Vehicle Hail Protection essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
To keep the discussion on topic, here are my thoughts on the issues at hand.

Hail shields:
I considered building a simple windshield guard for my car - the wire-mesh design on a aluminum frame attached to the roof rack and extending horizontally forward over the windshield, so as to not obstruct the driving view (I think Dave Lewison's shield is like this). I did some research on replacement costs for my windshield, and it was around $250-$300. I figured I'd have that much in materials and time invested in building a shield to begin with, so I decided against it. I'll just pay for the new glass myself if it gets broken. Plus, there likely will be fuel efficiency/drag issues to boot.

As far as hail goes, I wanted to avoid hail like the plague this season because I just bought a brand new car. The last thing I wanted to do was trash it with gorilla hail. No storm or tornado is worth doing $5000 damage to my new car, let alone totalling it. I took chances on muddy roads, almost getting stuck and losing at least one tornado intercept (Hill City) due to my reluctance to core-punch. I know the risks. Sometimes you find yourself on the wrong side of the storm, it happens to all of us. We ended up taking our chances at Hill City and punching through, on a hair trigger to turn around if it got too bad. We got through OK, but a shield would have made me feel better about doing it. I did not do it for the thrill of getting into hail, it was either that or lose the rest of the day's tornadoes.

The ironic thing is, I got two big chips in June from rock impacts that will need to be fixed before the cracks spread, so my windshield was damaged this year anyway without hail being a factor! The rock impacts happened in non-chase situations.

Weather instrumentation:
I'm already paying off debt for my camera and chase gear as it is, so economics demands that I use prudence in spending money on more sophisticated instrumentation. I use my anemometer for estimation purposes. I've found its margin of error to be acceptable within reason for my application.

Insurance:
I agree that claims should not be filed for most storm-related damage, namely common chase-related damage (hail dents, etc). I think we should bear those costs ourselves. The occasional auto glass repair/replacement is *usually* not that expensive anyway, relatively speaking, when you consider the cost of making a claim (increased premiums over time, legal risks, etc.) Those type of claims, if they continue to be filed, I think will eventually backfire with implications to all chasers. Likewise this is a concern with chasers using rental cars and turning them in with damage under the guise of a full coverage policy. It's going to backfire one of these days and result in lawsuits, bad publicity, another Wichita Eagle article, etc.

If you do some searching, you can find pretty good deals for glass replacement. Jo found one company that will come to our place, and replace both the front/back windshields for $380.

I cannot wait till I have that money saved up, as chasing with no back glass is a bit unnerving with CGs crashing all around you, LOL.

Dear Mr. RJ Evans

I am so sorry that you are not feeling well and you seem to be so mad at someone or something. Sometimes it is not good to give people power over your thinking by what they do or say to you. I think that if you can look on the brighter side of your life, you will start feeling better. If I can help in someway, let me know.

As for core punching (coming from the north end of a supercell and driving south into the core to get to the updraft) IS NOT SAFE. I do not care who you are or who you think you are and it shows a lack of responsibility. You may not buy it this season but you will get what is coming to you. As for myself I have not ever felt the need for hail protection but if some else does, I would not judge them. O I have missed my share of storms but you know I will be here for the next chase.

Ken

Yeah, I don't know why RJ is so angry with the world. From my point of view he's got everything a chaser could want: a loyal wife who supports his chasing, enough money to live in a nice house and indulge in chase toys, and living in the heart of tornado alley. Hey, sign me up! :D

But anyway, back to the topic at hand...
For those of you interested, my retractable windshield guard came out to be about $110 in materials. It would be cheaper if it didn't fold back, but we wanted that feature. However, I estimate it saved us over $1500 in repairs to the windshield and wiper motor assembly, so definitely a good payoff. I'd be happy to give advice to anyone on how to build a similar one. And unlike RJ, I *am* a degreed engineer.

I would love to hear other's ideas for hail guard designs...especially for rear side windows. The side shields actually failed this year when hit by the big ones. (the wire mesh was too weak and flexed in, making contact with the glass and shattering one side window...they were designed for golfballs and a stray baseball or two...not this). Another drawback was that it felt like being in a cage when sitting in the back seat with all that wire mesh. It was difficult to shoot video out the rear windows too. Next year, I'm planning a 1/4" Lexan sheet mounted to a 1" PVC frame to space it away from the glass.

I don't care why you would build a hail guard. If you intend to core punch, fine. If you'd just feel safer knowing it's there, that's cool too. I've said my piece on that already...

