New incar wi-fi setup

The difference is you don't have to mess with tethering the phone. Thats a huge advantage, as setting up a bluetooth/usb modem, dialing in, and then redialing once you lose the connection is a huge pain in the butt. The AutoNet is supposed to handle all that for you, and automatically redial when your signal is lost. All you do is connect to it like it were a regular wifi hotspot. Its supposed to be a much more stable connection, and with no compatibility issues. All you need is wifi. If AutoNet is truly as good as it sounds, I'll be jumping on board when my cell contract is up. The technology we use to get data in the field is changing so rapidly and it just keeps getting better and better.

The difference is you don't have to mess with tethering the phone. Thats a huge advantage, as setting up a bluetooth/usb modem, dialing in, and then redialing once you lose the connection is a huge pain in the butt. The AutoNet is supposed to handle all that for you, and automatically redial when your signal is lost. All you do is connect to it like it were a regular wifi hotspot. Its supposed to be a much more stable connection, and with no compatibility issues. All you need is wifi. If AutoNet is truly as good as it sounds, I'll be jumping on board when my cell contract is up. The technology we use to get data in the field is changing so rapidly and it just keeps getting better and better.

Yes and it will only getting better from here on out! I am fairly certain that high speed internet will be available in all cars within the next few years via other means.

That was exactly the experience my wife and I had with Autonet. If we ever lost signal, which wasn't often outside of remote SE Colo., we'd just wait a few minutes, see if the blue light was on indicating a connection, and then re-open a browser at the most.

Autonet

As Kevin mentioned, the Autonet rig is very automated, so it connects and stays that way...reconnecting automatically for you if a signal is lost, so you never have to mess with redialing, etc. Just plug it in and open your browser or radar viewer. On our trips, we simply keep the unit plugged in all of the time, so you can hop on in an instant anytime you want. A quick check of the blue LED tells you right away. The other benefit should be coverage: it uses multiple cell phone providers, so you have the benefit of the Verizon, Sprint, and Nextel coverage areas all in one. I remember Kevin mentioning dropping a simple voice call on the road, while the Autonet unit was still cruising right along. He also mentioned coverage in super-rural southeastern CO was in/out at times (in the Commanche Nat'l Grasslands for example), but as soon as you approached the smallest of towns you were back online in a flash without having to work a cell phone. I've typically had good luck with my cell phone rig over the years, but this unit is really in a different league in terms of consistency and simplicity from what I have had in the past.

I use tethering with Verizon simply because you can turn it on and off as a feature as you like, and it works on Alltel/Sprint/Verizon networks. It has the same data capability as this mobile unit. The software is pretty good about reconnecting and only gives up if you're out of data range for a while. But that can be annoying when you don't realize it has happened.

I only have to reboot my laptop for one thing these days, and it's when the connection software goes haywire or I have to use my phone to make a call without 'dosconnecting' it from the software first. Then it usually doesn't work and I have to reboot, restart bluetooth, restart all apps, activate GPS, etc... If this mobile unit is $60/month or less for month to month (Which I honestly doubt it will be), then it would be worth it right there to have a wifi device that my laptop (or anyone else's in the car) doesn't have to maintain. I'll be keeping my eye on this one also.

Dave could you please email me the contact info for the autonet people. I would love to talk to them and see what we can do to make our products work together to make life easy on the end user

As Kevin mentioned, the Autonet rig is very automated, so it connects and stays that way...reconnecting automatically for you if a signal is lost, so you never have to mess with redialing, etc. Just plug it in and open your browser or radar viewer. On our trips, we simply keep the unit plugged in all of the time, so you can hop on in an instant anytime you want. A quick check of the blue LED tells you right away. The other benefit should be coverage: it uses multiple cell phone providers, so you have the benefit of the Verizon, Sprint, and Nextel coverage areas all in one. I remember Kevin mentioning dropping a simple voice call on the road, while the Autonet unit was still cruising right along. He also mentioned coverage in super-rural southeastern CO was in/out at times (in the Commanche Nat'l Grasslands for example), but as soon as you approached the smallest of towns you were back online in a flash without having to work a cell phone. I've typically had good luck with my cell phone rig over the years, but this unit is really in a different league in terms of consistency and simplicity from what I have had in the past.

