying $$$ for gas every week because you need to run the A/C compressor in October, and all that stuff. I'm Scottish. I need it in the 60's or I die without A/C.

Winter is fast becoming my tied-favourite season, along with May.

KR

The front just passed here in eastern Iowa. We went from 85-63 in 20 minutes or so and lows are expected to hit the upper 30's tonight. I know this is nothing compared to the snow they're getting in ND, but I'm not ready for the cold yet. Winters here suck as we usually have more negative windchill days than fun snowstorms. Counting the days until late March/early April.

The cold, dry weather of late fall/early winter in New England (before the big snows come) is the stuff I don't like; just the thoght of it being sunny and highs in the upper 30s and low 40s for a week makes me want to barf.

Yep, I agree on that one. One thing that always makes me real mad is when a massive winter storm slides just to the northwest, leaving us with 35F temps and a steady moderate rain, while 50 miles to the northwest receives a blizzard.

What I DO like about November is the monster low pressure systems that often develop near Lake Superior, sometimes bombing out in the upper 960's. We typically get 60-70MPH winds from such storms.

I'm seriously thinking of staying the winter in our cabin up north, right in one of the Great Lakes worst snowbelts - the Houghton area. Annual snowfall is around 250 inches with plenty of thundersnow and 4" per hour rates... Of course, that would give you the "kid in a candy store" type feeling, but you'd eventually get fat/sick of it.

Taking a look at the models, it does look like warm-ish >60F temperatures should advect back into the Great Lakes after this weekend, through the next couple weeks... In fact, DTX and GRR both have upper 60s for high temps by late next week.

Today was a very georgous day around Detroit... This shall be ruined by FRI with the passing of the cold front. Though, thankfully only for a few days :eek:

One more time all, "winter sucks!" :lol:

You can see the front on radar:

front9tj.png

I second that because I live in the Arizona desert. Oct-March, that is the time of mild temps. Even now though this is the last bit of the 90s, it still feels hot in the desert valleys.

However I just came back from wilderness of eastern Arizona (Indian tribal photo assignment in a ponderosa forest). It was cold enough to see my breath each day at dawn and I piled a heap of blankets in my tent, it was very chilly overnight. I forgot what it felt like to wear a duster and snow mocassins, how refreshing. The elk were bugling in the mornings too so it really felt like fall. Now I'm back in the desert and am waiting for the beautiful Arizona winter. Anytime would be nice. If it is going to be hot, why not have it be July when the monsoon is going. If there is no lightning, they can take the heat away :)

it was such a glorious thing, the temp dropped 20 degrees in 2 hours between 1 and 3 am last night in Chicago

it has been in the low 50s ever since, such a great feeling after upper 80s and 65-70 dewpoints earlier this week

Front came through here about 20 minutes ago. It was slow-moving. We were at 87oF when it arrived, and now we're in the 70's and plummeting. Winds are gusting into the 20mph range and will only get stronger.

Chalk me up in the winter weather freak camp - I love it. Anything to get rid of mosquitoes, air that smells rancid from humidity, stinking trash, sweating, paying $$$ for gas every week because you need to run the A/C compressor in October, and all that stuff. I'm Scottish. I need it in the 60's or I die without A/C.

KR

Hi Karen and Gene,

We all are Scottish when it comes to hating the warm and muggies! At least those of us from the cool north:)

Pat

I used to hate winter with a passion, gritting my teeth and holding on until April. Now I love winter just as much as any other season. There is a lot going on for your senses and for your cameras. Ice storms, slippery roads, snow devils, etc. Winter is going to happen anyway, might as well enjoy it. Besides, the sooner winter comes and goes, the sooner it will be chase season. So, I'll say to these monster cold fronts: 'Bring It On'!!

Back