New incar wi-fi setup

Cingular is currently the largest network. My friend Gene uses it and he can hold a connection for hours almost anywhere. Much better than my Verizon. It is also much faster than Verizon as he has broadband 100K+ almost anywhere - even out in the boonies.

I think any serious tool such as this would be required to also utilize the Cingular network; otherwise there will be problems and holes in coverage.

I don't know Bill, I don't know if it was the Nextel merger of the new roaming agreement with Alltel, or the new towers, or a combination of them all, but Sprint has TREMENDOUSLY improved areas where we have data. In fact, I have found VERY FEW and SMALL holes so far in Texas this year. And this is in areas across the rolling plains where we had NADA before. Needless to say, I have been very impressed with Sprint's efforts in that area.

Looking at the map on that company Jay posted, I am fairly sure that is a Sprint map.

I contacted AutoNet a month or two ago. I was interested in it, but wasn't going to preorder it if it was going to end up coming out after I was already done chasing anyway. I also asked about contracts.

They gave me a blanket reply with all of the EXACT same information that's on the main page of their site.

Based on that interaction and lack of individual detail, I won't be preordering like I had planned. It was clear I had already visited the site, since I used the form on their site to contact them. So, why would I want the same information I had already read?

I don't know Bill, I don't know if it was the Nextel merger of the new roaming agreement with Alltel, or the new towers, or a combination of them all, but Sprint has TREMENDOUSLY improved areas where we have data. In fact, I have found VERY FEW and SMALL holes so far in Texas this year. And this is in areas across the rolling plains where we had NADA before. Needless to say, I have been very impressed with Sprint's efforts in that area.

Looking at the map on that company Jay posted, I am fairly sure that is a Sprint map.

I'm not really up on the latest with Sprint. I know I used to not like them, but sounds like that could have changed. I guess I'm just impressed with Cingular compared to what with my Verizon setup. Gene only pays $25/month unlimited data too. I know Cingular since it's merger with AT&T now claims the largest network. From that I am assuming it would be desirable to include them. Guess we'll have to see how this thing develops. If they can make a box that would truly work with all these networks that would really be sweet.

As for me and Verizon....it works ok for me. My data comes out of my voice minutes with no roaming or long distance. They no longer offer my arrangement. I use it because it works. It's a bit slower but the tech is stable. There are definite holes though in the areas in remote parts of Tx that drive me crazy. Probably I should switch to another provider, but I'd have to do the whole new contract, new equipment, and new set up and troubleshooting. Usually nowadays I mostly just do my detailed forecast in advance and know where I want to go. Along the way I can pick up an occasional wifi signal for free if I wish. If I really want an internet product I can usually connect and get something. Threatnet in the background lets me know what's generally happening, and helps also in navigation. Gene runs internet on the side a lot though using other radar products to interrogate a cell to see what it looks like compared to the Threatnet blobs. There is certainly value in this from my experience.

Autonet Mobile

Kevin Myatt & I are headed out on May 13th leading a group from Virginia Tech thru the end of the month(just in time to enjoy the giant ridge now showing up in the GFS). I contacted the Autonet folks back in the winter, and they are providing us with a router to test for them while we are on the road(due to arrive this week). We will report coverage holes, etc. back to them. Like Jay who posted this thread, we can post a coverage review on ST since we may roll through the OH & TN Valleys on the way for chasers there. Here are some more details about the system (it evidently uses Verizon/Sprint/Nextel infrastructure):

http://www.macworld.com/news/2007/01/03/autonet/index.php

As Jay mentioned earlier, I think they are running a bit behind trying to produce units and are currently really busy. It took a while to reach someone (I e-mailed and called), but when I did get through they were extremely nice and easy to work with.

We also use Verizon Wireless, and will continue with that this year with a couple of Gordon Spencer's Max Signal amps, which have been impressive in local test runs here in VA. In years past, we've had a connection when we needed it with Verizon.

We will be driving two minivans with "VT" logos on the back. Find us and check out the rig if you like, and grab some free wi-fi on the road!

APRS:
http://www.findu.com/cgi-bin/find.cgi?call=KI4KZW-15&radar=***

Cheers!
icon7.gif

Autonet

Yeah John, I hope we can get enough info. to see how good the coverage actually is...coming from VA, I use Verizon (great coverage in the east), and typically do pretty well in the northern plains, but we haven't made it to TX chasing during our May window since 2003, & Verizon coverage seemed much spottier down there back then. I don't have any experience with Sprint/Nextel, so someone who uses Sprint may be able to give us some input on southern plains coverage...

