General newbie questions (to be continued)

Thanks once again, Rob!

That U-shape was really quite persistent and I remember the tour guides were talking about it as a typical example of something so I am pretty sure it's not a temporary downdraft at least. Considering the SUPERCELL.jpg, where we are looking into that U-shape (with the tornado in the center of the U). Is that the same thing? I recall hearing references to horseshoe-shape in storms quite often but can't really place where that would be in a storm.

Regarding moderskeppet.jpg. I think I got it a bit wrong regarding where the rain would be. So, if I understand it correctly, we were probably standing somewhere around where the green arrow is on SUPERCELL.jpg (model picture). So, it is rather a gust front than the FFD that we see on the photo, right?

It looks very much like this: http://www.crh.noaa.gov/images/sgf/em/spotter_training/image010.gif and it seems logical that it would be a gust front. Although it doesn't appear to be a a perfect "shelf looking" cloud on my photo, isn't it the gust front where you would expect to find the shelf cloud?

I am really learning TONS from this!

The Forward Flanking Downdraft and Rear Flanking Downdraft can both fan out with shelf cloud gust fronts. A rear flanking downdraft will often make a wall cloud fan out into more of a shelf cloud. The rear flanking downdraft clear slot often punches a nice hole through the updraft base and then fans out into the region where the wall cloud might be.

Your moderskeppet shot shows a rainy downdraft and surrounding gust front clouds. Whether this is from the forward flank of any type of storm, or the rear flank of a supercell isn't very obvious in the photograph. It could be a mediocre storm, complex, or an HP supercell.

I did a talk for spotters recently and was trying to stress situational awareness on supercells. I often use the RFD clear slot and the horseshoe shaped RFD gust front as a guide to get my bearings on where I'm located relative to the storm and from where the tornado might form.

Here's a classic hook echo:
1978745_10100895626279771_833813734_n.jpg

The ball at the end of the hook, while commonly referred to as a debris ball, is usually or mostly just precipitation within the rear flanking downdraft and not debris (unless you've got dual pol data that says otherwise). This ball of rain, punches a donut hole in the updraft base of the storm, and then fans out in the forward direction of the storm making a backwards C or horseshoe shape. If you draw a line around the forward part of this ball, you're drawing where the rear flanking gust front is. This can be seen visually in the storm structure.

I've drawn a blue line around the rear flanking downdraft using the end of the hook echo as a guide. This blue line translates to a feature we can see visually on the storm as a rear flanking gust front. The tornado most often, but not always, forms at the top of this horseshoe shaped gust front. I put an orange triangle where the tornado most often occurs on a textbook supercell.

It took me about a dozen times seeing these shapes visually in the field before they really sunk in, so I thought I would show a bunch of examples here to get kind of a general theme going. In each, I've translated the blue line from the above radar scan to the structure we see visually in photographs. These are different storms than from the above radar scan, but they all presented on radar with recognizable hook echoes (unless otherwise states).

1011608_10100895627701921_233229949_n.jpg

Looking north at the most textbook example I've seen in the field. We are south of the hook, looking due north at it. A violent EF4 tornado is located right at the top of the horseshoe shaped rear flanking gust front, right where it should be.

1383338_10100895626409511_730399387_n.jpg

Another textbook example. Again, looking north at the southern end of the hook at a horseshoe shaped rear flanking downdraft gust front (blue). The RFD clear slot is the hole in the clouds behind or left of this blue line.

1924853_10100895626249831_180389237_n.jpg

If there is no tornado, but we have the same horseshoe shaped gust front present, we can guess where a tornado is most likely to form:

1966783_10100895626254821_1749216564_n.jpg

Indeed a several tornadoes formed in that location a few minutes later.

Even if there is no wall cloud present, we can still identify the likely location of a tornado if the RFD clear slot and horseshoe shaped RFD gust front are present:
10011505_10100895626664001_359178911_n.jpg

Looking WSW from ENE of the hook.

