• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Twister sequel

I'll withhold judgment until I see the movie, but the 3 things that stuck out to me in the trailer was them leaving their vehicle in a field to get blown away while just a few feet away they run with no troubles, the "Tempest Tours" t-shirt during the "if you fell it, chase it" scene, and the horns and tornado on the front of the truck that looks a lot like the horns on the Brody Tours vehicle in Supercell (that was inspired a Tempest Tours van). The later 2 have me wondering what Tempest Tours connection is to this film, as I don't think they would have had at the t-shirt without some connection.

I think I was too critical in my first assessment. Of course I’m going to be nit picky, but the trailer was honestly pretty good now that I think about it. The only things that stick out to me now is the first scene with the car, how are they still running when the car right behind them is airborne? And the Dodge Ram with the yellow drills is kind of goofy, I feel like if they wanted to design a better intercept vehicle they could’ve easily done that. But the tornadoes look absolutely amazing. Some of those scenes you could’ve told me they were real. My only ask is a good score. If it has awesome tornadoes with a good score, I’ll be happy.

I think I was too critical in my first assessment. Of course I’m going to be nit picky, but the trailer was honestly pretty good now that I think about it. The only things that stick out to me now is the first scene with the car, how are they still running when the car right behind them is airborne? And the Dodge Ram with the yellow drills is kind of goofy, I feel like if they wanted to design a better intercept vehicle they could’ve easily done that. But the tornadoes look absolutely amazing. Some of those scenes you could’ve told me they were real. My only ask is a good score. If it has awesome tornadoes with a good score, I’ll be happy.
Supposedly Twisters only concluded filming on the 1st of February -- (source: Twisters: Release Date, Cast, Story, Trailer & Everything We Know About The Twister Sequel) -- so they likely put together the special effects and the trailer within a mere 10 days.

More often than not, first trailers tend to pale in comparison to the official release when it comes to CG quality, some scenes are re-done completely from what we see in the trailers.

Last edited:
If it has the same "feel" as the original (music, quotability, fun themes outweighing the emotional/serious ones), I think most of us will end up liking it despite the nitpicks, as most chasers did with Twister. I have the score CD from the original and still listen to it from time to time.

I am looking forward to seeing Twisters, but I have my reservations. The CGI appears to be impressive (so are real tornadoes ) Does this movie "have heart" like Twister did? That's much more difficult than CGI these days. I am most concerned about seeing the Dorothys in the trailer. That makes me worried that the movie will just be a rehash of Twister. Hopefully not. The synopsis listed above gives me some hope that the movie has a different story. I'm also concerned about the overpass, but will need to have context. No matter, I will be watching that movie on the first day of opening.

Similar to you @Tony Laubach I was already into severe weather when Twister came out in spring 1996. At the time, I already had my first chase trip scheduled for June 1996 with one of the first (now defunct) tour companies. I remember all tour participants being sent a Twister poster in the mail as part of our welcome packet. We were branded by the then-veterans as “post-Twister chasers,” although for you, me and others the timing was a mere coincidence. It really irked me that this was the perception for years, no legitimacy earned even after a decade of chasing, through some pretty quiet years too. Well, here we are 30 years later, veterans in our own right! 😏

The original Twister was pretty dumb and yet we all love it. It has gotten better with age. So perhaps the new one will turn out to be the same.

In some ways I wish it was coming out before the season, to help get in the mood. Why would I want to get all pumped up about chasing in July, when I have to wait another 9 or 10 months at that point before I can chase again??? But perhaps it‘s better, for it will delay for a year the new influx of “post-Twister chasers”!

I found the trailer entertaining. I am a sucker for a cheesy action movie, and this has all the hallmarks. The CGI looks great and there's enough references to the original and some realistic-ish elements to keep me entertained. Plus several friends/coworkers are extras so I have to see it.

I am pretty stoked for this movie. First of all, I wouldn't worry too much about the overpass scene. Based on what we know, Daisy Edgar Jones' character (Katy) is likely the only survivor, and the experience causes her to step away from storm chasing, but only temporarily. It appears that scene could be based loosely off of the 2013 El Reno tornado. Glen Powell's character (Tyler) appears to be almost an anti-hero. It's almost like he's a little bit of both Bill and Jonas from the original film. Lee Isaac Chung (Minari 2020) directing gives me confidence that the characters will be memorable. You know there will be witty dialogue and memorable one liners because we already got "If you feel it, chase it!". I expect an engaging story (considering the genre) that keeps you on the edge of your seat. From the glimpses we got in the trailer, the CGI tornadoes look legit, and are definitely a massive step forward in realism. I love the shot looking up at the occluded funnel on the back of the updraft with blue sky next to it. Obviously being a Hollywood flick, there will be plenty of inaccuracies with the physics of tornadoes, meteorology, etc., but that's part of the fun of going to the movies. At this point I am confident this movie is going to be a lot of fun. For me, the biggest question mark at this point is the soundtrack. Mark Mancina wrote a masterpiece of a score that captured the spirit of America's heartland, and combined with the wizardry that was Van Halen, made for a soundtrack that tied the entire movie together from the opening shot to the very last credit fading to black. I heard specifically that Chung wanted to capture that same "Americana" spirit that the first film did.

Will it be better than the original? Does it have to be? For those of us who were directly inspired by the first film to become storm chasers, the magic of that experience will never be replicated. Also, you can't replace Bill Paxton, Phillip Seymore Hoffman and Van Halen.

