New incar wi-fi setup

Curious, did you ever notice any delays in the downloading the radar on GRL3? (sometimes with a slow connection you have to wait a while... effectively slowing your updates to the 8-10 minute range... or worse)

The GRL3 updates were coming in about every 4-5 minutes like they're supposed to, the images changing very quickly once they did change ... and we had some pulse storms on our route a few times (and solid moderate-heavy rain the last 4 hours of our trip back to VA) to test the accuracy of what it was showing ... the connection was really fast, just a hair slower than what you would get with standard high speed Internet in a home or business (and quite a bit faster/more reliable than many hotel wi-fi setups)

Autonet Mobile Update

I put the Autonet mobile wi-fi rig through the paces this past week throughout the southeastern U.S., stretching from VA all the way south to Sarasota Florida. Coverage was extensive...in fact, 100%. I checked the LED status when I wasn't actually on my laptop, and it simply stayed "on" throughout the entire trip. Flirted with some photogenic storms along the Gulf Coast for a few days and web data/GR3 blazed when loading. For southeastern U.S. chasers, coverage would appear to be complete and very fast. The general Ohio Valley (WV/KY/OH/IN) region is next in line. This unit continues to be VERY impressive.

Last Test for Autonet router

Steve Keighton, the SOO at the Blacksburg NWSFO will roll through the Ohio Valley and then into IL/WI and west to the northern plains beginning later this week, which will pretty much complete our coverage "test" of the Autonet Mobile unit. This should give the OH Valley & WI/MI/MN chasers a good idea of coverage there. I'll post the final tally of coverage when he reports back.

Last edited by a moderator:
Autonet availability

...I haven't been in touch with them since early June after the initial test run. Paul Stofer earlier in this thread indicated they were looking toward a late summer start, and I don't know anything different at this point. I will try to contact them after our last upcoming testing trip, and will post it here. I think both Kevin Myatt and I agree...after using this rig, we simply HAVE to have it for chasing from this point on. It is that good.

Autonet Coverage

...the last piece of the puzzle is the northern coverage. We will know that in a couple of weeks. My plan is to drop my cell plan to a minimum number of minutes (I never use it outside of chasing anyway) to help offset the cost for the Autonet service. I find myself using it at home a bunch too. But on the road is where it shines: for me it represents a huge step forward in both consistency and simpicity in getting data.

My question is the contract you have to sign for the service.

What I like about WxWorks is that you can turn the service on and off so you don't have to continue paying for service you're not using (during winter). That's a big reason I won't get Cingular or Sprint data card is becuase they make you sign a contract for like a year or 2.

Will this system be the same? Will I have to sign a 2 year contract? I think this is the main thing storm chasers will be wondering because I think many are like me and only want the service during the chase season.

Autonet contracts, etc....

Yeah, for chasing, monthly terms would be ideal with this unit. I will specifically try to get that information as well as a general roll-out date when we report back to the Autonet folks after the OH Valley/northern test.

Trying to keep up with this thread...can't wait till they release the product. This should be great for those long trips to Canada or anywhere else for that matter.

Thanks for the update..

The big question remains, will we be forced to sign up for a 2 year contract or will this be similar to WxWork billing where we can turn it on and off so that we aren't paying $50 during winter when chasers like myself won't be using it.

Who are they using as thier Celluar provider? If there is roaming in Canada You should find out what the roaming charges are. You don't want to go to the Great White North only to come home to huge roaming charges.
Trying to keep up with this thread...can't wait till they release the product. This should be great for those long trips to Canada or anywhere else for that matter.

From another forum -

"have this capability now. I use my EVDO phone from sprint as a wireless modem tethered to a laptop either via blue tooth or usb cable. If I so choose, I could setup a wireless router in the truck and anyone within 100ft or more of the vehicle could have access to my wireless connection if I choose.

The speeds of EVDO average close to 1mbps"

So what is the difference between the AutoNet Product and what the above poster said?
-----

Also - they won't offer it in Canada until next year. I asked them about roaming and they said there will be no roaming fees. Still waiting for an answer on the month by month question.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back