Welcome cold front

Note that ThetaE values can be deceiving (not in this case).... extremely hot/dry air masses can have similar values as places with semi-warm/moist air masses.

Aaron

2xus_sf.gif

Originally posted by Aaron Kennedy
Note that ThetaE values can be deceiving (not in this case).... extremely hot/dry air masses can have similar values as places with semi-warm/moist air masses.

Aaron

Okay, Aaron what is ThetaE?

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Khan
I don't know if this cold front has made it here tonight, but temperatures right now are in the High 50's. Has the cold front made it here yet?

Yes, it has... This was a very strong cold front - and you'll know when it has passed. A cold front replaces an airmass with cold air (just as the name implies).

I woke up freezing LOL... Its in mid 50s here :roll:[/b]

Cold front slammed through here with that very narrow band of thunderstorms along the cold front. Had some really nice looking lightning - mostly green, with a few real orange strikes. You could hear the wind roaring well before it hit - When it finally did, we had a gust to easily 60MPH, with frequent gusts around 45MPH for the next several hours after. Power went out at 2:10AM, and just now returned...

Pretty interesting to say the least...

Originally posted by rdewey+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rdewey)</div>
Originally posted by nickgrillo@
<!--QuoteBegin-Andrew Khan

I don't know if this cold front has made it here tonight, but temperatures right now are in the High 50's. Has the cold front made it here yet?

Yes, it has... This was a very strong cold front - and you'll know when it has passed. A cold front replaces an airmass with cold air (just as the name implies).

I woke up freezing LOL... Its in mid 50s here :roll:

Cold front slammed through here with that very narrow band of thunderstorms along the cold front. Had some really nice looking lightning - mostly green, with a few real orange strikes. You could hear the wind roaring well before it hit - When it finally did, we had a gust to easily 60MPH, with frequent gusts around 45MPH for the next several hours after. Power went out at 2:10AM, and just now returned...

Pretty interesting to say the least...[/b]

:roll: :lol: And I was sleeping...

Originally posted by Tim Gonyo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Tim Gonyo)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo

Nick,

Am I reading that 180 hour outlook right? Its showing temperatures around 40 for Southern WI at 7:00 PM Thursday, October 6th!!![/b]

Yep, you sure are... I'm thinking the GFS could very well be underestimating the temperatures by a few degrees - but it still should be a very cold weekend in the Great Lakes :roll:

Originally posted by nickgrillo+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(nickgrillo)</div>
Originally posted by Tim Gonyo@
<!--QuoteBegin-nickgrillo

Nick,

Am I reading that 180 hour outlook right? Its showing temperatures around 40 for Southern WI at 7:00 PM Thursday, October 6th!!!

Yep, you sure are... I'm thinking the GFS could very well be underestimating the temperatures by a few degrees - but it still should be a very cold weekend in the Great Lakes :roll:[/b]

I am screaming with joy, and enjoying watching Nick get frustrated! :lol: :eek:

Thought I'd resurrect this thread with the approach of today's cold front for those in the OUN area who are dearly looking forward to yet another short-term break from our incessant, humid summer.

Norman is currently 77/67 - a heat index of 81. Our high yesterday was 90 - with high humidity making for a heat index well into the mid-90's. Miserable!

As of 10.30am, all of the Oklahoma Panhandle and part of extreme northwest Oklahoma have temps in the 50s and strong north/northeast winds gusting well over the 30mph value.

KVNX shows lines of showers and thunderstorms translating down the front, somewhat, with an almost solid line of reflectivity northwest of Enid to over the Kansas border.

Tomorrow's high for OUN is forecast to be no more than 61oF. I, for one, am hoping it comes true......and I wouldn't complain if it stayed like that for the next 4 months!

Others from the more northern states - I'd also love to hear your stories from this Canadian airmass! Anybody live in the Black Hills??? Spearfish?

KR

Hi everyone,

Cold fronts shear apart and disrupt tropical systems. I am not really in a "cold front" mood until after the hurricane season winds down in November.

Hi everyone,

Cold fronts shear apart and disrupt tropical systems. I am not really in a "cold front" mood until after the hurricane season winds down in November.

Hey Chris, you're not being greedy now are ya? You had a fair share of hurricanes this season :lol:

Reading through this thread, I can definitely see the majority of people dislike cold and snowstorms. I am definitely into winter weather, particularly big time snowstorms, blizzards, ice storms, you know - just the usual destructive stuff LOL. There's just something about the power going out, using a wood stove, the quietness of the outdoors during a big snowstorm, and thundersnow... But when April rolls around, it's time to warm back up again.

I LOVE the snow --especially, as Rob mentions above, the fun stuff like blizzards and thundersnow. The cold, dry weather of late fall/early winter in New England (before the big snows come) is the stuff I don't like; just the thoght of it being sunny and highs in the upper 30s and low 40s for a week makes me want to barf.

This front is not coming here soon enough! Geez...I shouldn't have worn a long-sleeve shirt today. It's killing me! Just to think, in a few short hours it will be in the upper 50s. Ahhh... :D

Gabe

Back