This is unacceptable.

• Thread starter Douglas Mitchell
  • Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
So who is in charge of the "Storm Chasing License Department", because I just want to know if I have the intelegence to post in this forum, which would also infer that I am an official storm chaser? I want to know if my posts are just ridiculous or if they, as so many other people have stated, "contribute" to the storm chasing "community".

These questions seem rediculous, but they have truth; there seems to be a number of people claiming thier material is worth reading over another regarding weather. And there seems to be a "community" that is weeding-out people, which would imply some people are no better than weeds? I hope I'm not a weed!

And where can I take my "Storm Chaser Test" and become a registered "Storm Chaser"?

Simon Brewer
www.stormgasm.com

As someone else noted, you can always contact members via their websites, etc. Read up, go on a few chases, and apply for membership!

Or you can go somewhere else.

Or you can go somewhere else.

I think on some level Shane is right. Jeff, you could go somewhere else, whereas for Shane and some others, the options are rather limited. Since there are probably fewer than 4 dozen individuals on this board who are

1) hard core chasers and/or mets
2) dissatisfied with the current post quality on ST
3) able to leave their personalities behind in the interest of discussing a common hobby/passion
4) can accept the fact that meeting the above 3 criteria means they are labelled elitist by many on this board

then it is probably more practical for this group to find a new home elsewhere on the web (not at ST, since they are not welcome here by the majority) than to try and influence their minority will on the rest of the populance. ST is a crowded place - and too many rules will clearly just make it uncomfortable for too many.

Glen

I applaud the membership restrictions! There are plenty of other weather boards out there for the enthusiasts and weather weenies. Lets keep this site professional enough so that royalty like SPC and NHC meteorologists continue posting.

It's interesting to me that a lot of people here are wanting to defend their "right" to post. To a certain degree, I am in support of this idea. I think that non-chasers and newbies have some valuable things to say. However, if I were still a newbie/non-chaser, I would find it far more valuable to be able to read posts by veteran/experienced chasers than to air my own opinion of something I know very little about.

Like Jeff, when I was younger I was content to simply absorb knowledge from those with more experience. Eventually, I became more experienced and had something to contribute to the community.

I must admit, I don't post on here very often because there are very few threads that interest me. Because of this, I would definitely like to see more participation from veteran/experienced chasers, since I think I would glean a great deal from their knowledge. I would love to see intelligent discussions (even if I weren't allowed to participate) about tornadogenesis theories, or different types of multiple-vortex behavior in tornadoes, etc. I understand that a number of us probably don't care about such subject matter (because they chase for the aesthetic value of storms), but I think that we could all benefit from the knowledge of those who are more experienced.

Gabe

I would have to agree with Simon.

I think some novice, but genuine, chasers are going to be expelled because the "Licensing Department" (aka: the bureaucracy) will base their decisions exclusively on the web and post content (pictures, TA discussions, websites, forecast and weather discussion goofs, etc) and the familiarity (chaser gatherings attended) of the Stormtrack membership.

OR

The Administration will contact various members, asking them to "prove" their eligibility as storm chasers.

I find it odd that the people who disapprove of the public licensing idea for all storm chasers, that has found it's way in some ST threads, support that notion for this forum.

Originally posted by Geoff Boyle
I find it odd that the people who disapprove of the public licensing idea for all storm chasers, that has found it's way in some ST threads, support that notion for this forum.
Except that it's different. You don't have to be a member of ST to chase. If the Tims decided to make ST open to only people who had the middle initial "Z" they could do that. By and large, novice chasers only add noise to a forum like this. They can still read and learn, but they don't (generally) have much in the way of substance to contribute. I was on WX-CHASE for almost a year before I started posting, just taking it all in and trying to learn so that when I did start open my mouth I could keep my foot out. (Still struggling with that sometimes). I'm all for the changes that were made. Over time, it may become apparent that this was an overcorrection. Then again, it may become apparent that this was desperately needed.

My advice to everyone is to chill out. Let's stick with this for a while and see what happens. You don't give up on a chase at 4PM, there's no reason to get so worked up about the remodel just yet. Let's see how it goes.

Ben

I can't understand if I should even be viewing the boards anymore. I feel a bit insulted by being called a "weather weenie". I've been interested in weather my whole life, growing up in southern MN (lots of activity there!). I moved to northern MN after high school to attend college, and now after school, having a job, a family, and 3 children, I am in no position to hop in my car at the drop of a hat. Not to mention that northern MN isn't exactly the hotbed of severe weather activity. I hope to someday.

I do what I can with my interests and passion for weather- reading this forum, and others, being a Skywarn spotter for several years, and learning. But from what I'm reading here, I can't tell whether or not I should frequent the site. I know the new rules say I can, but reading the discussions here, there are some who believe I "fit" here, and others who think I'm a "weenie".

What I'm saying, I guess, is if I find this site a learning tool, I don't feel it necessary to be labeled a weenie.

I think some novice, but genuine, chasers are going to be expelled because the \"Licensing Department\"

There is no reason to expell "novice chasers" if they do in fact go out and chase.

I can't understand if I should even be viewing the boards anymore. I feel a bit insulted by being called a \"weather weenie\".

