Vehicle Hail Protection essay

Status
Not open for further replies.
too much swearing for me to get past the few paragraph...

Swearing is horrible. I hate it too! :roll:

Anyway, I find two things interesting here. First, I find it interesting how much more willing chasers are to make personal attacks since just a year ago when I joined Stormtrack. This board has changed, like it or not.

Second, I find it interesting that the gentleman in question had his life absolutely changed by christ, then turned to athiesm. I very rarely hear someone say christ completely changed their life, yet then become an athiest.

As far as his writing goes, I feel that he alienates his audience to the point that they actively dislike him. Calling your reader the names RJ uses is unlikely to foster a learning experience (which he claims to want to do). He may be trying to create a tough-guy character for the entertainment value, but the fun seems to be all his.

I remember when RJ was a reasonable man and great storm cahser.. not sure what happened to him.

Sic Hail baby!

Apparently he not only is an atheist, but he sounds like a stormchasing Nazi too. The "essay" if you want to call that unprofessional profane dribble an essay, had some good points that instruments on a chase vehicle may give some false reports. However, that error is adjustable, I would think. Personally I think your chase vehicles are awesome, and they probably work very well, instruments included. I might even hope to make one for myself someday, perhaps at graduate school, hopefully at OU. and I might even use some of my Iraq deployment money to fund it.

I don't know him personally, so I really can't say anything regarding him. I'm sure he's good at what he does. He does make some pretty good points, but they'd be more effective if he wrote the essay in a more professional manner if you know what I mean. I'm not going to lie; with all of the 4-letter words in the essay, it looks like it was written by a high-schooler rather than a professional. I found his essay mildly amusing, but I didn't care much for the "I know everything you know nothing " undertone even though I at least somewhat agree with some of his points, especially with regards to using weather instruments when they have little-to-no scientific merit (there's just no point in my opinion). I dunno, it was kind of funny, but it was kind of ridiculous too. I like reading Dr. Doswell's essays. I may not agree with some of his opinions on various things, but I think his essays are very well-written.

I ran into him a few years ago in Shamrock and he acted like I was some no-nothing noob and he was a chase god. he didnt even ask how long I had ben chasing before he jumped to that conclusion. hate to tell ya RJ but at the time I was on my 18th season. He was rude to anybody that talked to him and was extremely unsociable which may show a deeper issue.

he is badly in need of attention and thats why he acts that way, huge ego but nothing to back it up.I guarantee a Met degree doesnt make a chaser. I know alot of chasers much better than any Met and Mets that couldnt find a wallcloud in a diagram let alone on a real storm. To say his vehicle was built just for scientific research is BS. he sounds alot like the guys building the tornado "probe" machines. they want attention and need to feel important but in reality they are nothing special.

EDITED for correct name spelling. thanks Jeff.

Originally posted by Jay McCoy
hate to tell ya JR but at the time I was on my 18th season.

Just for correction... I think you meant "RJ" (of RJ Evans), the subject of this thread. The only JR I know is JR Hehnly, whom I will almost guarantee did not treat you bad as he's one of the nicest guys I know.

I met RJ on a chase day in 2003. He was a nice guy. I won't judge as I don't know him personally, but when I met him he was cool...

This guy was a tour guide for Clound 9 Tours??? Shesssh....I would hate to run into him in the field. Something has made this guy mad at the world and he is taking out on anyone he can.

Originally posted by Jeff Snyder+--><div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(Jeff Snyder)</div>
<!--QuoteBegin-Jay McCoy
hate to tell ya JR but at the time I was on my 18th season.

Just for correction... I think you meant "RJ" (of RJ Evans), the subject of this thread. The only JR I know is JR Hehnly, whom I will almost guarantee did not treat you bad as he's one of the nicest guys I know.[/b]

You are correct jeff and I edited my post. I also have met JR and he is a very nice fella. it has been a few years but we met in west oklahoma north of Altus. Even has some pics of me and my truck from that day. Totally opposite impression than I got from RJ.

Okay guys, I think its been made clear the general opinion of RJ. If no one has any more content to add, perhaps we should let this thread die off. No reason to make ourselves look bad with 3 pages of "I hate RJ".

$0.02,
Ben

We need a "spank" emoticon. That would make it nice and easy for everyone to just give the villain of the moment a few spanks, and then we could all move on.

:wink:

Okay guys, I think its been made clear the general opinion of RJ. If no one has any more content to add, perhaps we should let this thread die off. No reason to make ourselves look bad with 3 pages of \"I hate RJ\".

I agree. The personal attacks are disheartening to see, especially when a post contains no other redeeming information. C'mon people, we're better than that.

Agreed. Perhaps we should return to the points RJ makes and the discussion of hail shields -- their construction and use, intentional penetration of hail cores, use of second-rate instrumentation on chase vehicles, and insurance issues.

The hail shield I saw on the essayist's vehicle didn't IMO represent the last word in design. Notably it did not allow sufficient visibility when deployed for safe driving, and thus had to be deployed immediately before encountering damaging hail. It also did not protect other critical surfaces than the windshield, e.g. side windows and running-light lenses.

What a pric. I don't know the guy from boo, but he seems like an egotistical asshole to me. The "are you RJ" thing on his top 10 list just shows how caught up in himself he is. He said he is going to be covering politics in his editorial. I bet that is real insightful.

Has anyone tried thermoforming "Plexiglass" [ed. or, better Vivak copolyester] sheet to conform to the windows? If some holes were drilled low-down (for aeration) and the sheet caulked or held in place with Velcro you might be able to add considerable impact resistance, yet drive safely with it attached. Running lights might be hardened with U-shaped shelter guards of similar, thicker material.

Occasional buffing of the windshield guard might be required to remove wear from dust on the wipers and sandblasting from wind.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back