• A friendly and periodic reminder of the rules we use for fostering high SNR and quality conversation and interaction at Stormtrack: Forum rules

P.S. - Nothing specific happened to prompt this message! No one is in trouble, there are no flame wars in effect, nor any inappropriate conversation ongoing. This is being posted sitewide as a casual refresher.

Total Solar Eclipse April 8, 2024 weather prospects

If I stay at home in London, Ontario, I'll see a 99.7% partial eclipse, but if I drive 20 minutes south I'll be in the path of totality. I think this is an easy call to make. The only problem is this is early April and that usually means cloud cover and rain in this region.

Fingers crossed we get a break of good weather.

I'm really glad I made the drive. Hope the skies were clear for everyone!

Sounds like the weather cooperated in most places. Yay!

St. Louis had 99%+ coverage. It was interesting to see the difference between that and being in the path of totality, as we were last time. It looked almost like a total eclipse but there was always a thin red rim that started on one side & ended up on the other. The 1% I suppose.

Not awe inspiring like a total eclipse but still pretty cool. We had a clear sky, sunny day. As the moon progressed the light dimmed just a bit - as if there was a thin gray screen over the sun. I've only seen this during partial eclipses. Temp. dropped a little.

Crescent shaped shadows under leafy trees. Shadows from the still-leafless trees - very weird looking, not quite like branch shadows in shape. I really don't know how to describe it. They were also in the wrong direction with respect to the location of the sun.

If my math is correct, at the next U.S. coast to coast eclipse on 8/12/45, I will be 81 years old, my husband will be 78 and our daughter will be almost 50. Of course there are no guarantees but given that both my parents and 3 of my grandparents lived well into their 80s, I'm planning on going to Oklahoma or Arkansas for the next one so I better take care of myself.... :)

I wished I'd gotten the settings right to use Stormtrack before the event. I would have shared to use downward short-wave solar flux instead of straight model cloud cover forecasts, to sniff out the decent areas. Straight cloud forecasts overdo it by forecasting % with no context on thickness, height or cloud type. Here is the difference. North Texas was markedly better and correct using flux. My Arkansas report is in the Reports thread, or will be shortly.

1712854964871.png 1712855015803.png

Back