Chris, no offense should be taken from being called a weather weenie... I can proudly proclaim myself as one too. I'll just simply state that for weather weenies... better forums exist. ST is geared towards those that actively "track' storms.

What I'm saying, I guess, is if I find this site a learning tool, I don't feel it necessary to be labeled a weenie.

Users can still read forums from the public... there is no reason why the forum wouldn't be a learning tool... even for those who are not members.

Aaron

One thing i found interesting is i have a 67% rating for E&E. Which of course would preclude me from posting in the new forum "Bar and grill". Im on probationary status and i guess could be expelled from this site at anytime.

This year I chased 9 chases and drove a little over 6k miles. Last year I chased 6 storms and about 4k miles. Im not chasing with tour groups etc.. I am a Storm Chaser.. I have learned alot and have alot more to learn and look forward to that.

I find that people who dont chase though, Some have never chased or have chased once or went on a tour have more access to the board than i do. Only because they dont have 800+ posts. I did engage in political debate, etc. i thought I was participating in the community because thats what the community did when they werent chasing storms.

Strange paradox huh? When people who dont really chase have more rights in my "percieved home" than I do. i am unsure if I am an exception to the rule or not. So goes life though...

My 2c

Originally posted by fplowman
One thing i found interesting is i have a 67% rating for E&E. Which of course would preclude me from posting in the new forum \"Bar and grill\" Im on probationary status and i guess could be expelled from this site at anytime.

This year I chased 9 chases and drove a little over 6k miles. Last year I chased 6 storms and about 4k miles. Im not chasing with tour groups etc.. I am a Storm Chaser.. I have learned alot and have alot more to learn.

I find that people who dont chase though, Some have never chased or have chased once or went on a tour have more access to the board than i do. Only because they dont have 800+ posts. I did engage in political debate, etc. i thought I was participating in the community because thats what the community did when they werent chasing storms.

Strange paradox huh? When people who dont really chase have more rights in my \"percieved home\" than I do. i am unsure if I am an exception to the rule or not. So goes life though...

My 2c

Pretty much. Guess it would have paid to condense responses into one long post. Oh well, not much of interest going on in there anyways.

I just did the math and I figureed if i watch my P's and Q's after about 1000 posts i can start to maybe post in the socialization area again aka "grill and bar".

Damn its going to be a long winter... lol

SDS on steroids.

[By and large, novice chasers only add noise to a forum like this. They can still read and learn, but they don't (generally) have much in the way of substance to contribute.
Ben[/quote]

I'm a novice. I would hate to be excluded from posting when I have questions. I rarely have anything “real†to contribute. I’m a chaser, yes, but I don’t have fancy equipment. I chase within a 200 mile radius of my home. I check the radar before I leave, I bring my weather radio and I chase by watching the storms, not by watching the radar … so I’m no where near a “professionalâ€. But I love it. I live for it.

I look forward to all the discussions during the height of tornado season because, other than my five-year-old son, there are no other weather enthusiasts in my family. I enjoy participating in the discussions, even if it’s vicariously. ST has opened up my world to meet and enjoy others who are passionate about storms. I hope I can still participate. I would really miss it.

Originally posted by Bobbi Andrzejek

I'm a novice. I would hate to be excluded from posting when I have questions. I rarely have anything “real†to contribute. I’m a chaser, yes, but I don’t have fancy equipment. I chase within a 200 mile radius of my home. I check the radar before I leave, I bring my weather radio and I chase by watching the storms, not by watching the radar … so I’m no where near a “professionalâ€. But I love it. I live for it.

I look forward to all the discussions during the height of tornado season because, other than my five-year-old son, there are no other weather enthusiasts in my family. I enjoy participating in the discussions, even if it’s vicariously. ST has opened up my world to meet and enjoy others who are passionate about storms. I hope I can still participate. I would really miss it.

Bobbi -- I certainly wouldn't worry about it -- you ARE a chaser afterall. High tech or low tech, you go out in search of storms, so you are a chaser.

Personally, I certainly would NOT say that 'novice chasers' don't have anything to contribute. Novice or experienced, a chaser is a chaser -- we all started as novices at one point or another. My point of contention lies with non-chasers on a chasing forum. Again, as stated a ton of times, anyone can read ST and learn a load beneficial material. Get a couple chasers under your belt, and come join our community!

Disclaimer: The view expressed above is that of my own, not necessarily that of official Stormtrack administrative!

Originally posted by Michael Auker
I applaud the membership restrictions! There are plenty of other weather boards out there for the enthusiasts and weather weenies. Lets keep this site professional enough so that royalty like SPC and NHC meteorologists continue posting.

Royalty? Oh my. Most mets I have met do not chase! While they are very helpful (and appreciated) for learning forecasting and the new ways to interpret the weather, most will not meet the new criteria to be here. 'Tis sad. Since I am only a part-time back yard chaser in SE Texas and it has been a less than exciting year...am I on the "soon to be discarded list"? I would like to know what constitutes a "quality post".

Good luck on attaining <60% Fred. I am a 47%er if I remember right. :roll:

This place should get very interesting come Dec-mid March.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back