Based on what I have heard and have seen so far, I believe Twisters has a chance to be a cult classic of it's own. Now the obvious downside is the massive influx of new chasers, which means more of us older guys with families may be forced to become structure junkies as the county road gets clogged with a bunch of newbs that had no idea just a little rain can turn a good, dry dirt road into snot.

At first, the trailer had me excited and gave me goosebumps even.
Then the editor in me realized, they went overboard on the effects. On another platform I posted, "I wish this were a Christopher Nolan film".
I showed the trailer to a non-chaser film buff who shared my concern and asked who they believed would direct this film best. We went back and forth on this for a while, I never let up on Nolan.
Here's who we came up with after much consideration: JJ Abrams or James Cameron.
We ultimately agreed on Cameron.

Happy Valentine's Day, everyone!

Laney, agree with you about Cameron

But, we could have Martin Scorsese whip up a movie where the tornadoes conspire and work together to take out pockets of the mafia across the USA.

What was essential to me was that it always felt like in that first movie, which didn't necessarily feel like a disaster movie," [director Lee Isaac] Chung says of what he considered essential to make his new movie feel related to Twister. "To me, it felt like an adventure movie, and I always loved how that movie inspired a generation of meteorologists and people who were interested in science and weather just because it made that study feel like it was an adventure. That's something that I wanted to retain with this one.

That's really promising to hear, as many of us have been speculating on the tonal direction this sequel was going to take. Indeed, Twister did inspire a whole generation of chasers, not just road clogging yahoos, but meteorologists who advanced science and passionate life-long hobbyists who advanced the endeavor itself. My chase partner and I are unabashedly Twister inspired chasers.

1708293008962.jpeg
(right photo courtesy Max Olson)

I hope the director pulls it off.

It's also nice to see the new film taking direct inspiration from real life. Notably, several of the featured tornadoes look like copies of actual events.

1708293363344.png

"We got twins!" looks exactly like Tony Laubach's shot of Akron, CO last from last year:

1708293423941.png

In fact it's so uncanny, I suspect it's a real shot that's been composited or duplicated in CG.

The poster tornado could be any number of events, but the shading, turbulence, and tilt of the funnel and debris cloud remind me of Carpenter, WY back in 2017.

1708293963504.png

1708294023916.png

This shot though, with the slow tilt looking up the funnel with compact clear air tornado cyclone, actually gave me goosebumps:

1708294315920.png

...and a clear demonstration that these won't be the 1D, tone-deaf manifestations of dread and disaster as they're usually portrayed, but also awe-inspiring objects of beauty and wonder. The first film had moments that captured that so well, so it's hopeful to see it again here.

This shot though, with the slow tilt looking up the funnel with compact clear air tornado cyclone, actually gave me goosebumps:

1708294315920.png
This is probably inspired by the infamous picture of Anadarko F3 during the May 3rd, 1999 outbreak

Like the original, it will probably be fun, yet over the top. I’ll watch it once or twice, then I’m good. Discovery’s Storm Chasers is what got the fire going for me getting into storm chasing and not so much Twister. While the Discovery show had fabricated drama for viewership, it was more authentic to chasing (except for the driving armored “tanks” into tornadoes part, which applies to most chasers).

I can't say I'm very excited about it, but I think it's more about me than the movie itself. I'm in a much different place in life than I was 28 years ago and the newness of chasing has long worn off, so the experience of seeing something new and different will most likely not be there like it was for the first movie. With that and most remakes or "re-imagined" movies in the last 15 years or so falling far short of the originals because they tend to focus more on the visual aspect and lack in story (except for Top Gun: Maverick - that was well done) I tend not to get my hopes too high.

I'll probably wait for it to come to streaming, but once it's released I'll give it a watch.

I can't help but worry that this is going to introduce millions of new people to an already crowded hobby, but at the same time I know that we can't just gatekeep something this special to ourselves. Twister was one of my favorite movies growing up, and really introduced me to the possibility of storm chasing. 20 years later, I made my first trip to the Great Plains. In 2023 I saw my first tornado - the EF4 event in Didsbury, Alberta. These are amazing experiences that I think everyone should have the opportunity to have, as long as they are responsible about it. My only hope is that this new generation of weather enthusiasts takes the effort to properly learn about storm chasing and doesn't just emulate what they see in the movie, on Twitter, or YouTube.

I can't help but worry that this is going to introduce millions of new people to an already crowded hobby, but at the same time I know that we can't just gatekeep something this special to ourselves. Twister was one of my favorite movies growing up, and really introduced me to the possibility of storm chasing. 20 years later, I made my first trip to the Great Plains. In 2023 I saw my first tornado - the EF4 event in Didsbury, Alberta. These are amazing experiences that I think everyone should have the opportunity to have, as long as they are responsible about it. My only hope is that this new generation of weather enthusiasts takes the effort to properly learn about storm chasing and doesn't just emulate what they see in the movie, on Twitter, or YouTube.
I have become less concerned about this. With the original Twister, it was many people’s first exposure to storm chasing, who didn’t know it existed up until the movie came out. But with social media and other movies giving storm chasing exposure, I don’t think it will inspire nearly as many people as the original. I could be wrong though.

New shot of the "Twins".

Considering in the first shot, the smaller tornado was on the right but in this newer one it's on the left, it might actually be a satellite tornado orbiting around the larger funnel.

Attachments

• Twisters TV Spot - Feb 2024 0-23 screenshot.png
    Twisters TV Spot - Feb 2024 0-23 screenshot.png
    976.2 KB · Views: 7
The tornado in the main movie poster looks a lot like McCook, Nebraska on May 17, 2019. It would be interesting to hear a "behind the scenes" interview on which events inspired the different depictions.

Back