SNOW in West Texas!

Wow, checking out the forecasts this morning, they have most of NW Texas under a Winter Weather Advisory for the next couple days. I can't remember the last time we had that this early. Might be nice to see it pan out. Time to fire up the heaters! :shock:

Wow, checking out the forecasts this morning, they have most of NW Texas under a Winter Weather Advisory for the next couple days. I can't remember the last time we had that this early. Might be nice to see it pan out. Time to fire up the heaters!

If you still lived up there you would be getting it soon!
I can't wait for it to snow here. It has been a long time since we had a decent snow storm.

Well, it is a little after 3 a.m. now and it's snowing like crazy here on the South Plains of Texas! Already about an inch on the ground at my house. Wind blew HARD most of Monday and still is blowing pretty good. It's a nice change. 8)

Here in Amarillo I have about 7-8 inches in my back yard but the NWS only has about 4-5 so far. it is still snowing heavy. The ground temps were well above freezing but with it coming down like this it didnt matter. Some roads in the area are closed and the plows are out in force. We had a ton of wrecks this morning (with me having to stop at most to work traffic) it took forever to get to work (about 2 1/2 hrs). I kept having to clean off my red/blue lights just so people could see me. We are now on the wrap around so hopefully by this afternoon it will start to end but we should get another 2 inches easily.

It's snowed on and off pretty heavily most of the day here. The ground temp is still up a little, so when it burst snows it piles up, then when it lets up it melts down. About 4 inches piled up on the grass but the roads aren't too bad here. Just looking at some of the area observations, looks like the area NW of LBB got worst hit. 8 foot drifts!! :shock: We only usually see a snowfall like this in west Texas 2 or 3 times a year. I got a gut feeling this is going to be one heck of a winter! Oh yeah there was some lightning/thunder mixed in around 5 a.m. this morning!

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AND CURRENT CONDITIONS AS OF 2 PM...

CASTRO COUNTY....12-13 INCHES...4-8 FOOT DRIFTS..LIGHT SNOW
BAILEY COUNTY....10-12 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
SWISHER COUNTY...4-12 INCHES...4-5 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LAMB COUNTY......9+ INCHES...3-4 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
HOCKLEY COUNTY...6-8 INCHES...3-5 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
COCHRAN COUNTY...6-7 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS
PARMER COUNTY....6 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
HALE COUNTY......5-6 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LYNN COUNTY......5-6 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
BRISCOE COUNTY...4-5 INCHES...3-7 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LUBBOCK COUNTY...2-4 INCHES...2-3 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
YOAKUM COUNTY....2-3 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
TERRY COUNTY.....2-3 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
CROSBY COUNTY....TRACE...LIGHT SNOW
FLOYD COUNTY.....TRACE...LIGHT SNOW

It's snowed on and off pretty heavily most of the day here. The ground temp is still up a little, so when it burst snows it piles up, then when it lets up it melts down. About 4 inches piled up on the grass but the roads aren't too bad here. Just looking at some of the area observations, looks like the area NW of LBB got worst hit. 8 foot drifts!! :shock: We only usually see a snowfall like this in west Texas 2 or 3 times a year. I got a gut feeling this is going to be one heck of a winter! Oh yeah there was some lightning/thunder mixed in around 5 a.m. this morning!

SNOWFALL AMOUNTS AND CURRENT CONDITIONS AS OF 2 PM...

CASTRO COUNTY....12-13 INCHES...4-8 FOOT DRIFTS..LIGHT SNOW
BAILEY COUNTY....10-12 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
SWISHER COUNTY...4-12 INCHES...4-5 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LAMB COUNTY......9+ INCHES...3-4 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
HOCKLEY COUNTY...6-8 INCHES...3-5 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
COCHRAN COUNTY...6-7 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS
PARMER COUNTY....6 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
HALE COUNTY......5-6 INCHES...3-6 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LYNN COUNTY......5-6 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
BRISCOE COUNTY...4-5 INCHES...3-7 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
LUBBOCK COUNTY...2-4 INCHES...2-3 FOOT DRIFTS...LIGHT SNOW
YOAKUM COUNTY....2-3 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
TERRY COUNTY.....2-3 INCHES...LIGHT SNOW
CROSBY COUNTY....TRACE...LIGHT SNOW
FLOYD COUNTY.....TRACE...LIGHT SNOW

Wow :shock:

Those are some pretty impressive totals, and that's coming from someone who lives in MI! LOL

ABC28 in Lubbock is reporting that 2/3 of the Lubbock metro area is currently without power. With the vegetation still on many of the trees the snow load is breaking a lot of them down on power lines. You taking probably 30-40,000 people without power!

AMARILLO:
Amarillo Average Snowfall for November, has it at 1.8. 1.9 and 2.0 inches
depending on source of data.

Amarillo Average Season Snowfall, is 15.3, 15.4 and 16.4 inches a year

LUBBOCK:
Lubbock: Normal Monthly Snowfall (based on data from 1971-2000)
OCT: 0.3" NOV: 1.6" DEC: 2.4" JAN: 3.0" FEB: 2.4" MAR: 0.5" APR:0.2" Season Total 10.4"

Lubbock Average Snowfall for November, has it at 1.2, 1.3 and 1.6 inches

Lubbock Average Season Snowfall Total, is 10.2. 10.3. and 10.4 inches

Mike

I measured 12 1/2 inches at my place when I got home from work today. Looks like it is finally breaking up. I have 2+ foot drifts in my back yard. The strees are melting but with temps around 26-27 tonight we should have a nice skating rink for the morning commute :shock: Not a bad storm for this early. The NWS missed this forecast as they called for a dusting Monday morning and just kept increasing it from 1-3 to 2-4 to 4-6 now 8-12+. This system was moving along and just stopped for about 12 hours in SW Texas.

I agree with David... looks like a long tough winter

Did any one take any pictures of the Texas Snow ??

I have only ever seen Texas in May / June and it is hard to think of that dry dusty place covered in snow – to save me looking it up - what is the elevation on Amarillo?

Did any one take any pictures of the Texas Snow ??

I have only ever seen Texas in May / June and it is hard to think of that dry dusty place covered in snow – to save me looking it up - what is the elevation on Amarillo?

Amarillo is around 3600 ft (or 1100 m) in elevation.

Wow this storm sounds like a huge mess. Wonder how it affected people getting out to vote????

Forgot to turn the heater on last night.....colder than all hell this morning!! Missed my 8am class and took to long to clean the snow/ice off of the truck which caused me to miss my 10am class......so my friend and I enjoyed breakfast tacos instead :lol: Roads were empty most the day as huge sticky flakes fell from the sky which melted on major roads causing 12in of water in all intersections on campus. This made walking around darn near impossible. All I can say is I am very happy I now have an SUV!!!

All in all it was a mess. I suspect that we will see more than they expect tonight as it is already snowing again and a high of 51 tomorrow......I kind of doubt it. But then again this is Lubbock....he he he

-graham butler

Back