The RFD clear slot as it's first presented as a donut hole in the updraft base, followed by the rear flanking downdraft expanding a few minutes later. Looking north:
1921890_10100895627537251_126908445_n.jpg

1901724_10100895627602121_1946065408_n.jpg

This storm did not produce a tornado, mainly because it occurred in Iowa. But we'd have a good idea of where one might have formed thanks to the prominent RFD clear slot and horseshoe shaped base.

How about from other angles? Looking south from inside the forward flanking precipitation core where the hail is coming down:
1456587_10100895627891541_1776863511_n.jpg

How about from behind the hook echo looking east? This view is usually blocked by rain, but sometimes on a classic or LP supercell you can look right at the back side of an RFD clear slot and horseshoe shaped RFD gust front with a view of a tornado:
1959417_10100895626843641_416912155_n.jpg

Looking east, toward the backend of a hook echo. This is a difficult spotting position, since the horseshoe isn't immediately obvious and just looks like a bank of convection. It's there though. it's generally a safer position too since the storm is most likely moving directly away from you, so it's less of a concern trying to identify it here.

How about on a high precipitation supercell? From east of the hook looking west, the horseshoe shape isn't very obvious since we're looking at it head on and can't see the curvature very well. The clear slot is also not clear, and is filled with rain.
1957966_10100895626738851_1314277963_n.jpg

I think most folks not well acquainted with supercell structure would assume the tornado would be in in the darkest part of the storm, on the right side of the image. This is actually the forward flanking precipitation core, the area north of the hook echo. You can, however, make out the curvature of the RFD gust front in this photo, and use it to trace a line where that horseshoe shape should be. You'd also know this if you had a radar scan and knew you were looking west toward at a hook echo.
1510548_10100895626753821_1609449611_n.jpg

The tornado is most likely to be at the top of the horseshoe, in the lighter shades of rain in this photo. This shot is an example of why I think chasers who panic may pick escape routes that aren't the safest. They cut south across the path of a potential tornado since the area to the south looks less severe than the area to the north, even though the lighter colored bands of rain within the RFD represent the most hazardous part of the storm.

Same storm looking north as the storm passes to our north:
538039_10100895626788751_13165973_n.jpg

1925303_10100895626798731_1331419015_n.jpg

Looks just like a typical shelf cloud doesn't it? It pretty much is. You can't easily make out the horseshoe shape because the clear slot is filled with rain. We can assume it's there though because we know we're looking north at a hook echo thanks to our radar scan. Follow the curvature of the rear flanking gust front to figure out where this horseshoe shape is. From this we'd guess this tornado would be buried within the rain of the RFD, and indeed they usually are on HPs.

A tricky HP, looking west:
1902965_10100895627971381_756060895_n.jpg

Try to find the curving rear flanking downdraft gust front since we don't have an obvious horseshoe shape here. Use the barrel shaped mesocyclone above the gust front as a guide for where it might be. Use the wall cloud and tail cloud as additional clues. The wall cloud and tail cloud point away from where the tornado and top of the horseshoe shaped gust front should be. Follow them in to the base of the storm:
1489100_10100895628011301_1059296329_n.jpg

Don't assume your tornado will always be there. They can form under the thick part of that wall cloud to the right. They can also form anywhere along that blue line, and also under adjacent updraft bases north and south of this blue line:
1536669_10100895628041241_1094024763_n.jpg

Anticyclonic funnels and tornadoes form on the southern/bottom end of the horseshoe shaped RFD gust front:
1522090_10100895626344641_70898005_n.jpg

1982046_10100895626604121_961741925_n.jpg

The El Reno supercell, looking northeast toward a rain obscure horseshoe shaped RFD gust front as an anticyclonic tornado is forming (right), the area where I'd expect the cyclonic tornado is marked by the orange arrow (left):
1484120_10100895627377571_1732820549_n.jpg

Textbook looking northwest:
1959842_10100895627417491_176590510_n.jpg

Textbook looking north:
1969284_10100895627866591_1853163016_n.jpg

Of course not every storm is textbook, and not every storm presents a horseshoe shaped gust front. Most do not. Here's a weird storm, looking west:
1966847_10100895628175971_565300876_n.jpg

Is that a wall cloud? Where is the horseshoe shape? Does it wrap around that lowered area, or extend more to the right?
1557626_10100895628180961_1262248344_n.jpg

The answer is that I don't know! This storm was not warned and did not produce a tornado, but I don't underestimate it either. I don't have my bearings on this storm so I give it a wide berth and don't drive underneath it.

