Positioning for best view of tornadoes

Usually we hedge our position and view from the southeast. Figure it is the best combination of safety and viewing. If an HP will not allow viewing from the southeast, then we try to tell ourselves there will be other storms. From the south or southwest is arguably even safer, and the views can be incredible, but viewing could be cut off by debris and or LEO more likely from that direction. High reward, high risk, as Jeff D writes. I like his entire direction by direction above.

As always there are exceptions. We rarely view from the northeast, and never to look into an HP. However if a Classic is WSW of us and we are safely east of it, we might view from the east or ENE. Two escape routes in different directions is prudent. Position allows one to sit in place without frequent repos as it eventually tracks to our northwest.

Related, make sure the entire chase team agrees on viewing angle. One can get into some sticky debates on navigation etc. However if the angle is agreed upon, those conversations are much easier. Also agree on general viewing distance, even if it is a compromise. These topics are of particular importance if nowcasting for somebody else. In that case, the nowcaster should do it the way the chaser in the field chases. We do not have to nowcast much anymore, with robust data networks. However it still comes up occasionally.

We rarely view from the northeast, and never to look into an HP. However if a Classic is WSW of us and we are safely east of it, we might view from the east or ENE. Two escape routes in different directions is prudent. Position allows one to sit in place without frequent repos as it eventually tracks to our northwest.

A long time ago I asked Mike Hollingshead about this and he suggested to be "in the notch" where you're looking at the tornado to the SW or SSW and it's coming at you, but with a Classic SC you're usually flirting with the edge of the big hail and you have to be on your toes, so exercise due diligence if you go there. Other than that, it's covered really well above.

Out of personal preference, I stay SE of storms and usually a few miles away. I don't have the knowledge yet to get close and feel safe, but I'm ok with that.

I'm more of a structure and lightning guy anyway. Tors are just gravy for me.

Back