• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Twister sequel

I’m surprised the screen writer said, in reference to tornadoes, that the numbers are higher and more violent. Statistically the number of tornadoes has been below average in 14 out of the last 18 years and the last EF-5 was Moore on May 20th 2013. I believe that’s the longest drought in our recorded history.
I hope we don’t have a movie version of you know who saying how “insane!” the chasing has been….

and the storms themselves are more violent.

I wouldn’t get too excited about the screenwriter being more meteorologically realistic. There is no evidence that tornados are “more violent.” In fact, the last EF-5 tornado was 10 years ago, which I think is a record length of time without an EF-5.

I wouldn’t get too excited about the screenwriter being more meteorologically realistic. There is no evidence that tornados are “more violent.” In fact, the last EF-5 tornado was 10 years ago, which I think is a record length of time without an EF-5.
At this point, I’m not expecting a scientifically accurate movie. I just hope the movie is entertaining and has just enough realism for it to not be completely ridiculous. The original Twister movie wasn’t the most accurate either, but it wasn’t outlandish, and it was realistic enough to be enjoyed.

Numbers are higher and more violent may be in reference to tornado events rather than individual tornadoes, as they become more clustered around high profile big-impact days in more populated areas (east and southeast).

At this point, I’m not expecting a scientifically accurate movie. I just hope the movie is entertaining and has just enough realism for it to not be completely ridiculous. The original Twister movie wasn’t the most accurate either, but it wasn’t outlandish, and it was realistic enough to be enjoyed.
I remember my Mom fainting and having to leave the theater during the original Twister. I think she may have vomited- then again I was 8, so don't quote me. The movie was realistic enough for a stoic woman such as her, to have completely embarrassed us.

Youtube has multiple uploads of the trailer now for your viewing enjoyment. To me parts of it looks promising, other parts look lame.

The real trailer has not yet released. I hate that people are posting fan made trailers and advertising it as the real thing. Multiple news outlets are reporting that the trailer will premier during the Super Bowl, however I’m not sure the credibility of these claims.
It looks like all the ones out there now are fake. The one I watched (that was different than the obvious fakes out there now) didn't claim Helen Hunt was in it like the fakes I see now do. I can't find the one I saw - it might have been a fake too..

God damn it: you beat me to it... 😂

I haven't actually watched the full trailer yet: I just caught the spot on the Super Bowl. I'll check it out in full now though then I'll be back.

Sorry to keep posting, but here’s the official synopsis:
This summer, the epic studio disaster movie returns with an adrenaline-pumping, seat-gripping, big-screen thrill ride that puts you in direct contact with one of nature’s most wondrous—and destructive—forces.

From the producers of the Jurassic, Bourne and Indiana Jones series comes Twisters,
a current-day chapter of the 1996 blockbuster, Twister. Directed by Lee Isaac Chung, the Oscar® nominated writer-director of Minari, Twisters stars Golden Globe nominee Daisy Edgar-Jones (Where the Crawdads Sing, Normal People) and Glen Powell (Anyone But You, Top Gun: Maverick) as opposing forces who come together to try to predict, and possibly tame, the immense power of tornadoes.

Edgar-Jones stars as Kate Cooper, a former storm chaser haunted by a devastating encounter with a tornado during her college years who now studies storm patterns on screens safely in New York City. She is lured back to the open plains by her friend, Javi (Golden Globe nominee Anthony Ramos, In the Heights) to test a groundbreaking new tracking system. There, she crosses paths with Tyler Owens (Powell), the charming and reckless social-media superstar who thrives on posting his storm-chasing adventures with his raucous crew, the more dangerous the better.

As storm season intensifies, terrifying phenomena never seen before are unleashed, and Kate, Tyler and their competing teams find themselves squarely in the paths of multiple storm systems converging over central Oklahoma in the fight of their lives.

K just did. Well, there's the usual storm chaser movie drama with this one. Already first stupid thing I think I saw is that they hid under the overpass in the beginning which is just, HILARIOUS. And it looks like that one red Ram or so will be the closest I get to seeing another tornado intercept vehicle in a tornado movie. But I'm gonna hold off on judgement on the story and characters for now, since ultimately this still looks like potentially the most exciting tornado movie we've seen in years.

The CGI tornadoes look pretty good, but they're heading to a highway overpass for shelter in one scene. I suppose that might be a good thing (in a macabre way) if those characters don't survive that in the storyline.
It just occurred to me now after I finished reading the synopsis, but do you think we can maybe give them the benefit of the doubt for hiding under the overpass if that flashback scene took place in the 90s, when people thought that hiding under overpasses was safe? That'd honestly be pretty clever if that was the intention.

It just occurred to me now after I finished reading the synopsis, but do you think we can maybe give them the benefit of the doubt for hiding under the overpass if that flashback scene took place in the 90s, when people thought that hiding under overpasses was safe? That'd honestly be pretty clever if that was the intention.
That makes sense. If they had any chaser/meteorologist consultants on the crew there's no way they wouldn't know about it. It's got us all taking about it, which is probably the intent.

Gotta love how an approaching tornado pulls the car away but the people can get out and run clear! The story looks dreadful and pretty similar to Supercell. Given the mention in the trailer of "blowing up a tornado" and the synposis saying storms are converging, I imagine the payoff will be a 'mega tornado' which they blow up and save civilisation as we know it.

Wish they had shown the whole trailer during the Super Bowl, and wonder why they didn’t. (Cost comes to mind, but this is a major studio big-budget production, so I would think cost was not an issue…) But I just now watched it online. Yeah it’s probably stupid to people like us, but I’m excited about it anyway. To see a movie based on a niche hobby like ours is a cool thing, regardless of how dumb othe characters, dialogue, or plot may be. As others have said, the CGI looks good. Don’t all of us (or at least those of us that chase sanely and safely) imagine what it might like to really be that close - or even in - a tornado? The movie seems to offer that vicarious thrill. Just like if it was a tornado simulator ride - I think we would all appreciate the experience for what it is, even if it isn’t completely true to life.

I think the above interpretation of the “under the overpass” scene may be correct. The synopsis talks about a bad tornado experience the female protagonist had in college, and it looks like a younger girl that is under the girders. So it makes sense that we are seeing a past event that her college-aged self went through in the 1990s (although if it’s supposed to be Andover 1991, she would be in her early 50s now and doesn’t look anywhere near that old…)

At 7 mil for 30 seconds, it would make sense to make a teaser for the trailer and direct people online to the full thing (2 minutes = 28 mil). Most of the trailers (Deadpool, Wicked) did this, and I imagine that was the reason.

As for the trailer itself... I'm never one to judge a movie on the teaser. I think for the lay person, it's more than enough to direct butts to seats. Me and just about everyone else on this forum/in this community will be lined up to see this in theaters. What's going to be hard is turning off your brain to enjoy this as the movie it's meant to be. We're all going to pick it apart, it's what we do. But will it detract from the enjoyment of the flick?

I was 16 when the original Twister came out... I had already been lasso'd into the storm chasing bug thanks to 'The Enemy Wind' introducing me to the concept of chasing via Warren Faidley. I went to see the movie because of my interest in it; the movie did not spur me to chase. I enjoyed the hell out of it as a kid, and I do so now when I do watch it. I have yet to see any movie about tornadoes that I enjoy more. Will this make it up on the list? We'll see... having a bias knowing several close friends are extras in it certainly helps add intrigue.

This will be an opening nighter for me... and I hope it's with a crowd of friends.

Back