NOLA prison riot; hostages taken, including children

Unrelated, but equally eye-catching: from CNN headline -- "Reports of shootings, carjackings and looting in the area near the Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, a policeman tells CNN. "

Unrelated, but equally eye-catching: from CNN headline -- "Reports of shootings, carjackings and looting in the area near the Louisiana Superdome, New Orleans, a policeman tells CNN. "

haha carjackings, like they are going to get very far

Silly prisoners. You don't riot in a disaster like this. In most circumstances, the state troopers would arrive, wait them out for a while, talk, negotiate, etc. Maybe storm the prison if needed.

There are men, in camo, with M-16 and tanks who might show up at the front door to the prison. Silly prisoners.

that latter is probably whats going to happen, they will say calm down or will are going to kill you. i can see martial law taking over in some spots

Silly prisoners. You don't riot in a disaster like this. In most circumstances, the state troopers would arrive, wait them out for a while, talk, negotiate, etc. Maybe storm the prison if needed.

There are men, in camo, with M-16 and tanks who might show up at the front door to the prison. Silly prisoners.

that latter is probably whats going to happen, they will say calm down or will are going to kill you. i can see martial law taking over in some spots

Nobody said they were smart...they are in prison after all :?

The warden won't put up with this for long. There will be another 500 NG troops deployed there soon, with the long guns and extra mags.

I seriously think before things are over, that WILL happen... you'll have the National Guard stepping in, and perhaps calming people down with M-16 fire. Its sad that it might come to that, but it seems like some of the people (from the prisoners to the looters) won't listen to anything else...

Why isn't martial law declared already in New Orleans? What are they waiting for?

Uhm, martial law was declared already, earlier today. It's been in effect all day. The troops just aren't there to bust the skulls and get things working again... yet.

Ryan,

That's what I thought too... However, someone interviewed a Jefferson county official who said that martial law hasn't been officially declared yet. He said that NO is operating in a manner much like martial law, but there are legalities involved (see the post above yours) that may have been reasons why martial law hasn't been officially declared yet. Judging from the crime spree going on now, I'm sure it won't be long.

One of the big problems now is that police vehicles are starting to run low on gasoline. Without power and with gas already short, filling up those police cars (or Nat'l Guard vehicles) is becoming an issue.

One of the big problems now is that police vehicles are starting to run low on gasoline. Without power and with gas already short, filling up those police cars (or Nat'l Guard vehicles) is becoming an issue.

NO city vehicles, yes....NG vehicles, no. They bring their own diesel for the humvee's, duece 'n a half's and the big Oshkosh's.

Well, or as a local reporter is putting it, there may be looters in the streets right now, but there won't be many streets left by tomorrow.

Martial Law is only a rumor, it has not been (and I doubt will be) declared.

This is from VOA (Voice of America) about three hours ago:

"Louisiana television stations report that some parts of New Orleans have been put under martial law after looting broke out across the city. "

I just wish they had th manpower to be more strict. The looting infuriates me. I can understand (sort of) people stealing diapers, formula, and food. But the rest is nuts.

Back