A more linear looking gust front is usually associated with a linear bow echo. Weak tornadoes are possible, but damaging straight line winds and gustnadoes are much more likely:
1911899_10100895626289751_1453518105_n.jpg

1966865_10100895626294741_1593080891_n.jpg

1978881_10100895626868591_1247425146_n.jpg

60279_10100895627652021_328983186_n.jpg

If your squall line or bow echo does have a curved or horseshoe shaped base or gust front, treat this as a supercellular RFD gust front. You might have an embedded supercell, and tornadoes do form within kinks in these lines.

How about this messy HP looking west?
1978748_10100895628056211_2141425226_n.jpg

It's junky and outflowy so a tornado might not be imminent but we have plenty of clues to guess where it might be. Look for that curving RFD gust front and follow the pointy tail clouds into the base:

1239038_10100895628091141_1336800748_n.jpg

Most storms will present with mediocre gust fronts, and most of these do not produce tornadoes. The good news is that large, violent tornadoes usually present textbook hook echoes and supercell structure with RFD clear slots and horseshoe shaped RFD gust fronts. El Reno for example:
10002996_10100895626963401_1236705746_n.jpg

Initially difficult to discern from a distance due to the HP state of the storm, but the faint RFD gust front could be made out. Look at the barrel meso above it and follow that tail cloud in for clues though:

1962762_10100895627018291_608468955_n.jpg

Closer to the storm, the structure was exquisitely textbook:
1964794_10100895627242841_598519925_n.jpg

14573_10100895627322681_1513865118_n.jpg

Don't rely on the wall cloud. It's not always there. Don't rely on your supercell schematics either. Every storm is different. Try and find some landmarks to help you identify FFD from RFD: horseshoe shaped gust fronts, barrel shaped updraft towers and mesocyclones, clear slots, wall clouds and tail clouds, shelf clouds, and hook echoes. On many storms these features are not obvious, and these are the ones to be careful around, not underestimate, and admit you don't have situational awareness.

I'm sort of a newbie, cause everything i knew a few days ago has been wiped clean by the massive consumption of alchohol...so what i want to know is: what is the exact role of the RFD in tornadogenesis? Now wishy-washy answers or resorts to non-linear equations either--i want a clear cut graphic, preferably with some little cows drawn in for good measure. And hurry up, cause i have to move on to the next order of business, which is to submit my bracket so i can win 1 billion buckaroos. :confused:

Awesome stuff Skip! I have been chasing over 15 years and still found your marked up shots to be very helpful examples. Thanks for taking the time to put this post together!

Yes, a great set of images from Skip, as always.

I think the main thing to grasp (and it's very clear from the imagery Skip has posted) is that whenever you contemplate the supercell and its structure, you're considering the idealised conceptual models...i.e. high precip (HP), classic, low precip (LP). OK, these are great starting points, but it's rare to spot a storm which looks exactly like these, or can be compartmentalised into one of these 'bins'. In reality there is a spectrum of storm types, and many storms can morph from one 'type' to another.

Add into the mix that, fairly frequently, supercell storms will also have a tendency to become more multicellular from time to time, especially as they can go through cycles, as precip intensity waxes and wanes.

