2011 TESSA conference set for March 12

Join us for the biggest event in Tornado Alley!

The 2011 National Storm Conference
Saturday, March 12, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at Colleyville Center - Colleyville, Texas

The National Storm Conference is a full day of presentations from some of the top severe weather experts in the country. Storm spotters, chasers, forecasters, researchers, emergency managers and others gather at the conference for a day of learning and fun. It's free and open to the public, so come and join us for the biggest event in Tornado Alley!

The National Storm Conference is free and open to the public. Registration is not required. Arrive early, seating is limited.

Conference Overview Directions and Lodging Become a Conference Sponsor or Vendor

Give to TESSA and Severe Weather Education Alan R. Moller Severe Weather Education and Research Scholarship

The 2011 conference agenda will be posted at www.tessa.org later this year, so check there for updates.

Conference Co-Sponsors: American Meteorological Society, National Weather Association and the National Weather Service.

TESSA T-shirts, decals and videos can be purchased at the TESSA conference table. Weather vendors will be on-hand to sell their products.

William Reid and Martin Lisius

Here is a friendly reminder from your friends at TESSA regarding the 2011 conference --- which is coming up fast. Martin and I will provide additional details regarding speakers and topics soon. Here is a preliminary list of the speakers we have lined up:

Gary Woodall
Jenna Blum
Mark Fox
Greg Stumpf
Roger Edwards
Chris Novy

-------------------------------------------------------

INVITATION TO ATTEND - The 2011 National Storm Conference

Saturday, March 12, 9:00 am to 5:00 pm at Colleyville Center - Colleyville, Texas

The National Storm Conference is a full day of presentations from some of the top severe weather experts in the country. Storm spotters, chasers, forecasters, researchers, emergency managers and others gather at the conference for a day of learning and fun. It's free and open to the public, so come and join us for the biggest event in Tornado Alley!

The National Storm Conference is free and open to the public. Registration is not required. Arrive early, seating is limited.

Conference details at www.tessa.org

The National Storm Conference is presented by the Texas Severe Storms Association (TESSA) and co-sponsored by the National Weather Service - Ft. Worth, and the North Texas Chapters of the American Meteorological Society and National Weather Association. TESSA is a 501©3 non-profit dedicated to severe weather education since 1993.

Last edited by a moderator:
TESSA Alan R. Moller Severe Weather Education and Research College Scholarship

TESSA Alan R. Moller Severe Weather Education and Research College Scholarship

We will be offering the Alan R. Moller Severe Weather Education and Research College Scholarship in the amount of $500 again this year at the National Storm Conference on March 12 in Colleyville, Texas.

The scholarship will be awarded to the college that sends the most students, staff and/or faculty to the National Storm Conference, Texas, with a minimum of 20 attendees.

The winning college will receive and present the $500 award to one student who: (1) Possesses a GPA minimum of 3.0, and (2) Most exhibits a passion for and commitment to severe weather education and/or research.

Typical recipients of the award include but are not limited to students of meteorology, engineering and broadcasting.

The college will submit the name, photo and brief bio of the winning student within 60 days of the conference for publication on the TESSA web site.

Please let me know if you would like to take part in this exciting opportunity. Note: Group count will include only persons that arrive together at the conference site no later than 9:00 am Central Time with valid university student, staff and/or faculty ID.

Groups are encouraged to wear their school colors and bring a banner or flag.

Contact your alma mater and organize a winning group!

The National Storm Conference is free and open to the public. Registration is not required. Complete conference details at www.tessa.org

Martin Lisius
Chairman
TESSA
[email protected]
(817) 276-9500

(posted for Martin Lisius by TESSA trustee William Reid)

TESSA's National Storm Conference on March 12

The 2011 National Storm Conference

Conference Update

Agenda
The complete conference agenda is now on-line at http://tessa.org/agenda.html

Admission
Admission is free and there is no registration required. However, do arrive early as seating is limited to 500 (we hosted 450 attendees in 2010).

Lodging
Book your room now at Hyatt Place - Hurst. Ask for the special TESSA conference rate of just $79. This is a great rate for an excellent property close to the conference site. If you are in or near DFW and would not normally need lodging, consider booking a room anyway and making it a fun “stay-cation.â€￾ Details at http://tessa.org/meeting_directions_lodging.html

Full details about the 2011 National Storm Conference can be found on-line at www.tessa.org

One more reminder to everyone ---- the annual TESSA conference is this coming Saturday, March 12. It looks like severe weather chances will be near zero next weekend on the Plains, making your decision to attend an easy one!

Martin Lisius asked me to post the following here:
--------------------------

We will be offering a new TESSA DVD at the conference next week. The DVD
features Gary Woodall's 2010 Super Storm Spotter presentation which includes
Gary's secret on how to determine temp/dewpoint spreads without any instruments.
The video was shot on HD, but the conference copies will be on standard DVD. We
will take a hand count for folks interested in a Blu-ray version. As always,
this and other TESSA merchandise help fund the annual conference, which is free to
the public. Details at www.tessa.org

Martin

-----------------
William Reid
TESSA trustee

I noticed that a couple of links provided above are messed up.

Here is a link to the agenda for this Saturday's TESSA conference:

click here

and for the lodging and directions:

click here

and, of course, the TESSA homepage has all of the information and working links:

www.tessa.org

William Reid
TESSA trustee

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to give a quick "Thank you" to Martin and all that were involved in making the TESSA Conference a great success again this year. I had a great time networking and finally meeting some people in person. It was a very well run event and the presentations were outstanding. Gary and Jason's sessions were great as usual and Chris delivered on another exciting presentation. I especially enjoyed and was very interested in the presentation by Greg Stumpf. The NOAA testbed program along with the PAR and CASA radar systems really got my interest. The screen shots from the CASA radar experiment were nothing short of amazing to me. I can only imagine how much more successful lead times could be if these were in place throughout the region. I'm excited to hear that they are moving the system of radars to the DFW area for another test session. And lets not forget the Colter's BBQ, greatness:D

Anyone who has not been to one of Gary Woodalls training sessions has no idea how good they can be. THIS is what spotter advanced training should be. If you get the chance, don't miss it. Like Scott, I also really enjoyed the info shared by Greg Stumpf as Greg did a GREAT job of packing a ton of details into a very short time. He explained a lot of the inner workings of the Hazardous Weather Testbed in Norman and let you have an inside look at coming technologies. He also talked about how the NWS has to spend time thinking about how to relate the info to the general public, etc.

I was hoping that one of the speakers would spend time talking about Dual Polarity radar, what products it will offer, how to read them, etc. Basically, I was hoping for a live version of the training module! No such luck. BUT, I was able to buy another copy of "Warnings-The True Story of How Science Tamed the Weather" to replace the copy I loaned to a friend! Mike, thanks for signing it for me.

Jeff -- My pleasure.

Martin -- Great meeting. Thank you for letting me be part of it!

Back