TIV

Sean, I can offer some insight into the 3D modeling and simulation. I am a drafter who has made 3D models using Mechanical Desktop and Inventor from Autodesk. The two other major programs for 3D modeling for engineering use are Solid Works and Pro-Engineer.

A few years back, I made some 3D models of sucker rods and couplers that had threads that were failing. The sucker rod manufacturer turned the models over to a college (Olahoma State University, IIRC) to run them through some powerful FEA (Finite Element Analysis) software to determine why the threads were failing. I got the job of producing the models because I knew how to create a true 3D representation of the threads used in the sucker rod industry.
You already have universtiy connections. Have them check with their engineering depts. to see if they have someone who can do the 3D models and run the analysis software.

For explosive bolts or something similar, you might contact Hilti in Tulsa.

Sean what if any is the latest

Sean:

Just curious what the latest is? Figure your getting close to launch for the season. How's the new truck coming?

Race car simulation software would be very useful. They take into account winds from all directions.

Remember when various formulas of race cars where getting into 'ground force' and other aerodynamics. The problem was that when those cars were pointed forward they did "hug" the ground and get better traction. But when the car spun out, the same features that had it "grab" the track caused it to "grab" the air, or fly.

There were some crazy accidents with vehicles gaining some significant heights as the wings, louvres, spoilers etc caught wind from the unintended directions.

Basically a race car is a vehicle travelling in high winds, typically in one direction but they have to prepare for the inevitable loss of control when the vehicle is facing other directions into the wind.

--
Tom

Sean, thank you for coming on here and posting responses with the fellow chasers and interested members, I wish that I could be out on the road chasing, but I'm determined to chase next year :)

I don't have any questions to ask, but I would like to say that I take my hat off to you for giving the project the best possible effort that tyou can give, as well as Josh Wurman and the rest of the crew, and I wish you all the very best of luck out on the road :)

Keep up the good work guys :)

Willie

P.S. For those of us who live in the UK, there is a documentary series about the TIV/DOW project on Channel 5 called "Storm Chaser", it's being aired on Fridays at 8pm, I don't know if this is the documentary that was filmed by Nat Geo or not, but it is definitely worth watching :)

Back