As far as storm motion is concerned, I think you need to be clear about what is meant by this. Most chasers would probably agree that the real motion we're interested in is the updraught motion, rather than where the bulk of the precip will go (although, of course, the latter is very important when planning your route around the storm to the 'area of interest'). For example, the updraught area of the Jarrell, Texas, storm of May 27th, 1997, effectively moved to the south-west, as storm-scale and mesoscale interactions dictated. Such deviant motions can suddenly increase the effective inflow. What starts are marginal wind shear in the free atmosphere can quickly become supportive of supercells and tornadoes if highly deviant storm motion occurs. An example may be where the atmosphere is capped to most convection, but persistent lift along a shallow surface boundary (e.g. an old outflow boundary) helps an updraught to get going - the updraught can then effectively 'ride' along that boundary - precipitation in the core will generate outflow which can steer the area of inflow in seemingly odd directions.

Skip, this was INCREDIBLE!!! As a guy whose got lots of "book smarts" learning about storms but doesn't get out to chase as much due to family/work..one of my biggest struggles is translating the book knowledge, diagrams, etc to real world..your examples here are a GREAT guide and I'm gonna go back thru all my old storm photos and see if I can identify these items and see how good/bad my targeting was. Thanks!!!!

I've been chasing for a couple years now and was always a little confused as to why the clear slot was directly behind the RFD, but that post by Skip cleared up almost all confusions I had about structure. IMO Skip is one of the most valuable members on this forum, and there isn't a like button anymore, so thank you, Skip.

This brings me to my "newbie" question. What kind of winds should you expect to feel on the ground if you are right in front of the RFD? Cool westerlies from the RFD gust front, or warm southerlies/southeasterlies being sucked into the inflow? It seems like both could be happening in front of the hook, which is where my confusion arises. I know analyzing surface winds while out in the field chasing is a very valuable tool. This is one thing I probably know the least about. In general, how do surface winds interact with the supercell near the RFD, and what kind of clues can these give in determining storm mode, motion, longevity, etc.?

What kind of winds should you expect to feel on the ground if you are right in front of the RFD? Cool westerlies from the RFD gust front, or warm southerlies/southeasterlies being sucked into the inflow? It seems like both could be happening in front of the hook, which is where my confusion arises. I know analyzing surface winds while out in the field chasing is a very valuable tool. This is one thing I probably know the least about. In general, how do surface winds interact with the supercell near the RFD, and what kind of clues can these give in determining storm mode, motion, longevity, etc.?

Here are the winds as I interpret them near the hook:
1508643_10100896268762231_1368299179_n.jpg

The winds shift from SE to W as the hook overtakes you. There is often a calm between the two regions and the change can be very abrupt. The inflow notch may feature severe inflow, or it could be calm. Sometimes the inflow appears to flow above the surface in this region, or it can be channeled as an intense jet at the surface.

Near the tornado the inflow and RFD spiral into the tornado and can be focused into rear inflow jets, a dangerous and damaging feature that may appear as a line of grey mist.

A colder or dryer RFD may be an indicator of less tornado potential, whereas the buoyancy provided by a warmer, moister RFD may provide the low level instability that enhances tornadic potential. A storm exhibiting inflow winds into low cloud structures of the updraft base such as wall clouds, tail clouds, and beaver tails, may be a sign of strengthening supercells more favorable for tornadoes.

The RFD often overtakes the FFD. The inflow notch gets pinched off and becomes a mini occluded front at this point. Tornadogenesis is usually underway at this point or may be just starting. If it does not occur soon, it may be a sign that the storm has less potential to produce a tornado in the near future since the updraft has been cut off from warm moist inflow at the surface (it may still be drawing inflow above the surface). Don't bet your safety on this! Storms do what they want and may rapidly form new updrafts.

Last edited by a moderator:
A colder or dryer RFD may be an indicator of less tornado potential, whereas the buoyancy provided by a warmer, moister RFD may provide the low level instability that enhances tornadic potential. A storm exhibiting inflow winds into low cloud structures of the updraft base such as wall clouds, tail clouds, and beaver tails, may be a sign of strengthening supercells more favorable for tornadoes.

