Twister sequel

The more and more talk about this film, the less and less excited I get. It's not just this film, its a lot of films that are either being "rebooted" or given sequels. I just feel like without Bill Paxton it really takes the magic of Twister away for me. I kinda feel like they should just leave it the way it was instead of potentially ruining a classic film. I guess for me its probably more so an opinion, I'm not a real big fan of weather movies or disaster movies in general. Comedy and sometimes horror is more my thing.

The more and more talk about this film, the less and less excited I get. It's not just this film, its a lot of films that are either being "rebooted" or given sequels. I just feel like without Bill Paxton it really takes the magic of Twister away for me. I kinda feel like they should just leave it the way it was instead of potentially ruining a classic film. I guess for me its probably more so an opinion, I'm not a real big fan of weather movies or disaster movies in general. Comedy and sometimes horror is more my thing.

Can't say that I'm excited for a sequel. If they were able to bring back a lot of the original cast, that would definitely help. Sad that Bill Paxton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman have passed and obviously can't be included. I have only heard rumors that Helen Hunt may reprise her role, but as far as I know that hasn't been confirmed. If none of the original cast are brought back, then I just don't see how it can be any good.

Thought about making my own thread of the following but this was easier. So, I just had a crazy theory about the new Twisters movie.

When I was reading some comments discussing what the possible plot could be, one that stuck out was where the movie starts by showing Bill and Dusty's deaths, that being in an intercept vehicle that wasn't strong enough and got picked up by a tornado (Titus lol). He then went on to say that for the plot of the movie, the likes of the Dominators and the TIVs are brought back into action, and that Bill and Jo's daughter basically chases tornadoes in stronger and stronger intercept vehicles until she finally catches the big one. There's a bit more substance to this kid's theory, but that's basically all you need to know.

This brings me back to the first time I joined this forum and hopped on the thread discussing TIV 1's return. User rebelrage found a Facebook post dating back to January 2020, where Sean was discussing with some guys about how he bought a new Dodge Ram 3500, which would presumably become TIV 3.

Screenshot_tiv_3.png

I know what I'm about to suggest is highly unlikely - the two-year gap between this conversation and the announcement of Twisters alone is perhaps too much - but WHAT IF, what if, that Sean is building TIV 3 to be featured in the movie? And then that some of the footage used in the movie is of real tornadoes, with the final shot - assuming the film ends off the way the original and Into the Storm did - from inside the funnel is done with TIV 3? Again, not likely. I know. But by God if that wouldn't be cool. :D

Last edited:
Industry rag reports it is no longer a sequel, but a reboot - a "new chapter" with all new characters. Yuck.

Could be for the best… Preserve the nostalgia of the original, with no risk of tainting it through misguided attempts at a sequel in which characters are either 30 years older or cannot be reprised because the actors have passed away… Think of this as it’s own thing, separate from Twister, another exciting and very rare opportunity, like Supercell, to see the thing we love on the big screen!

I met with the set decorator this morning and provided her some materials (artwork/photos) for the movie, and discussed some of the details (no real spoilers) of the movie and the vision the director has for the movie. After today's conversation, I am quite hopeful that Twisters will live up to expectations. This movie will be a stand alone reboot. There will be no ties to the original. While I was disappointed when I first heard this news a few weeks ago, since then I have come to embrace the idea of a stand alone reboot, and after what I learned today, I am quite excited.

They realize what worked with the original Twister to make it such a hit. It was exciting, fun, had cutting edge CGI and had memorable characters. The aren't trying to copy the original, but they realize that to captivate audiences they have to tell a story that shows how these storms are engrained into the very fabric of Americana. Now I am paraphrasing the last sentence, but she specifically said Americana, and if you read one of my previous posts here, I specifically mentioned that word Americana. When she said this, my face lit up because I knew they GET IT! As for the storms, I did briefly show her some of Leigh Orf's videos and have emailed her links to his work. It sounds as if Orf's work has already been mentioned by others in the wx community with whom they have been in contact with. That is really exciting to hear. It tells me that we may actually get to see tornadoes out of legit structured supercells and not a benign stratus deck!

Filming is set to begin the second week of May. Some of the towns in Oklahoma where they will be filming include Chickasha (primary location?), Orienta/Fairview, and El Reno. There are scenes planned that involve actual chasers (with vehicles) as extras in pre and post storm environments. The casting call for this has already gone out, and they already have or are finalizing selections.

It was recently announced that actor Glen Powell (Top Gun: Maverick) will be joining the cast.

Now there is a possible writers strike that could happen as early as next week. This may temporarily bring Hollywood productions to a halt, however it sounds that the movie Twisters will move forward in production regardless. I am also hearing they are wanting to push the release date up to May 2024, which has previously been discussed here.

The CGI has only improved…

I do hope there is a scene of what starts out as a diaphanous, inviting small condensation funnel that draws children towards it hypnotically…but inflow jet tries to push them even farther before a parent shoved them into a ditch as it begins to widen and become angry.

Hearts of Space, ethereal music that turns dark ambient to herald the change….maybe Patrick O’Hearn’s.

A safety lesson that can not only entertain but instruct.

Here is another article with a detailed description of the extras casting for a big movie being filmed in Oklahoma, likely Twister. They describe the different types of extras needed and when. I guess I would be a "nerdy storm chaser." Judging from the descriptions, maybe they'll have a tornado hit a city.

Link to the article about extras needed

Just took a quick walk before my lunch break in downtown OKC. They are set up inside and outside of leadership square ready for a shoot.

No idea what the scene will be.

Apparently I heard Edgar-Jones was in OK filming lightning, so there might still be some solid stuff that comes out of this movie.

All I really have to say though is that, if there isn't a tornado intercept vehicle in this movie - and I don't care if it's part of the plot or just simply a cameo - I'll be upset. 😂

Here is another article with a detailed description of the extras casting for a big movie being filmed in Oklahoma, likely Twister. They describe the different types of extras needed and when. I guess I would be a "nerdy storm chaser." Judging from the descriptions, maybe they'll have a tornado hit a city.

Link to the article about extras needed
I just read this again and realized come of the categories is named “Foreign Tourists.” I wonder if they’ll have one of those tour companies like on Supercell?

They're filming in Midwest City and are building a rodeo set. See this news article and video report. I am concerned about the looming actor's strike. I don't think filming will be completed before the strike.

News Article link

More vehicles supposedly being used in the movie… dunno if this is legit or not though. The mesonets look fairly realistic.View attachment 24412
A couple of days ago we were given a brief update; Mark L. Smith, the screenwriter for Twisters had the following to say:

"I talked to so many storm experts, tornado experts, storm chasers, and rode around with some. Even the tornado season itself, because of climate change, what used to be tornado alley going through a certain stretch. It now extends so further east, and it's moving across, and the dates are wider, and the numbers are higher, and the storms themselves are more violent. So we did use elements of that just to shine a light on it, as well, the causes and effects of climate change."

So it stands to reason that the film seems to be going for a more realistic approach, and naturally, that would have to reflect on the actual equipment used in the film.

I'm quite frankly happy about this approach as much as I love Twister (1996), there was very little actual meteorology apart from references and a couple of NSSL scenes.

Back