New board software online (March 13)

This limit can't easily be changed without me going into the mysql configuration and messing around, but you can just put in _GPS instead of GPS and it will give you the results.

Tim

Something I've noticed is that you can't search the forums for anything less than a four letter word. I went to do a search with "GPS" in it and got that error. If that is a limit that can be reconfigured to include 3 letter words also, that would be helpful.
[/b]

I'm sure you've got a long list of things to do...and maybe this is already on there, but I'd like to see the Indexer part of the forum be repeated at the bottom of the thread. IE...for this thread

Stormtrack > Forums > Information Desk > New board software online (March 13)

It sucks having to scroll all the way back up to the top to get back to the parent of this thread. I know there's the combo box down there, and that should be fine, but I'd prefer the index being put in.

Thanks!

One thing I am having trouble with is having it save my password so that I am always logged in. I know other boards that run this software I had trouble with as well, but it works now. So I'm just now sure if I'm doing something wrong or what?

Another thing that is a nice feature is having the quick reply! If you could bring up that feature I'm sure a lot of people would enjoy that, I noticed others had liked the quick edit. This quick reply is even better! :)

Fast reply is now enabled.

Also I have duplicated the navigation on the bottom of the page, but it does not include the thread name (use the page buttons, which are at the bottom of a thread, to return to the first page of a thread).

Tim

One thing I am having trouble with is having it save my password so that I am always logged in. I know other boards that run this software I had trouble with as well, but it works now. So I'm just now sure if I'm doing something wrong or what?[/b]

It's a cookie problem, which would implicate the browser, too:

If using IE 6+:

Click Tools|Internet Options, then select the Privacy Tab.
Click the 'edit' button near the lower right hand corner
Type in stormtrack.org in the text box.
Click "ALLOW".
When you're done, click OK.

Don't have a second browser open as the site will get confused and lose your session.

Also make sure your firewall is not blocking cookies.

If you have another browser we'll need to have details & version number.

Tim

I'm running the latest version of firefox, 1.5.0.1 I believe it is. I thought I might have had the problem solved, but it didn't work. Suggestions?

Try Options > Privacy > Cookies then go to Exceptions and put stormtrack.org under "Allowed". That panel should solve the problem somehow.

I've been using Firefox 1.0.3 and 1.5.0.1 to do a ton of maintenance the past few days, and under test accounts too, and have not seen any expiring session problems at all.

Tim

I'm running the latest version of firefox, 1.5.0.1 I believe it is. I thought I might have had the problem solved, but it didn't work. Suggestions?
[/b]

ok wow, uhm why I do i have to be in the minority :angry:
I never have been a fan of radical changes, and this certainly classifies as radical. I almost need a handbook to understand all the new features on here, i.e. whats the plus/minus at bottom left? Whats "Guided mode off"?
Im more for step change. I wish Tim had posted a sticky on both this forum (Info Desk) and Weather and Chasing a week earlier announcing this new change with a preview of what it would look like, then I would prob not be so shocked and bent out of shape.
I think someone earlier mentioned something about changing the skin to give it a better look. I would most def be in favor of that, cause something about this new format/look has got to change.
Everything about this new version is a lot bigger and "in your face".
Im also not a fan of the appearance of the quotes on a thread. I think its too computerized, big, large, boxy and obnoxious. I like the way it was before. I think this also goes for the new format as a whole.
Something else I dont like about this new forum format is the white background. Correct me if Im wrong but I dont believe the previous version (Ill be darned if I call it 'older') had a white background, I believe it was kinda a dark shade of blue or grey. Now having said all that, I must say, I do like the "file attachment" feature as oppossed to having to upload a picture onto some website, i.e. Thomas myspace editor or imageshack. Im also still trying to get used to what all the different color "briefcase" looking icons next to each thread represent.
But as a final word to this thread topic, something about this new look, be it color or layout, needs to be changed, preferably to something that in some level resembles the previous ST forum layout.

EDIT: Dang even when I want to edit a post I have to choose something. Good grief. Anywayz I was going to say that I miss how at the top of each forum "room" it would tell you who all was in that "room" or forum you are in. I see now you have to scroll all the way to the bottom, I just kinda licked it being at the top. Oh also if you noticed from the previous version that "whos in this forum" feature at the top wasnt in some kind of enclosed rectangular bar like everything on here is. I guess only Tim would be able to see that since hes the only one that still can view the previous layout. For those that have a photographic memory, you know what all im talking about.
Im sure this wont be my last edit to my response to this thread/topic.

EDIT2: I knew Id find something else that I had a question about. I dont understand why there are stars next to some threads and not others and exactly what they mean?

Thanks for the comments. The forum is really an upgrade... the old phpBB was getting patched and repatched and we were starting to have some security concerns. Also we didn't have a way of keeping unruly users from posting in the important forecast forums without banning them (something we didn't want to do except as a last resort). Currently we have a LOT of new tools at our disposal... in our admin forum the moderators are oohing or aahing over some of what's available, like the ability to move an individual post to another thread.

That said, yes, the layout is a bit busy and overwhelming, something I don't care for much either. Anthony Petito, who offered to redo the skins, said it would probably be too difficult to emulate the old look. But if there's individual features you like, I might be able to work them in somehow.

Here's the old board in case you want to look at it (it's frozen):
http://www.stormtrack.org/forumold

Tim

how come some people can add a title under their name, while others cannot?
[/b]

Mike,

Anyone can add a little extra text under their name. Go to My Controls >> Edit Personal Information [under "Personal Profile"] and add what you want to the "Custom Member Title" field.

Mike,

Anyone can add a little extra text under their name. Go to My Controls >> Edit Personal Information [under "Personal Profile"] and add what you want to the "Custom Member Title" field.
[/b]

It seems not everyone has that option, I do not have a "custom member title" field.

Imagine my suprise when I logged in, at first I thought I had been sent to one of my football boards and was about the check the sensitivity level on my new laptop...again.

Appreciate the ways that you go above and beyond to keep our chaser home up and current, Tim.
Looks great!

:)

Back