I think I remember hearing one of the preliminary findings from V2 is that RFD T/Td might not be as important to tornadogenesis as previously thought.

Also, can one *ride* the ghost train, if they're so inclined? ;)

Regarding the OP's Question #13:

"13. LP's have winds moving into the system, bringing them aloft (and HP) quite the opposite. This must mean that LP's have winds going out from the system aloft, right? I mean, the wind has to go somewhere? So, the winds moving into the system are surface or low level winds, is that correct?"

Yes, in general, surface winds will flow in towards the center of low pressure. Since the air is rising, that mass has to be evacuated. The more efficient that air is evacuated, the more that low pressure will be sustained and even strengthen. A mechanism for this would be upper level divergence associated with a jet stream. Remember, the ingredient of "lift" can be aided by both lower-level convergence and upper-level divergence. Absent this, the low pressure may begin to "fill in" and weaken.

Skip, this was INCREDIBLE!!! As a guy whose got lots of "book smarts" learning about storms but doesn't get out to chase as much due to family/work..one of my biggest struggles is translating the book knowledge, diagrams, etc to real world..your examples here are a GREAT guide and I'm gonna go back thru all my old storm photos and see if I can identify these items and see how good/bad my targeting was. Thanks!!!!

Exactly my thoughts, great and very useful post! Outside of just being an awesome post, two things stand out:

- Just the quantity of examples is soooo useful! Since no storm is like the other one it is really, really helpful to get lots of examples in order to really get it.

- It is a very good idea, as you did, to start with a photo without the markers in them in order to first try to figure it out by yourself.

Thanks also to Mike for clarifying my question about low and high pressure!

My last remaining questions (for this time) that has yet to be answered. The second one being the more important.

* Regarding downbursts. As far as I understand downbursts are not a continuous part of a storm but rather something that happens when a part of the storm collapse and bring a huge chunk of air to the ground? Or, could a downburst go on for a long time in a storm?

* Is it possible to see what was observed from a storm after the storm. Like, if I want to check the "results" of a storm the day after. I'm thinking those kind of things that can be seen on GR LevelX (tornadoes reported, rotating wall clouds, hail size of x etc)? I don't have GR or RadarScope at the moment but I am trying to purchase RadarScope (it's a big hassle actually).

My last remaining questions (for this time) that has yet to be answered. The second one being the more important.

* Regarding downbursts. As far as I understand downbursts are not a continuous part of a storm but rather something that happens when a part of the storm collapse and bring a huge chunk of air to the ground? Or, could a downburst go on for a long time in a storm?

* Is it possible to see what was observed from a storm after the storm. Like, if I want to check the "results" of a storm the day after. I'm thinking those kind of things that can be seen on GR LevelX (tornadoes reported, rotating wall clouds, hail size of x etc)? I don't have GR or RadarScope at the moment but I am trying to purchase RadarScope (it's a big hassle actually).

I will take a crack at sharing my own understanding, but take it with a grain of salt; others more knowledgeable than me may very well have a different view:

Downbursts: DownDRAFTS go on for a long time; a thunderstorm by definition has to have updrafts and downdrafts. Hence the FFD and RFD. Downdrafts can visually manifest themselves as a "rain foot," where you see rain pushing out from the storm in a wedge shape - i.e., rain is falling in an area that is displaced from the cloud that the rain is falling from. DownBURSTS, however, would tend to be of shorter duration, analogous to a wind gust compared to a sustained wind. Remember nothing is static in a storm though, it is constantly morphing.

Post-Storm Analysis: this SPC page enables you to see tornado, high wind and large hail reports on a map. Once you have a map up for the desired period, you can also click on a Google Maps link that overlays the reports in the exact area and you can zoom in to a very detailed level: http://www.spc.noaa.gov/climo/online/

RadarScope shows severe reports that would include the above, as well as (I think) wall or funnel clouds, but I don't think they are available for very long, because RadarScope is meant to be a real-time tool. Be sure to also check chasers' reports here on Stormtrack.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Back