TIV

I think I'll give the tractor-trailer storm tour a miss :wink: !

Here's my off-the-wall idea of the morning.... Outfit a bucket-blade of a compact demolition loader or excavator, e.g. a Bobcat, as a protected filming platform. These are transportable on rather compact trailers pulled by a heavy-duty pickup and easily driven on/off the trailer if necessary. The camera operator can be lifted for a better vantage. The cab properly outfitted could also be used as a highly debris, wind and hail resistant enclosure. It can move medium-size debris blocking the road if necessary

Now here's the best part. During the 99% of the year when there's no storm to film you can hire out the equipment for its traditional use and pay for the chasing. Or under direction of emergency personnel you may find yourself on the spot and able to dig someone out of a destroyed structure and perhaps even save a life. FWIW.

I love the idea. Dirt/mud roads might be a problem and once the bulldozer is on the loose it would need to be somewhat speedy, to keep up with the weather. If I could get Tim Samaras as the commander we might have a chance, though William Shatner dose live up the street from me....I just don't know if he'll wear the proper outfit I'm now invisioning.

To do the idea to death.... My thought was to design the hold-downs and on/off ramps so you could deploy and stow the Bobcat in a minute or so. Or just leave it by the side of the road for a little while if you have to get out really fast. I think their max speed is something like seven mph.

Yeh the application seems better suited to putting a probe in the path of a tornado. Things happen so fast out there and we usually find ourselves in a catch-up mode. Speed plus the ability to commit to dirt roads equalizes the stupid decisions I make while chasing.

I do think a new version of the TIV built on a truck frame is the best platform for our endeavor. A 4x4 ford 550 has a GVW of 19,500 lbs, while a bobcat probably weighs 3,000 tops and isn't built to carry an additional load. I actually bought a 2000 Ford 550 but just didn't have the time or space to convert it. I gave it to my company with the idea of repossesing it when I had the time/money/space.

Thanks for the link. I'm coming over there this Thursday as National Geo is trying to promote the show.

Actually I've been developing an armored body suit, It weighs 120 lbs, so if 300 mph winds generate 400 lbs of push on each sqaure foot (guestamit) you might do very well with it. At least you could wear it during your interviews or for jousting.

The trip to England lasted 54 hours, including the flight. I'm sure though they would want to take you on a tour of the local castles for a photo op. so plan on packing for a 62 hour trip.

england

hi Sean,

I first saw the TIV on May 22nd 2005 in burlington Colorado. I couldn't believe it at first, it is certainly a sight to see. Very impressive.

I saw the articles about TIV in the UK metro and also in the UK mens magasine NUTS. I was surprised it was being shown in main stream UK papers etc but even more surprised to see you on the tv show 'Richard and Judy'. Thats is a very popular show over here. I guess Nat Geo set it all up for advertising purposes but i hope you enjoyed your time here in sunny England :lol:

Sarah

Actually I've been developing an armored body suit, It weighs 120 lbs, so if 300 mph winds generate 400 lbs of push on each sqaure foot (guestamit) you might do very well with it. At least you could wear it during your interviews or for jousting.

The trip to England lasted 54 hours, including the flight. I'm sure though they would want to take you on a tour of the local castles for a photo op. so plan on packing for a 62 hour trip.

Sean,

I was talking to my mum in Scotland at the weekend and she said that she saw some guy on TV over there who had built a "car to drive into tornadoes".

I had great fun in explaining to her that I did indeed know this strange Californian.........and I told her he's very cool. :wink:

KR

To do the idea to death.... My thought was to design the hold-downs and on/off ramps so you could deploy and stow the Bobcat in a minute or so. Or just leave it by the side of the road for a little while if you have to get out really fast. I think their max speed is something like seven mph.

AVS's are so much faster and there funner to run than a bobcat.
If you used a dozer the top gear is third if you run in that gear to long your tracks will be worn out faster than you can say mama. But I would say a good 7-10 MPH with dozer. Now if you had a hystat D5C CAT. It would be a little faster.

Yes...sunny ol' England. Now that's a city! I get back to Los Angeles and get the distinct feeling that there is no soul, no weather, and everything is made of sheet rock and plywood.

Yes, the Judy and Richard show. They gave me the 4'x10' poster of the TIV that they had as a backdrop. I felt as if I was being put on the stand with exhibit "A" behind me. They were very nice though esp. Judy. The English, I feel, have a special place in their hearts for their loony step-children in America.

Hey Karen, yes you indeed know the nuts from CA. We find out this week if Discovery wants to do a "Reality Series" on storm chasing. If not, no TIV this year. If so I hope to wrangle you and Gene and some other "guides" if they want to be apart of such a damning activity.

We find out this week if Discovery wants to do a "Reality Series" on storm chasing. If not, no TIV this year. If so I hope to wrangle you and Gene and some other "guides" if they want to be apart of such a damning activity.

Are a lot of storm chasers jumping on this bandwagon or is it a select group? ...I bring this up because the Twister Sisters have eluded to such a possiblity in the past.

Another question - I don't know if it's been asked yet - but what kind of gas mileage does the TIV get?

Sean Casey wrote:
We find out this week if Discovery wants to do a "Reality Series" on storm chasing. If not, no TIV this year. If so I hope to wrangle you and Gene and some other "guides" if they want to be apart of such a damning activity.

Are a lot of storm chasers jumping on this bandwagon or is it a select group? ...I bring this up because the Twister Sisters have eluded to such a possiblity in the past.

Another question - I don't know if it's been asked yet - but what kind of gas mileage does the TIV get?

My question is what you would do in a reality TV series on chasing. They wouldn't have some survivor like contest, would they?

I'm not the producer for this show but was asked to help out if the project goes forward. I think they'll want to follow a couple of storm chasers and put out a request for audition tapes. My stomach curls a bit at the thought of this selection process, it's so "Hollywood".

It's the producer of "Miami Ink" fame, Charlie Corwin.

But this project has about a 30% chance of going through, that's my prediction. If it does, then I'll put up a new thread on Storm Track asking on behalf of the producers for interest in the chasing community, if people think this is the right thing to do.[/u]

Back