The MacWorld info is somewhat of an amplification of the same PR from early January. The use of the Verizon/Sprint/Nextel networks is a consequence of the technology. I hope I'm wrong, but I really wouldn't count on renting this system unless you're a fleet owner or rental car customer -- and even the latter isn't available yet AFAIK. Here's why.

AFAIK an aircard requires a phone number, and is assigned by a carrier. The carrier manages the account according to the access terms it has negotiated with the other carriers which handle that sort of traffic. In other words, the internal aircard(s) are specific for and managed by specific carriers. All carriers are offering competitive broadband access plans at more than $50/month with a contract. They would be cutting their own throats if they gave Auto Mobile such a sweet deal that they could take a cut and offer month-to-month service at $50/month to individual accounts. Not going to happen IMHO.

FYI, found this useful site of a competitor(?) to Auto Mobile: http://www.internetinmotion.net/

Last edited by a moderator:
The MacWorld info is somewhat of an amplification of the same PR from early January. The use of the Verizon/Sprint/Nextel networks is a consequence of the technology. I hope I'm wrong, but I really wouldn't count on renting this system unless you're a fleet owner or rental car customer -- and even the latter isn't available yet AFAIK. Here's why.

AFAIK an aircard requires a phone number, and is assigned by a carrier. The carrier manages the account according to the access terms it has negotiated with the other carriers which handle that sort of traffic. In other words, the internal aircard(s) are specific for and managed by specific carriers. All carriers are offering competitive broadband access plans at more than $50/month with a contract. They would be cutting their own throats if they gave Auto Mobile such a sweet deal that they could take a cut and offer month-to-month service at $50/month to individual accounts. Not going to happen IMHO.

That's just a tech issue. I'm sure the companies could implement a number that can be registered on all providers. It would only be an issue of whether they would want to do this or not. AutoNet says they are the intermediary and have already arranged this. So...sounds like it will happen to me. The providers probably consider this additional niche income from their infrastructure for the time being as AutoNet would start with small market share. Most people wouldn't know about it for some time so it may be selling to people that wouldn't be using their service (Verizon, Nextel, Sprint) anyway.

Thanks for posting that about wifi set up

Interesting that it was on a mac website. That set up is too costly for me . I will try to make due with a wifi pcmia card and set up in OS9 with my older but still love g3 mac laptop.
Hopefully that will tide me over. I can't afford a new laptop. (I already have a desktop and bought my wife a new Macpro which she loves).

Thanks for that link Dave, that article answers a few questions. Looks like we'll have some good feedback on this system within a few months now that a few chasers will be using it.

Phil and I have tried to contact them again a number of times without luck and have no clue when these devices will be available and with vacation starting in 9 days we may not get to test it out like I had hoped.

Just to make sure I did have internet access gor my Gr3 I bought a cingular sierra aircard 875 and it works ok (except in NW oklahoma ofcourse) but needs an external antenna so I ordered an external 40" 11db gain antenna to plug into the card. if I cant hold a signal with that then its hopeless :)

If we get the autonet device in time we will test it against the sprint card and cingular card. botht cards having external antennas.

I'm using a device this year that seems to be working great.

I use an updated Sprint card for internet that gets the fast EVDO (or whatever its called..), and a Lynksys WRT45G3G router for mobile broadband.

Basically, the Lynksys box turns your cellular card into a WIFI hotspot. You plug the card into the router box...and turn it on. Works like a WIFI signal. Converts the cellular data connect to a WIFI hub. Several laptops can use it at the same time. Connect an amplifier with an outdoor cellular antenna...and you're good to go. You can also put an external WIFI antenna for multiple vehicle connectivity.

You can leave the device running in the vehicle, and then several laptops can get to it while you're grabbing a bite to eat at McDonalds (my favorite).

Works great.

Tim

I don't know Bill, I don't know if it was the Nextel merger or the new roaming agreement with Alltel, or the new towers, or a combination of them all, but Sprint has TREMENDOUSLY improved areas where we have data.[...]Needless to say, I have been very impressed with Sprint's efforts in that area.

I'm still not real big on my Sprint coverage. I use a Sprint contract through my biz and I will not renew with them. If I'm not travelling the interstates, my coverage is spotty to nil in S SD, NE, W IA, or N KS.

My fiance gets a discount on her Alltell service through her employer. I just ordered a PC data card from them yesterday for $189. A lot, yes, but, since it's through a business channel partner, they waive the $25 activation fee. Also, I don't have to sign ANY contract and I can drop anytime and renew anytime with no activation fee. If I only use it in Spring/Summer, I should save about $600 over two years up this way.

Geo

Last edited by a moderator:
Back