Twister sequel

Status
Not open for further replies.
A lot will depend on the writer and the eventual cast, including any notable actors. I cannot imagine a new Twister without some reference to Global Warming. This is especially true if a large studio is making the movie. When I was involved, there were multiple story ideas being considered. I doubt any of the original writers or producers will be involved, given how many years have passed since the original movie. With the original film, the story line I consulted on was tossed for M. Crichton's book. (He's 80 now). FYI, I liked the original script better.

I'm hoping a new film will be able to capture some of the modern lunacy and shenanigans, but it seems like a lot of recent productions use chasing contributors who purge reality and turn the lunacy into some kind of heroism or life-saving nonsense.

As far as the new movie's impact on bringing a new wave of interest into storm chasing, I believe that hinges on how well the movie does upon it's release. In 1996, Warner Bros found lightning in a bottle when they released Twister. It was the second highest grossing movie of the year and became an instant cult classic.

Again, I go back to Top Gun: Maverick. It's the blueprint on how to do a long-awaited sequel that recaptures the magic of the original, and connects original fans with a whole new generation of fans. Movie makers must bridge the story in "twisters" back to the original, reprise all the roles of the remaining original cast and create a couple of memorable new characters who become fan favorites. They have to replace Bill and Dusty without making it seem like they are trying to replace them. Easier said than done, but great story writing and acting can make it happen.

If Warner Bros is able to recapture what they had in 1996 then I do believe the sequel will help influence a whole new generation of storm chasers, and will have a significant impact on the perception of storm chasing. If the movie is a flop, it won't have the same level of influence. My chase career began in 1997, just over one year after the original movie was released. What the movie did for me was present the concept of storm chasing as an exciting adventure that anyone could do. My interest in tornadoes and weather already existed, but "Twister" made storm chasing mainstream. I am hopeful that the sequel will rival the original, and movie makers will seize the opportunity to make "Twisters" the next long awaited blockbuster sequel.

Last edited by a moderator:
Im kind of worried about how the movie goes from a plot perspective. There was nothing really to build off of from the first film other than that warning system they were working to develop. Twister was never designed to have a sequel in the first place, as it was supposed to be a "one-off and done" kind of movie.
I 100% agree with bringing the original cast back. But something they should try doing is bringing in some Actual chasers from all fields into the film.
Then again, Spielberg was reported to have "flipped" after reading the plot, so its a maybe.

That last sentence scares me. I really hope they're not going with "the tornadoes are alive!It's sadly realistic actually since I believe the 2013 El Reno tornado suddenly turned...

I think that adds to the horror. Having an older person talk about why her parents wanted her to be silent in storms, lest something hear. I want to see Tuscaloosa 2011 on steroids, vortices that almost seem to reach out.

I'll be looking forward to this one.

----
As far as storms not being photographically realistic in various movies...I don't think the 'general public' would ever notice.

The more and more talk about this film, the less and less excited I get. It's not just this film, its a lot of films that are either being "rebooted" or given sequels. I just feel like without Bill Paxton it really takes the magic of Twister away for me. I kinda feel like they should just leave it the way it was instead of potentially ruining a classic film. I guess for me its probably more so an opinion, I'm not a real big fan of weather movies or disaster movies in general. Comedy and sometimes horror is more my thing.

The more and more talk about this film, the less and less excited I get. It's not just this film, its a lot of films that are either being "rebooted" or given sequels. I just feel like without Bill Paxton it really takes the magic of Twister away for me. I kinda feel like they should just leave it the way it was instead of potentially ruining a classic film. I guess for me its probably more so an opinion, I'm not a real big fan of weather movies or disaster movies in general. Comedy and sometimes horror is more my thing.

Can't say that I'm excited for a sequel. If they were able to bring back a lot of the original cast, that would definitely help. Sad that Bill Paxton and Phillip Seymour Hoffman have passed and obviously can't be included. I have only heard rumors that Helen Hunt may reprise her role, but as far as I know that hasn't been confirmed. If none of the original cast are brought back, then I just don't see how it can be any good.

Thought about making my own thread of the following but this was easier. So, I just had a crazy theory about the new Twisters movie.

When I was reading some comments discussing what the possible plot could be, one that stuck out was where the movie starts by showing Bill and Dusty's deaths, that being in an intercept vehicle that wasn't strong enough and got picked up by a tornado (Titus lol). He then went on to say that for the plot of the movie, the likes of the Dominators and the TIVs are brought back into action, and that Bill and Jo's daughter basically chases tornadoes in stronger and stronger intercept vehicles until she finally catches the big one. There's a bit more substance to this kid's theory, but that's basically all you need to know.

This brings me back to the first time I joined this forum and hopped on the thread discussing TIV 1's return. User rebelrage found a Facebook post dating back to January 2020, where Sean was discussing with some guys about how he bought a new Dodge Ram 3500, which would presumably become TIV 3.

Screenshot_tiv_3.png

I know what I'm about to suggest is highly unlikely - the two-year gap between this conversation and the announcement of Twisters alone is perhaps too much - but WHAT IF, what if, that Sean is building TIV 3 to be featured in the movie? And then that some of the footage used in the movie is of real tornadoes, with the final shot - assuming the film ends off the way the original and Into the Storm did - from inside the funnel is done with TIV 3? Again, not likely. I know. But by God if that wouldn't be cool. :D

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back