Autonet

The Autonet router has a TNC-female antenna connection, so external antennas need a TNC male end or adapter. A separate TNC-male/TNC-male cable will connect the router to my Peak Reception amp. When Kevin ran the unit through the plains I didn't have the cable for the amplifier yet...he ran with an external antenna only; the amplifier would probably narrow the very few dead spots he encountered even more. I took the amp with me from VA to FL hoping to test it out with the Autonet router, but I never ran out of coverage to begin with, so I didn't get a real chance to test it. Ramping up the power in extended areas on what is already an impressive system should be even better.

I will get on Cyfre to TNC Male to TNC Male cable .In the meantime I know they have them at www.eur-am.com

emale antenna connection, so external antennas need a TNC male end or adapter. A separate TNC-male/TNC-male cable will connect the router to my Peak Reception amp. When Kevin ran the unit through the plains I didn't have the cable for the amplifier yet...he ran with an external antenna only; the amplifier would probably narrow the very few dead spots he encountered even more. I took the amp with me from VA to FL hoping to test it out with the Autonet router, but I never ran out of coverage to begin with, so I didn't get a real chance to test it. Ramping up the power in extended areas on what is already an impressive system should be even better.[/QUOTE]

The Autonet router has a TNC-female antenna connection, so external antennas need a TNC male end or adapter. A separate TNC-male/TNC-male cable will connect the router to my Peak Reception amp. When Kevin ran the unit through the plains I didn't have the cable for the amplifier yet...he ran with an external antenna only; the amplifier would probably narrow the very few dead spots he encountered even more. I took the amp with me from VA to FL hoping to test it out with the Autonet router, but I never ran out of coverage to begin with, so I didn't get a real chance to test it. Ramping up the power in extended areas on what is already an impressive system should be even better.

Dave if you are still reading this thread - check your private messages please.

I still can't seem to get an answer to the question that I'm sure others are wondering; will people who are signing up for the service be required to sign a year or 2 contract or, like Weather Worx, can we turn it on and off so we aren't paying for a service we don't use during winter?

I've e-mailed the company, I think twice, now and can't seem to get an answer. I'm wondering if maybe that hasn't yet been worked out by the company? The answer to that question will determine if I get it or not. I'm really hoping that they don't follow in the footstep of cell phone companies that forces their customers to sign a 1-2 yr contract.

Final Autonet coverage

Steve returned from his trip to the OH valley and upper Midwest, and coverage was good there too. Here is a summary: bombproof thru OH/KY/IN/IL...he didn't notice the blue LED ever flickering enroute. Wisconsin coverage was also complete. Intercepted a svr cell west of the Twin Cities(nice green shelf cloud) and said that GR3 was blazing. Southern half of MN was covered. He noted some spottiness in coverage north of Brainerd(which is as far as he made it and didn't get to really test it thoroughly) and some gaps in the U-P of Michigan. He indicated the rest of MI was great, down I-75 and then westward toward Lake Michigan.

I'll try to post a brief summary of everything I have noticed about using the unit shortly. It it impressive.

I still can't seem to get an answer to the question that I'm sure others are wondering; will people who are signing up for the service be required to sign a year or 2 contract or, like Weather Worx, can we turn it on and off so we aren't paying for a service we don't use during winter?

I've e-mailed the company, I think twice, now and can't seem to get an answer. I'm wondering if maybe that hasn't yet been worked out by the company? The answer to that question will determine if I get it or not. I'm really hoping that they don't follow in the footstep of cell phone companies that forces their customers to sign a 1-2 yr contract.

They emailed me back concerning several questions but ignored the one about the contract. When I emailed them back on that subject they never responded. Sounds like they either don't know or are not saying. Sort of strange.

Will be anxious to see if the release date is pushed back.

Back