Well if you read through it, everything starts to come full circle in my opinion.

I have fallen back twice since 1986. Both times were un-called-for emotional rants. Fortunately, through prayer, I was able to get ahold of the demon and shake it loose and now I'm sober, confident, and strong. I have Him, Christ. I'm not a church goer. I've prayed many times over that issue. I keep getting the same answer. 'Praise me and share your story in the world. Not in the church.' I do as I am led.

Dang demons... always causing mischief ;)

Aaron

McMaster-Carr is a great supply house, so is grainger.com (great source for little hinges and locking clasps). But watch those freight charges. Sometimes the only available sheet size is 4ft by 4ft or larger. I've had good luck going to local metal & industrial supply shops....that's where I picked up the aluminum square tubing for my guard. You can have it cut there for a nominal charge, and you only end up buying what you need. Plus, no excessive freight charge.

If you're lucky, the shop will have a scrap area where you can root around and find things you may be able to use too. They'll usually give steep discounts on this stuff since it was probably going to be thrown out anyway.

If you're not sure where to find a shop, try asking an auto mechanic. Sometimes these guys do a lot of machining/fab work on their own time and know where to get good materials.

McMaster-Carr is a great supply house, so is grainger.com (great source for little hinges and locking clasps). But watch those freight charges. Sometimes the only available sheet size is 4ft by 4ft or larger. I've had good luck going to local metal & industrial supply shops....that's where I picked up the aluminum square tubing for my guard. You can have it cut there for a nominal charge, and you only end up buying what you need. Plus, no excessive freight charge.

If you're lucky, the shop will have a scrap area where you can root around and find things you may be able to use too. They'll usually give steep discounts on this stuff since it was probably going to be thrown out anyway.

If you're not sure where to find a shop, try asking an auto mechanic. Sometimes these guys do a lot of machining/fab work on their own time and know where to get good materials.

Good point on the freight issue Dave!... Waht you are referring to is the 'drops' pile. Go to any local racecar builder or general fabrication shop and ask who their steel supplier is, or lookin the yellow pages.

Some supply places will elt you take all teh drops you can physically carry for a low set price, like $20-30. Steel prices right now are super rediculous anyway. I'm about to buy 50' of 1.75 x .120 DOM tube for the cage in my Jeep and it like $5/foot...$$$$$$

Also dont forget home depot and Lowes for small pieces of aluminum and steel.

I have a couple of questions for those of you with multiple encounters with hail while chasing:

How long do you usually have between the time you know you're going to be hit and the time it actually hits you?

What factors determine how much warning time you have?

I ask because hail protection obviously needs deployment time. If you are intentionally core punching, then you have that guaranteed prep time before you enter. But if you simply end up in the path of softballs through miscalculation (heading the wrong direction) or ignorance (no up to date radar images or radio reports), it seems that you could be taken by surprise and have no chance to deploy your protection before you are hit. In the real world, how often does this happen?

I have some ideas for vehicular hail protection, but they all involve the need for safe deployment time BEFORE you are hit.

How long do you usually have between the time you know you're going to be hit and the time it actually hits you?
What factors determine how much warning time you have?

In the 2 or 3 times I've been nailed by large hail, I knew it was coming at least a few minutes in advance. I was also actively trying to get the heck out of its way at the time! I don't subscribe to the whole "deploy it just when you need it" theory of hail guard operation. Unless you're able to deploy your shields while you're in the car, you simply won't have time...especially if you're driving at the time. Also, "spot deployment" will not save you from a rogue baseball in otherwise smaller hail. The only other alternative is to build a guard that you can drive with while it's deployed.

Now, if your intent is to drive INTO cores, then that's different. You likely could stop and deploy your shield before getting nailed. I'd say if you can hear the hail roar and see the green color, you're probably in the path and will see the hail within a few minutes. That should give enough time to deploy your shield and maybe reposition a little bit. But if your view is obstructed by your guards, PLEASE don't attempt to drive that way!

After interviewing Scott Mcpartland myself and I will be interviewing David Lewison on Tuesday, I have no doubt in my mind they did not intend to be purposely hit with hail. This article indirectly is referring to them. I would like to see this guy get out in the field himself and see how quick HE could get away from a hail core.

Hail has caught me on many occasions when I have tried to keep away from it. Sometimes, it gets you no matter what you do.

Michael W. Moss
radio.nhcwx.com
PR Director

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back