**TESSA/Texas Storm Conference 2005**

Gene Rhoden

Shameless plug for TESSA.........but it's also something newsworthy and worth while talking about.

Everybody should be *ridiculously* excited by the fact that Southern Plains chase legend Al Moller has been announced on the Presenters roster at the upcoming 2005 TESSA on February 26th 2005 in Arlington, TX. Hearing Al talk at the Dallas County SKYWARN event once per year never was enough.....that man is like caffeine on your system if you're a weather weenie and/or a passionate chaser......

Al Moller's presentation is entitled "THE ART AND SCIENCE OF HAND ANALYSIS FOR TORNADO FORECASTING".
OK. Can't argue there, then.....(notebooks at the ready).....LOL!!

The TESSA Schedule info. and Presenters page can be found here:-

http://www.tessa.org/meeting_presenters.html
(Note: There is a date mistake on this page and the correct date for the
convention is Feb. 26th 2005. This mistake should be rectified very soon.)

I really hope that many of you will be attending - especially if you live in the Southern Plains and are not blessed with quite enough travelling time/funds to get you to the Convention in Denver. If you're a storm chaser or spotter in Texas or Oklahoma - it really is inexcusable to miss this event - OR the chaser dinner that religiously happens in the evening after the event - last year many attended this BBQ feast, including Messrs. Moller, Marshall, Barricklow, Edwards, Raskovich and the Texas A&M Chase Team. Wanna meet everyone this time round??..........

Gene Rhoden

(TESSA is still seeking additional sponsors but sponsorship placements are
limited - if you or your company are interested contact TESSA via the
following link:-
http://www.tessa.org/meeting_sponsorship.html)

((TESSA will still graciously accept your offer of doorprizes - please see
the above-mentioned link related to Sponsorships for more info.))

THE ART AND SCIENCE OF HAND ANALYSIS FOR TORNADO FORECASTING

This will be the Holy Grail of conference presentations from one of the godfathers of chasing. What fantastic news. Make sure you all get a front row seat.

Tim

For those of us unable to attend, will we be able to purchase a video of the presentations or at least obtain a copy of the dialogue? I would love to come but the event is in the middle of my quarter at Depaul and its a bit far from Chicago. Also, will the super storm spotter training be available on video like the stormwatch program is? Thanks.

I met Al Moller in the best way possible, while standing in a corn field under a mothership supercell in Royal, Nebraska in 2000. He is one of the most passionate people I have met about severe weather and has in my opinion the best tornado photograph I have ever seen (crystal-clear debris cloud swirling twister shot Pampa TX). If I was in TX or OK no way would I miss his talk.

The TESSA 2005 Texas Storm Conference presenters have been announced.

They are:

Louis Wicker, National Severe Storms Laboratory
Alan Moller, National Weather Service - Ft. Worth, Texas
Roger Edwards, Storm Prediction Center
Martin Lisius, Chairman, Texas Severe Storms Association
Gary Woodall, WCM, National Weather Service - Ft. Worth, Texas

The TSC will take place on Saturday, February 26 at the Bob Duncan Center in Arlington, Texas.

The all-day event will begin with the first-ever Super Storm Spotter (SSS) session, a uniquely advanced storm spotter training session designed for spotters who have attended National Weather Service basic and advanced training. The SSS session will feature the most advanced training available in the country. Spotters from across the region are expected to attend. Gary Woodall, WCM, National Weather Service - Ft. Worth, Texas, a primary developer of the storm spotter training system utilized nationwide, will present.

Afternoon presentations will be delivered by Alan Moller, National Weather Service - Ft. Worth, Texas; Roger Edwards, Storm Prediction Center; and Martin Lisius, Chairman, Texas Severe Storms Association.

The event will conclude with the feature presentation by Louis Wicker, National Severe Storms Laboratory.

To learn more, visit http://www.tessa.org/

The TESSA 2005 Texas Storm Conference is free and open to the public. Registration is not required but attendees should arrive early as seating is limited to 500.
TESSA T-shirts, decals and videos can be purchased at the TESSA table. Numerous vendors will be on-hand to sell their products.
TESSA Super Storm Spotter decals and T-shirts will be available at the TESSA table. These items will be exclusive to the 2005 TSC and will not be available for sale before or after the event.
This year's door prizes include radios, antennas, GPS, weather software, T-shirts and other items.

I went to last year's TESSA meeting and really enjoyed it! Al spoke there as well! I also had the privilage to meet him in a prechase meeting in North Platte on June 10, which I ended up spending too much time there, but was able to enjoy his comments on things. Definately worth heading down for as I intend to be down there again for this one the weekend after the Denver Chaser Convention!

Tim/Mods:

Any chance of having this thread or a new informational thread "stickied" for TESSA??? It is the premier chase convention/educational event for us Southern Plains dwellers......after all.

Just to be fair...

Gene

EDIT: Thanks!!!!!

Our motley crew (Chad Lawson, Mickey Ptak, and myself) will be there.

Sounds like a very good speaker line-up!!! I'm very sad that I am going to be missing it this year (I'll be down with the kangaroos enjoying warmer weather). Enjoy the conference!!

this will be my first time there and have some questions.
how many people do show up to these?if the sitting for 500 people are filled,what happens to the rest of us?
can we bring cameras and take pictures?alot of people that i read about and admire will be there.
is there any Do's and Don'ts that i should know about?i would hate to get in trouble the first day there.
thanks for everyones time and hope to meet everyone here there.

Originally posted by carey libby
this will be my first time there and have some questions.
how many people do show up to these?if the sitting for 500 people are filled,what happens to the rest of us?
can we bring cameras and take pictures?alot of people that i read about and admire will be there.
is there any Do's and Don'ts that i should know about?i would hate to get in trouble the first day there.
thanks for everyones time and hope to meet everyone here there.

Carey - thanks for your interest. It's wonderful to see you will be attending - you will be very welcome.

Nearly 300 people attended the 2004 TESSA in February 2003. While that's a lot - the new venue in Arlington can accommodation 500 and probably a little over that if people pack in.
If we get an attendance of 500 this coming February - it will be at capacity. I would expect attendance to be higher than the 2004 event but I would also expect the venue to be able to amply hold as many people as want to come. Don't worry - you will most certainly be accommodated for.

You are very welcome to bring your camera and snap away - there are no restrictions. All Martin Lisius (TESSA's Chairman) asks is that flash photography during the presentations is kept to a minimum (but it is still permitted at an acceptable level). You will probably see many people (for instance myself and Tim Marshall) videoing the event also. (Skip - you may want to make a mental note of this).

Also if you attend the after-event supper which will be held at a nearby venue in Arlington - you will have an unmissable chance to eat, drink and converse with all of us - including Al Moller and many other legends.

There are no "do's and dont's" as you put it - really the only thing that is asked is that everybody repsect the venue, mingle and make the most of firstly the presentations and secondly the numerous great vendor tables that will be set up. Most every chaser you will see will be very open to being met. Just please keep talking during presentations very sparse........we are all there to learn and many will be feverishly taking notes.

There will also be many doorprizes! Remember to take some raffle tickets in order to have a chance of leaving with one or more prizes!

If you have any other worries - please don't hesitate to contact me, my wife Karen (the TESSA volunteer in the house! :wink: ) or Martin Lisius via the http://www.tessa.org/ website.

Have a wonderful and peaceful Christmas, everybody.

..Gene..

http://www.weatherpix.com/
http://www.stormskies.com/

Originally posted by Shane Adams
Our motley crew (Chad Lawson, Mickey Ptak, and myself) will be there.

Awesome - great to see you're going to make it.

..Gene..

Back