Question: What is your favorite kind of Severe Weather?

Tornadoes. I have yet to get a daytime EF-5 (per damage survey) for the bucket list.
(I don't like a grungy warm-front, preferring sunny, warm-sector conditions beforehand.)
I also enjoy chasing a Colorado, cold-core setup and not getting rained or hailed on.

Last edited:
Tornadoes and Thunderstorms kinda all coincide into one for me... most whom have followed me for any period of time know I'm a big hail guy, so that definitely puts thunderstorms into the top mark. Tornadoes are a duh, so I'm going to put the two into one and call it my number 1. And photographing lightning, that's been my fave. Honestly, I could argue that being my favorite thing to do with storms. But again, since it's all kinda in the same group (I can get tornadoes, hail, and lightning out of thunderstorms), I'll just wrap it in.

Blizzards... that's an easy second place for me. Not sure how/why I've grown to love those so much, but there's nothing like a good snow storm. Ice storms are cool (no pun intended), but I think I'm a passive ice storm lover. They make for good photos, but it's a little, I don't know, boring...

Everything else kinda falls by the wayside... I don't go out of my way for big wind events and I certainly don't get it when it comes to tropical systems.

Thunderstorms are a top favorite (unless I'm driving somewhere, and then they become less enjoyable), particularly any with frequent lightning and/or rolling thunder (which I've experienced quite frequently in the Carolinas) along with tornadoes (even though I've never seen one). I'd like to be able to see a tornado at least once in my life as long as (a) I'm watching from a safe distance and (b) it's either a relatively weak one OR a stronger one that stays over open country. I would prefer not to see one that ends up being associated with death, destruction and loss. It would give me a terrible feeling afterward.

Back